botox for the bladder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

botox for the bladder?

Has anyone tried botox for your bladder. my bladder has gotten out of control and I rememeber my urologist saying something about botox but at the time I was to scared to get it. does anyone know how this work?
    "only the strong survive"

"God don't make mistakes"

OK, from my understanding, you have multiple botox injection into the wall of the bladder. This effectively paralyses the bladder, which means no spasms, no leaks.
    Unfortunately, you still need to empty the bladder 3-4 a day. For this, you'll need to self-catheterise.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

I cath my self all day long so that shouldn't be a problem.. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Botox for the bladder

I completed 4 years (Fall 2012) in the study to get Botox for the bladder FDA approved. Learning to self-cath was a requirement. That was one of the best things I ever did for myself. I am now truly in control of my bladder. Univ of MD's Dr. Chai is the wonderful urologist that I worked with. I will be visiting a new urologist because Dr. Chai has taken a position at Yale. I see Dr. Rickey next week. We'll discuss my next procedure.
        I recommend this procedure if you find a competent doctor.

WestMDWoman

Comment

thanks for the info...I just made an appointment to talk to my urologist about having it done

Comment

how long is the treatment effective for- i have Sp catheter but still have urethral leaks due to severe bladder spasm. now made worse by bowel issues on top. even catheter changes are an issue as removing the old catheter triggers significant spasms and inserting the new replacement is difficult and painful despite using xylocaine gel and me taking a hefty dose of Valium first -its the only down side to the catheter!

Comment

My experience with botox for my bladder

In order to a part of the study I needed to learn use an intermittent self catheter. I use a 14 FR 6" 5-6 times/day.
              The procedure lasted approximately 4 months. For over four years I was part of the study to get it FDA approved for the USA. That approval was given in 2012. I have had one procedure done on insurance. It's approved. I will have another this spring. Learning to self cath and the botox has made a BIG difference in my life. I recommend it.
              I'm happy to answer any questions.

WestMDWoman

Comment

i was in the 4 yr study also

I cannot rave more about bladder botox. It makes me "normal" again! I've had 5 or 6 treatments. (Memory issues lol) 1 of those was after the study ended using my insurance.

It's 20 shots into your bladder wall, by way of urethra. I go 6-9 months between treatments. I've never had to cath either
                MS dx's 2000
                Tysabrian

¤ fate is not just who's cooking smells good, but which way the wind blows ¤

Comment

I was not in any of the studies but have had the botox into my bladder twice. My issues were an extreme overactive bladder and control. I've never had to self cath, starting and stopping or emptying the bladder were not issues. The first treatment Dec 2011 was amazing! I could go 6-7 hrs without using the bathroom. It changed my life. I had the 2nd treatment Nov 2012 - I hate to say, but I've had little improvement this time. I don't know why. I was expecting the same result as the first time and it just didn't happen. But am seeing the PA in a couple of weeks and will see what she says.

Comment

Kitty - I know in the study you could be retreated after 3 months. This last treatment of mine, I started having accidents again in month 5. It's never started back so soon. The only thing I can think of is maybe they shot into different areas of my bladder? Idk but I'll be going back to my urologist soon.
                    MS dx's 2000
                    Tysabrian

Comment

how the Study worked for me

Rebifer is right, I could have treatments every 3 months. I tried to go longer. In the beginning I lasted 6 months (I think). I was told by the study's nurse, other patients were having the same effect. It was a study.
                      For me, I just know life was/is better with botox. I could not go anywhere without knowing where the next bathroom was located. It is not like that now. Poise is a part of my life, but worn for "just incase."
                      I'm ending 4 months since my last injections. I'm doing fine for now.
                      Dr. Cha injected my bladder wall 30 times. It was never painful. The procedure was over quickly.

WestMDWoman

Comment

West - did u begin the study on 200iu or 300iu's? I was on 300 & I liked that more than the 200 they moved me down to. I was told that was the difference between having 20 or 30 shots.

I think I'm going to ask the Dr about getting 300iu this next time instead of just 200. I see the same Dr I did while in the study, so he knows me & I'm comfortable with him.

The one time I've had the procedure using insurance, they put me out using propofol (sp). It was so much different than being awake during it! Lol I quite liked it.
                        MS dx's 2000
                        Tysabrian

Comment

Rebifer-
                          I know for sure the Nov 30 procedure was 200 units. I think
                          I will ask for 300 next time (now that I know it's an option).
                          I had no ill effects during the 4 year study.
                          In the beginning the doctor did not know whether or not I had Botox (it was blind study), but I knew! It made a dramatic difference.
                          It's so nice to have someone else that participated in the study.

WestMDWoman

Comment

West - I had placebo my first treatment. Then I was on 300. The way I found that out was when I was moved down to 200, because 200 is what the fda approved. (What I was told anyway)

You cath tho right? If you are, I highly doubt they'll do 300. How are you doing since your last treatment? I had my last one in mid October.
                            MS dx's 2000
                            Tysabrian

Comment

I intermittent Cath 5-6 Times/day. I'm doing well since last treatment. I'll know I'm ready for another when the need increases.

WestMDWoman

Comment

Working...
                              X