Thigh redness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thigh redness

I was in the shower this morning when I noticed a spot on my right thigh that was a pinkish color. It was about an inch wide, and it was right where I injected exactly one week ago. There is no pain or itching, but I do notice if I push on it, I can feel a slight bump in that area. That was my fourth injection (first full injection though since I titrated), and this is the first time I've noticed any kind of change in my skin. It was my last dose using the prefilled syringe.

I called the Avonex number and the girl on the phone was clueless (just like last week when I had a question about side effects). All she did was look at the side effects list and told me to keep an eye on it and call my dr if it doesn't clear up. I am calling my dr anyway because I find it very weird that it waited a week before any kind of change, but I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else?
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Just an update, I did hear from my dr and he was just as clueless as the girl from Biogen. He wondered if some of it went subcutaneously, but even if that were the case, wouldn't I have seen it Saturday or Sunday? I definitely do not think that is what caused it. The only other thing he could think of is if it somehow got infected, so I need to watch it and see someone about it if it gets worse.

Now I've still got no answers, and if it is some kind of reaction, I'll only make it worse tonight by injecting again. I guess I know to watch the new site much more closely, but this is ridiculous. They're supposed to be the professionals, and they don't know any more than I do.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13

Comment

Originally posted by lstrl View Post
      ... if it is some kind of reaction, I'll only make it worse tonight by injecting again.
      Please use your left leg tonight. You should never inject into an area still scarred or bruised from an earlier injection.

I don't have a good answer for your right leg condition, as I've never had anything that exactly matches what you describe. As you have had no similar reactions to previous shots, I would be tempted to write it off and just watch it closely for now.

Comment

First, I agree with TLC. You should use the other leg. I always switch legs each week. I did make the mistake once of giving myself the injection in one of my thighs two weeks in a row & my thigh was incredibly sore for the rest of the week the 2nd time, even though it had been a different area. Never did that again.

Second, after a few weeks of injections, I was getting red spots also, they would show up a few days after the injection. However, they were sore to the touch, like a bruise. They were basically deep bruises. Not sure if yours were sore.

I began applying a lot of pressure to the site after injection to stop any bleeding, even if I didn't see blood. And sometimes would apply ice to the area for about 15 min afterwards. It seemed to help.

I think it was just my muscle getting used to the trauma because now I never get them anymore.
        Diagnosed: May 2012
        Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
        Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

Thanks so much for the advice. It is such a relief knowing that I can come on here and talk to people who are taking the same meds.

Sorry, I should have clarified. When I was worried about making a reaction worse, I meant that now I'd have one on the left to match the right. I honestly don't think that's what's going on though because I would think it would be painful or itchy, and it's neither. I bet it'll go away in a few days. It's not warm to the touch either, so I don't think it's an infection.

I'm just letting Avonex freak me out too much. I haven't had horrible experiences, but anything that I feel that I know is related to the med just totally creeps me out. That makes the symptom feel 10 times worse to me, just because it's a scary experience for me right now.

I just used the pen for the first time tonight and it was totally painless (that's a first). I didn't even feel the needle go in, although I am slightly worried that it was sub-q instead of IM, but being pain free, maybe that means I'm wrong. I'm now about 20 minutes post-injection and I feel just like I did before injecting, so I've avoided that horrible shakiness that I got the last time I injected in the left. I hope it stays that way and I can quit dreading Friday night from now on.
          Diagnosed 1/4/13

Comment

Working...
          X