Peppermint oil for cooling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peppermint oil for cooling?

The other day I tried some new foot lotion that contained peppermint oil. Without thinking, I used quite a bit and a few minutes later, WOW! My hands and feet were like blocks of tingly ice.
    I am a bit intolerant of heat - makes me tired, blurry vision, hard to walk, etc. I started to wonder if peppermint oil could actually cool your body temp.
    Looking around online, I've found that some people actually add a drop or two to water for drinking. Has anyone tried this? Does it have any positive effects? Planning to try it myself once I can get to the health store and ask for some more info on it....

I do not believe peppermint has the ability to actually lower the bodys "core temp". It MAY help you with the discomfort of being hot, though. That would be worth it. Just know that other measures can also be used to cool yourself, including a cooling vest that you can get from the NMS society. If you qualify it is of no charge.

Other things to keep you cool: Wear cotton, as it "breaths". Wear light colors, when in the sun. Drink a LOT of water (cool water). DON"T wear a hat unless it is a straw hat, or one that can let air get in to your head. Keep a damp washcloth with you, so you can put it on the back of your neck to help with immediate cooling. Invest in a squirt bottle. It helps the same way our sweat cools us, by allowing evaporatioin of heat, away from the body.

I have faith that others will share techniques they use to keep cool, especially with summer just around the corner.

Stay cool!
    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Thanks for your comments. That's what I was wondering about - the core temp.
      Yep, as much as I dislike winter, at least it's cooool!

Comment

Working...
      X