Movies and TV with MS involved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movies and TV with MS involved?

What are the movies and tv episodes that have MS involved in some way?

I know that tv's The West Wing had the president with the disease. Never watched the series despite the popularity, but am quite curious on how they did the more MS related episodes, and if you know of these specific episodes, please let me know.

A few movies I have on my to-watch list in such a category are: Go Now, Hilary and Jackie, and Guru.

Feel free to comment on any movies/tv that you know of, whether you despised it, or felt it was great. Thanks for all comments and input!

You will have to look for the re-runs...

I loved the series, Sue Thomas, F.B.Eye and her incredible dog, Levi. It was a wonderful story about Sue who had MS and worked for the FBI in spite of her disabilities. She did a book tour and was an inspiring speaker. I would love to see her again and hope she is doing well. I was delighted to run across a re-run of one of the series recently. If you do, you will enjoy it!

Comment

Ummm, I do believe that Sue Thomas FBI was about the first deaf woman to work for the FBI (and that she did not have MS). She was hired for her ability to read lips on video where no sound was available, and her dog Levi was a trained hearing-ear dog.

Here is a list of what I found on Google:
      Hilary and Jackie
      Eden
      Duet for One
      Go Now
      A dream is a wish your heart makes (about Annette Funicello) - TV Movie
      Freak City (TV Movie)
      Swim Lessons: The Nick Irons Story (Documentary)
      Forever Knight (TV Series)
      In Sickness and in Health (TV Movie)
      Edie & Thea: A Very Long Engagement (Documentary)
      Guru

This list is from imdb.com
      20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

Comment

Young and the Restless

Nikki Newman on Y&R was recently diagnosed.

I hope the writers do some research and depict the disease realistically. The disease is so complex and idiosyncratic.

We shall see .....

Comment

I've watched Y&R for years and was glad to see MS introduced. I'm always glad to see a show that increases public awareness of MS.

Comment

I just caught part of an old episode of Criminal Minds the other day and there was a guy in a wheelchair. I just happened to hear him say "when the MS put me in the chair." That was the extent that I caught it (can't remember how the earlier parts of the episode went since I didn't catch that), but that was not what I wanted to hear. I guess I'd rather them paint a picture that it's really not that bad than to see people who can't even walk anymore.
            Diagnosed 1/4/13
            Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

An old episode of Family Guy. Peter had an old classmate that was using crutches. Peter asked him why and he said he had MS. Peter replied with something about "Monkey Scrotum". That is now what it is referred to as in our house. Gotta find something about it to joke about!

Comment

Love the The West Wing -- one of our favourite family DVD's -- we have the whole series. One of the most well-written TV shows of all time. It's become even more interesting to me this year because of the MS story line and whatever is going on with me.

It's an amazing show .. I suggest watching the whole thing ... MS is threaded through subtlety much of the time, then of course other times it's a bigger part of the plot.

Comment

Scrubs

Scrubs is one of my favorites. I'm sure since it is set in a hospital there are many MS references, but I caught an indirect one the other day while watching a rerun.

It's the episode guest staring Michael J. Fox as a brilliant doctor with OCD. He went to Med school with with Dr. Cox, and the two are rivals.

Dr. Cox wanted to show him up, so he made the interns quiz the two of them. Dr. Cox's question was: "What is the demyelinating CNS disorder associated with the JC virus?" Of course he knew the answer was PML. I did too and yelled it at the screen. Then I was a little sad I knew the answer.
                  Optic Neuritis in 2004, Dx with RRMS in 2012. Copaxone, Sept. 2012 - September 2013. Gilenya, February 2014 -

Comment

Happy Valley on Netflix streaming has a character with MS. She is a fully developed character & MS is only a sideline. She uses a crutch & they need to be careful that the places they go are accessible. Her husband helps with her socks & getting into bed while they're talking about other things. They have 2 children.

I won't tell you what the character does or is like but she's actually quite surprising.

Comment

Working...
                    X