botox for the bladder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

botox for bladder

I just had my first treatment in early February and had good results immediately. I've had no leaking since that day. And no painful bladder spasms. I have an SP catheter and my bladder was becoming ultra-sensitive and painful when the tube was barely touched, changing it was horrible. Since the botox, the sensitivity has gone away.

Highly recommended! (While waiting for my first treatment, I took a medicine called pyridium that worked wonders for spasms, pain, and leaking. Turned my urine a scary dark orange-red though.)

Comment

a scary dark orange-red urine

Laurakim
      because you mentioned "a scary dark orange-red," I remember being on this drug. I was not prescribed it during Botox treatment. It was used during my UTI episodes.

WestMDWoman

Comment

Pyridium

Hello WestMDWoman,
        I believe pyridium is used most often for UTI discomfort but I was prescribed it for painful bladder spasms and severe leaking while awaiting my first Botox treatment. I'm now weaning off it but it sure did the trick for me at the time.
        Laurakim

Comment

Botox Injections

I've had MS for 25 years and bladder issues for 15. I waited too long before I saw a urologist. I thought that using Detrol and Poises was good enough. I was wrong. I did not know that I had a retention problem.I now have 'pockets' in my bladder and minimal kidney damage. My urologist thinks the damage is reversible.
          My urologist has recommend Botox and self catheterization.
          Could you tell me about the procedure for the Botox injections?
          Also, can they do a skin test to test for an allergic reaction before the procedure?

Comment

i'm surprised the uro would suggest botox since it can cause retention and u already have problems w/ it.
            MS dx's 2000
            Tysabrian

¤ fate is not just who's cooking smells good, but which way the wind blows ¤

Comment

I just wanted to know if during the procedure are u asleep or awake and if not can u feel anything? OH and where is the procedure done in office or hospital?
              "only the strong survive"

"God don't make mistakes"

Comment

@757

i've had the procedure 2 different ways. during the study i was in and then after i was out of the study. they are quite different! lol i think it's b/c trials don't want to pay for more than they are already? maybe?

during the study, i was fully awake w/ just lidocaine in my bladder. a catheter is inserted and a little needle and camera are inserted. i felt every stick when awake. it wasn't pleasant, but not horrible to where i wouldn't do it. i had it done 4x's that way. it was done in the dr's office.

after the study while having it done, i was knocked out using propofol and didn't feel a thing. it was done in an outpatient surgery center. i prefer this method. hah!

i think the second scenario is probably the method dr's use.

i hope that made sense.
                MS dx's 2000
                Tysabrian

¤ fate is not just who's cooking smells good, but which way the wind blows ¤

Comment

oooh ok I think I would rather do it the 2nd way too lol but thanks for the info
                  "only the strong survive"

"God don't make mistakes"

Comment

Out patient sounds like my choice!
                    I want a skin test done first to determine if I have an allergy to it. I am allergic to odd things.
                    Anyone ever done this?

Comment

looking for a solution to my bladder problem

Hi,
                      I was diagnosed with MS in 2001, but until recently, I started dealing with bladder control problems. Not to mention the embarrassment of the problem, It unfortunately controls your daily life. I tried some meds to help control it. Detrol LA 4 was one of them. It helped me at first, but now it seems to aggravate the problem more. I dread going to a urologist. I've been through so many things already, I just want to call it quits. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by allHailye2 View Post
                        I cannot rave more about bladder botox. It makes me "normal" again! I've had 5 or 6 treatments. (Memory issues lol) 1 of those was after the study ended using my insurance.

It's 20 shots into your bladder wall, by way of urethra. I go 6-9 months between treatments. I've never had to cath either
                        So cathing is not required, the bladder voids naturally?

Comment

Working...
                        X