No announcement yet.

Aubagio -- my experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is month 3 and my approval (or not approved) still hasn't gone through. Better luck to you. I think I read other people got approved within just one month. I have Medicare with Humana as my Part D plan so maybe that's the difference. Other people have better insurance because possibly they are still working (?)

Comment

Emily, some drug companies pick up the cost of lab work, etc. (Tysabri for JCV testing, Gilenya for heart monitor), but otherwise it's up to the patient to pay, unfortunately. I think I had a pregnancy test, a tuberculosis screen, and a blood panel/liver function panel before I started, and while my insurance covered it, it was definitely up to me to make sure it was paid. I'm surprised it wasn't covered for you! What a terrible shock.

Hopefully you guys can start the med soon. It took me a long time as well to get the process going.

Comment

I am also on Medicare and with Humana. The approval has been a nightmare! First Humana denied the drug and I filed an appeal. Humana finally approved the drug but my co-pay is over $1500 per month because the drug company cannot give co-pay assistance to people on Medicare. People NOT on Medicare can get co-pay assistance from the drug company and the co-pay is $35. I can't afford the co-pay and can't get a straight answer why Medicare recipients are treated so badly. I did start the medication but don't know what I will do when my savings run out.

Comment

Originally posted by loopey View Post
          I am also on Medicare and with Humana. The approval has been a nightmare! First Humana denied the drug and I filed an appeal. Humana finally approved the drug but my co-pay is over $1500 per month because the drug company cannot give co-pay assistance to people on Medicare. People NOT on Medicare can get co-pay assistance from the drug company and the co-pay is $35. I can't afford the co-pay and can't get a straight answer why Medicare recipients are treated so badly. I did start the medication but don't know what I will do when my savings run out.
          I'd be calling my MS One-on-One nurse ASAP - they originally told me their copay was $35 per month max before they knew who my insurance coverage was thru.

You would think they'd want users and not prevent those on Medicare from getting the reduced copay.

Comment

Alicious,
            Thank you for creating this thread. I will be checking it often, as I am going to be starting a drug that is a metabolite of Aubagio for my Psoriatic Arthritis. My Neruo said she is going to withold any "MS DMD", because she wants to see what this medicine will also do for my MS ("killing 2 birds with one stone, hopefully")
            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Please keep us posted on your arthritis and how the med works for that and your MS. There is a med for rheumatoid arthritis called Arava (leflunomide), and Aubagio (teriflunomide) is the active metabolite of Arava, as I understand it. I know RA and PA are two different conditions, but s it Arava you will be taking?

A good friend of mine has psoriatic arthritis; it's no fun at all.

Comment

...aaaaand I'm on cholestyramine to wash this stuff out of my system. The GI effects largely faded, but I started losing 3x as much hair every day as I normally do, and I have fine hair. After two weeks of that I can tell a difference just runining my fingers through my hair.

Time to switch meds.

Comment

Originally posted by Alicious View Post
                  ...aaaaand I'm on cholestyramine to wash this stuff out of my system. The GI effects largely faded, but I started losing 3x as much hair every day as I normally do, and I have fine hair. After two weeks of that I can tell a difference just runining my fingers through my hair.

Time to switch meds.
                  Alicious - sorry to hear this, good luck to you.

If you can, please keep us posted on how the wash-out goes, then what med direction you end up going.

Comment

I'm switching to Tecfidera; my prescription is already in. I've used Copaxone (not effective enough) and interferons (terrible side effects that never subsided, then suicidal thoughts that stopped after I stopped the med), so I'm on to new things.

The wash out is fine. Basically, you're mixing a gritty powder into water 3x/day for 11 days and drinking it. I'm adding Tang to mine because while it says it is orange flavored, it lies. You can mix it with juice or other liquids per the instructions, so no biggie. It's not fun to drink, but it's not too bad. I tried OJ, but it came with terrible heartburn, I assume from the cholestyramine.

It pulls free bile out of your intestines so you can pass it, instead of the bile being recycled within your body. This translates to an incredible number of bowel movements (sorry!). I also have heartburn, but that has been easily treatable with over the counter medications. So, the wash out isn't fun, but it's really not so bad, either. Nothing to worry about if you ever have to do it.

Now if only my dang hair would stop coming out! I look the same, but I can feel a difference, and I have a lot of (fine) hair. UGH.

Comment

I started Aubagio on Feb. 18th, I have dealt with alot of the side effects everyone is talking about. But was wondering did anyone notice or have this happen to them, about an hour or two after taking medicine my vision goes all blurry on me. Once again the nurses didn't know about it and suggested I call my Dr. which he said lets just keep eye on it. (Hmmmm Imagine that all blurry) LOL Gotta laugh Anyway was curious if anyone else had that happen?

Seeing double & confused
                      Life is like a coin u can spend it any way u want, but u can only spend it once!

Comment

Nice pun!

I didn't have that side effect, but I'm glad you told your doctor. I wonder what that could be about?

Comment

No vision issues for me.

Comment

Originally posted by pb909 View Post
                            I'd be calling my MS One-on-One nurse ASAP - they originally told me their copay was $35 per month max before they knew who my insurance coverage was thru.

You would think they'd want users and not prevent those on Medicare from getting the reduced copay.
                            My Neuro prescribed this for me yesterday and I got a call this morning from a MS One-to-One rep that said my insurance covered it and my co-pay would be $55.00. I have insurance through my wife's job and medicare through Cigna, not sure which covered or if they are both splitting the cost. I wonder if they up'd the max co-pay since it's not the $35.00 you stated?
                            Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by daveb View Post
                              My Neuro prescribed this for me yesterday and I got a call this morning from a MS One-to-One rep that said my insurance covered it and my co-pay would be $55.00. I have insurance through my wife's job and medicare through Cigna, not sure which covered or if they are both splitting the cost. I wonder if they up'd the max co-pay since it's not the $35.00 you stated?
                              Maybe they did - when I started this past Jan:
                              My insurance co-pay is $100 for 3 month supply, so that is under the MS One-to-One $35 per month ($105 3 month).

Comment

Originally posted by T1ffEst View Post
                                I have been on aubagio for 28 days now. No side effects but I have progressed. So don't know if its working or not!
                                This is where 'm at also. I've been taking aubagio since March..so only about 2 mos now.
                                I tested positive for tb, so antibiotics until November and I have to wonder what that is doing to my body.
                                Headaches now. No other se that i see.
                                I'm staying with this therapy now, but it is very frustrating to get worse just about everyday.
                                Laura

Comment

Working...
                                X