Making the best of a bad experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making the best of a bad experience

I had no idea where to put this thread, so admins, feel free to move it anywhere you want.

I just want to explain what we (husband and I experienced today) and to pass it on in case someone faces the same situation in their future.

Today we put down dog number 2. Dog number 1 had to be put to sleep about 6 months ago due to a stroke, she was elderly, it was sudden, and there was no decision to be made really. My husband took her to the vet, and she was incapacitated from the stroke, so they gave her a sedative then the euthanasia drug.

Dog number 2 was only 7, and had been diagnosed with lymphoma shortly after Dog 1's death. He went into remission then relapsed with a vengeance. We knew the time was near because his neck glands were affecting his eating and breathing, but we also knew he was Dogzilla at the vet's office (we adopted him when he was 2 and wasn't really sure why he hated vets, but he hated them...and he was a BIG dog and scary at the vets, even though he was always gentle everywhere else.) So we were in a dilemma about how it was going to play out. We didn't want him to suffer, he had times of seeming healthy if you don't count the two lemon sized nodes in his neck, and we didn't know when to make the decision to put him down.

Enter "in home vets that specialize in hospice evaluations and in home euthanasia." I had heard about this type of vet but never investigated. We filled out some forms online, then they said to call them when we felt he should be put down, or wanted an assessment. So we made the call yesterday and it was such a relief to have a vet examine the dog, and discuss the situation without the dog being in freak out mode because he was at the vets.

She confirmed our fears about the large nodes in his neck affecting his breathing. And we made the decision to have him put to sleep. He was relaxed and "at home" which made it easier on us and easier for him. The cost was only a little more than at the vet's office. But well worth the extra money for our peace of mind, and the dog's non-stressful end of life.

So just wanted to pass that on to anyone who might find they have to euthanize your pet. See if you have an in home vet service in your area.

Thanks for passing this information along and I'm so sorry about both your losses.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss. Our pets take such a big piece of our hearts when they leave us behind. Losing two so closely together must be even harder.

You did the right thing for both your pups. We have to be their advocate and make these difficult choices for them. I'm totally on board with home euthanasia. I think it's much less stressful for both the dogs and their owners. I wish my vet did this but he doesn't.

Comment

So sorry about the loss of your 2 pets. They do become part of our families and fill our hearts with so much love. They can be the best therapy anyone could ask for.

I had never heard of this service, so thank you for sharing.

Hugs.

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss of your furbabies. I had to have my beloved 17 yr old Malta-Poo put to sleep and it was the hardest decision I have ever faced. But it is always done with compassion. Thanks for sharing your story about home euthanasia in hopes it may help someone else.
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi rdmc,

I'm also sorry to hear about your dogs. They become such a huge part of our families and it's hard to let them go and/ or watch them suffer. I'm glad you were able to find this service, goodness, something I also never knew. Found out it's available around here, too. Might have been easier for us when we had to put our last dog down.

Our pets even become a part of our extended family. There was a definite void when my brother's dog wasn't around anymore last weekend at my niece's birthday party. He was older than she was!

They had to put down their almost 16 year old (by a week and a half) Lab/ Collie mix after he slipped going outside and injured a leg/ hip that was already significantly affected by arthritis. They knew the time was coming because of his age (still not easy). But when all he would do was yelp in pain during the night, they knew they had to do something. And of course, it just had to happen on a Saturday night. At least they were able to locate a 24 hour emergency vet clinic across town, where they took him in the middle of the night.

I hope you find comfort in knowing and that you gave them both such a loving home. Thanks for sharing this information with us.

Hugs,
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
            X