New trouble with catheter insertion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New trouble with catheter insertion

I've been self cathing since August. I cath about 6 times a day. I use The Cure twist 14 fr. Since yesterday, I have really had trouble inserting my catheter. It feels like my urethra is inflamed. I had an appointment with my uro today, but he called and cancelled on Friday so I am going to GP today. Anybody else experience this? Oh yeah, I do think I have a UTI but it isn't my first one. This didn't happen last time.

Urinary Incontinence

Hi ,I also Cath for a very long time try using Coloplast 12 f what your using is too big and two thick that's probably why your having trouble good luck to you:

Comment

I also suggest going down to a 12 F. I use a speedicath 12 F. Never have trouble anymore. Maybe ask your doc tomorrow to write for smaller catheters. It feels better too.

Good luck!
      Lisa
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

I use a speedicath FR 10 and it works great, but I have had times when I had a uti and it was very sore when inserting the catheter and also when I removed it.

When I haven't been able to get in with my GP or urologist, I use a walk in. I have sterile cups at home, plus test strips and sterile towelettes. so when I feel one coming on, I test, and if I have one, I get a sample in the sterile cup, refrigerate it, and then get it to the most accessible doc so they can culture it. I also have antibiotics, so once I've gotten the sample, I pop an antibiotic.

I stay on that antibiotic until the culture comes back and lots of times my antibiotic has been changed at that point.

it's a pretty good system if you can get your docs to go along with it. The only thing I wish is that they'd just give me lab slips to drop the sample off myself, but I can't seem to get my Uro or GP yo agree to that...I have to come in for an appt. in order to drop off the sample.

I started catching because I was getting a UTI every three weeks and they were sure it was due to retention...but tests didn't show retention. And the truth is, I still kept getting infection every three weeks with the cathing Have added all kinds of supplements and do everything they recommend, to no avail.

Now my Uro is out on sick leave and she has a uro from the university seeing her chronic patients once a month. He gave me a Rx for Flomax and told me to quit cathing, that cathing was why I was getting infections. ( didn't seem to be able to communicate to him I was cathing because of frequent infections before cathing.)

Darned if you do and darned if you don't...we'll see how his theory works out.

Just one more thing that I don't think I communicate enough to my gp and uro. They treat a uti as a ho hum thing, but when we with MS get a UTI, at least for me, all my symptoms start to flare and I feel bad, so it's not the normal situation for us as it is when a muggle ( those without MS) gets a UTI

Hope you get answers soon.

Comment

it makes perfect sense that if you have a UTI that the urethra may be sore and inflamed and therefore painful on catheter insertion. but it can become irritated if you are passing a catheter that is to big.

the other thing though is lubricaton, are you using lubricant jelly at all, if you are perhaps you need to use a little more- the soreness may be related to slight abrasion caused by passing the catheter. you can get a lubricant that has a small amount of xylocaine (local anaesthetic) added

but the simplest act is to try a smaller catheter, there is noaadvantage really in using the larger size in intermittent catheterisation. i have a permanent Sp and use a size 26 but tha is only because i have been prone to stone formation- the large catheter means i can keep things flushed out if i drink well but when i used a urethral catheter i used a 14 but only with plenty of lubricant otherwise there would be some stinginhg sensation from trauma

Comment

Supra pubic catheter

I am 59f/ms1989. I had this procedure years ago. A catheter is inserted into your groin to your bladder. It stays attached 24/7. Change catheter monthly. Love it, but have to use leg bag and can't wear shorts or bathing suits anymore. Self cath didn't work for me. Look this up to see if you may be interested

Comment

Working...
            X