Just started Avonex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just started Avonex

I just took my first dose of Avonex last night a little before going to bed. Before I had a chance to fall asleep, I noticed I started getting a little shaky, but I wasn't cold. I got up this morning and it's like I haven't taken anything at all. This was only 1/4 dose and I took an Aleve 4 hours before and then another a couple minutes after I injected, based on the recommendation of my dr, but so far, so good. I want every injection to go this well.

I think I stared at that needle about 5 minutes before I finally forced myself to just do it. I'm such a needle phobe! Then I shouted out as it went through my skin, but I realized after I pulled it out that I was just being overly dramatic. It really wasn't that bad at all. I still don't think that's going to make it any easier to just get it over with next week though.

I know my dr's office ordered the pen, so next month I should be able to use that and it'll hopefully ease my anxiety about stabbing myself in the leg once a week. I am wondering though, when you pull this pen out of the box, is it really easy to figure out? The Avonex nurse I talked to really sucks, and she made it sound like it was such a hassle for me to get any kind of instruction, so I'm on my own with this. I was a nurse before the MS caught up with me, so I know how to give IM injections (although my specialty didn't ever require me to give injections and I can count on one hand the number of injections I gave while I still worked), but it is so different when you're doing it to yourself.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

I no longer take Avonex, but have you looked into using the pen? Just a thought. At least that way you wouldn't have to look at the needle.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

The pen will definitely help with needle anxiety. I am a serious needle-phobe and I can do it with no problem.

I had to do the regular needles when I started too for the titration (got a relative to do it for me). First couple shots, I noticed some minor side effects but by the time I got to the full dose, I wasn't experiencing them anymore.

Were you shaking or shivering? Side effects are flu like. I'm one of the fortunate ones that gets no side effects, except when I hit a vein. Then my body aches & I shiver all over. By morning, I am fine.

Do not try to figure out the pen on your own. You may not need the nurse though. Avonex has a video tutorial, if you can't it find it on their website, call them & they can direct you to it. I did this rather than having the nurse come out.

The location you give yourself the shot is different from the needle, there's also a locking mechanism, etc. I could go through all the details but I would much rather you watch the video.
      Diagnosed: May 2012
      Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
      Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

You have to stab yourself. It's a rite of passage and it means you will look at the pen and think your life has never been so good since you got the pen

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll have to find that video when the time gets closer to using the pen.

The night I took the Avonex, I was shivering a little bit just like you do when you get cold, but I wasn't cold. I also felt a little weird (hard to explain though), but it didn't affect me falling asleep and when I woke up, everything was totally normal. I hope I'm one of the lucky ones too.

BigA, that's a sad reality, but it did make me laugh.
          Diagnosed 1/4/13

Comment

I used the Avonex needle for 2 years and when my insurance finally approved the pen, I quickly jumped on board! It was getting to the point that my anxiety was making it very difficult to put that needle in my leg! I love the pen, I don't have to see the needle go in my leg! The "snap" of the pen was tuff the first few injections but now its nothing! Good Luck to you!

Comment

I have been using the pen for 3 weeks. The first time the nurse showed me. Then I was able to did it myself in front of her. I clearly remember the steps from that visit. Once you have done it, it will be easy. I like the pen a lot better then the syringe. You don't have to look at that needle, plus I can't even fill the tiny needle go in. It is super easy.
              MS.Cure.Believe
              Diagnosed 11-11-12
              Multiple Sclerosis
              Syringomyelia, Syrnix
              Avonex user

Comment

Keep Going With The Avonex Pen & Your Life.

I am relatively new to MS.
                17 shots of Avonex Pen so far. Chills only as a side effect...but they subside. Last 4 shots, no side effects.

Walking, but no driving for now.
                Am a very young 65.

Looking for love again after 38 years of marriage.

2 beautiful children. & 2 beautiful grandchildren.

I am in NJ. My children are in Pittsburgh.

Jordan (A very nice Jewish loving man)

Originally posted by lstrl View Post
                I just took my first dose of Avonex last night a little before going to bed. Before I had a chance to fall asleep, I noticed I started getting a little shaky, but I wasn't cold. I got up this morning and it's like I haven't taken anything at all. This was only 1/4 dose and I took an Aleve 4 hours before and then another a couple minutes after I injected, based on the recommendation of my dr, but so far, so good. I want every injection to go this well.

I think I stared at that needle about 5 minutes before I finally forced myself to just do it. I'm such a needle phobe! Then I shouted out as it went through my skin, but I realized after I pulled it out that I was just being overly dramatic. It really wasn't that bad at all. I still don't think that's going to make it any easier to just get it over with next week though.

I know my dr's office ordered the pen, so next month I should be able to use that and it'll hopefully ease my anxiety about stabbing myself in the leg once a week. I am wondering though, when you pull this pen out of the box, is it really easy to figure out? The Avonex nurse I talked to really sucks, and she made it sound like it was such a hassle for me to get any kind of instruction, so I'm on my own with this. I was a nurse before the MS caught up with me, so I know how to give IM injections (although my specialty didn't ever require me to give injections and I can count on one hand the number of injections I gave while I still worked), but it is so different when you're doing it to yourself.

Comment

I just had shot #2 last night and it's been 14 hours and no symptoms! This time it burned a lot as I injected the med (who knew going from 1/4 to 1/2 dose would make such a big difference), but once it was done and I pulled the needle out, that's all I felt! I also only stared at the needle for less than a minute before I got the guts to just jab it in.

I watched a video on Youtube that showed the difference between the prefilled syringe and the pen and the needle on the pen is so much smaller! At least the first time, did you ever accidentally pull it out as the needle went into your skin? Now I'm concerned if I do the pen, I'll be injecting it subcutaneously instead of IM.
                  Diagnosed 1/4/13

Comment

Working...
                  X