Anyone have a winning story with MS ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a winning story with MS ?

I need to hear a winning story with someone's battle with MS.
    Jordan

15 shots of Avonex Pen and I am still pushing and walking, eating, and thinking of my children and my 2 new grandchildren.

What do you mean by winning story, Jordan?

Here's a little one. I was diagnosed a year ago and traumatized by it. It was only recently that I've had days that felt downright good.

I think the first time I didn't feel a mess was 2 months ago. I'm 51 years old, and I was asked to sing something in a Grand Ol' Opry-like show. Nobody ever asked me to sing in public before. My boyfriend is in the band, so it was a total Lucy Ricardo thing.

I dressed up, curled my hair, and sang a funny June Carter song. I even danced on stage in cowboy boots. I didn't feel the least bit MS-y. I began to realize that a lot of my ill feeling might be emotional! They paid me $25.

Today, I walked 3 miles in the winter sun.

It kind of surprises me, because most people who post here aren't doing so well. But over time, I've collected a number of MS friends who ARE doing good, even into their 60s and 70s. It happens.

Are those the kind of stories you're thinking of?

Comment

Jordan,
      I am always on the look out for these situations. Her's 2 people that I have found that you might want to look up.
      Kate Milliken and Ann Boroch have interesting stories about recovering from MS. I feel pretty lousy sometimes and stories of overcoming MS help me cope. Dr. Weil says that, if you need to beat a disease, you should find people that been there and done that, and copy the things they do. Good luck

Comment

Jordan -- I'm all in support of winning stories. Our symptoms can improve. And, MS, I've heard, can kind of "burn itself out" as we get into our 60's and 70's and we can do better.

My story is, somewhat, a winning story. I used to have flares once or twice a year, and they used to require a 1-3 week hospitalization. Since I've changed a number of factors (switched to Copaxone, which seems to be more effective for me; changed my diet; lost weight, monitor stress level and health in general carefully, etc), I have not had a hospitalization for almost 3 years, and my last flare was extremely mild, and was more than 18 months ago. My balance is also much improved; I used to require handrails for even 2-3 stairs. Now I can do my basement stairs without (if I am not carrying anything). Some days, my fatigue is better too. I am content with my life. I volunteer (usually 1-3 hours) daily in the community at places of my choice and I've learned to be content being a home-body and finding things to do here the rest of the time.

I would caution against Jerry's stories, however, if they really do claim to be cured, because I think that can raise false hopes. Although we can go into remission for many years, MS remains, another flare could occur, and, there are often residual symptoms from past flares.

In spite of my successes, I am not "cured". I am still on disability. I still take 1-2 naps a day (used to always be 2); I still have to choose what I say yes to and what I say no to very carefully, in order to keep stress reduced; I still cannot carry things that take 2 hands down to the basement, I still need to remain on my medication, etc.

~ Faith
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you Jerry. Best of luck with your situation.
          Keep in touch.
          Jordan

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
          Jordan,
          I am always on the look out for these situations. Her's 2 people that I have found that you might want to look up.
          Kate Milliken and Ann Boroch have interesting stories about recovering from MS. I feel pretty lousy sometimes and stories of overcoming MS help me cope. Dr. Weil says that, if you need to beat a disease, you should find people that been there and done that, and copy the things they do. Good luck

Comment

Thank you Mamabug...

Thank you for your input Mamabug.
            Keep pushing. Me too.
            We have much to love still.
            Jordan

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            Jordan -- I'm all in support of winning stories. Our symptoms can improve. And, MS, I've heard, can kind of "burn itself out" as we get into our 60's and 70's and we can do better.

My story is, somewhat, a winning story. I used to have flares once or twice a year, and they used to require a 1-3 week hospitalization. Since I've changed a number of factors (switched to Copaxone, which seems to be more effective for me; changed my diet; lost weight, monitor stress level and health in general carefully, etc), I have not had a hospitalization for almost 3 years, and my last flare was extremely mild, and was more than 18 months ago. My balance is also much improved; I used to require handrails for even 2-3 stairs. Now I can do my basement stairs without (if I am not carrying anything). Some days, my fatigue is better too. I am content with my life. I volunteer (usually 1-3 hours) daily in the community at places of my choice and I've learned to be content being a home-body and finding things to do here the rest of the time.

I would caution against Jerry's stories, however, if they really do claim to be cured, because I think that can raise false hopes. Although we can go into remission for many years, MS remains, another flare could occur, and, there are often residual symptoms from past flares.

In spite of my successes, I am not "cured". I am still on disability. I still take 1-2 naps a day (used to always be 2); I still have to choose what I say yes to and what I say no to very carefully, in order to keep stress reduced; I still cannot carry things that take 2 hands down to the basement, I still need to remain on my medication, etc.

~ Faith

Comment

Thank You.

Mable,
              Yes. Thank You. An Upbeat Story or message(s) needs to told to people with MS..just to have them Keep The Faith.
              You can Do It...Too.
              Jordan

Originally posted by Mable View Post
              What do you mean by winning story, Jordan?

Here's a little one. I was diagnosed a year ago and traumatized by it. It was only recently that I've had days that felt downright good.

I think the first time I didn't feel a mess was 2 months ago. I'm 51 years old, and I was asked to sing something in a Grand Ol' Opry-like show. Nobody ever asked me to sing in public before. My boyfriend is in the band, so it was a total Lucy Ricardo thing.

I dressed up, curled my hair, and sang a funny June Carter song. I even danced on stage in cowboy boots. I didn't feel the least bit MS-y. I began to realize that a lot of my ill feeling might be emotional! They paid me $25.

Today, I walked 3 miles in the winter sun.

It kind of surprises me, because most people who post here aren't doing so well. But over time, I've collected a number of MS friends who ARE doing good, even into their 60s and 70s. It happens.

Are those the kind of stories you're thinking of?

Comment

I need to hear an Upbeat MS Story

I need to hear an Upbeat story with someone's battle with MS.
                Jordan

15 shots of Avonex Pen and I am still pushing and walking, eating, and thinking of my children and my 2 new grandchildren.

Comment

Jordan,

you didn't say what your battle was. If you're looking for people who have gone on to lead normal lives, raised children and worked - then there are many. They don't tend to go on websites and post but they are around.

What does winning look like to you? Whatever it is, you're so newly diagnosed that you almost can't have a good opinion. I would say you should reserve judgment now and get better from your last exacerbation. If you're just starting out, you are likely to not be hit very hard - I hope that's where you are and that you have more worry than disability. Also, there is so much healing that happens after a first attack.

Here's a "winning" community: http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/Community/

Just know that the first year is very difficult and it usually gets much better.

Comment

MS really isn't a battle for me. It's an annoyance.

I was first told I had MS in January 1988. 25 years ago.

I still walk, work, have fun, in general, live a normal life. It's getting more difficult, but it's still doable. I'm 55, so getting older is having it's effect too.

Walking has become harder this past year - legs are numb knees down and feet burn (neuropathy), but people can't tell I'm having issues.

Tom
                    "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
                    - Voltaire

Comment

Thanks

Thank You.
                      I am reserving jugment on All.
                      Moving forward. Doing what I must. 14 shots of Avonex Pen Walking. Eating. and Learning etc.
                      Enjoying my 2 children & 2 new grandchildren.
                      Thanks.

I would just like to see some UPLIFTING POSTS on this WEB SITE. (TOO FEW)...

JORDAN

you didn't say what your battle was. If you're looking for people who have gone on to lead normal lives, raised children and worked - then there are many. They don't tend to go on websites and post but they are around.

What does winning look like to you? Whatever it is, you're so newly diagnosed that you almost can't have a good opinion. I would say you should reserve judgment now and get better from your last exacerbation. If you're just starting out, you are likely to not be hit very hard - I hope that's where you are and that you have more worry than disability. Also, there is so much healing that happens after a first attack.

Here's a "winning" community: http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/Community/

Just know that the first year is very difficult and it usually gets much better.[/QUOTE]

Comment

What do you think?

Tom,
                        Thanks for your reply.
                        That's encouraging.
                        I would like to see more UPLIFTING POSTS on this WEB SITE.

JORDAN

Originally posted by freeinhou View Post
                        MS really isn't a battle for me. It's an annoyance.

I was first told I had MS in January 1988. 25 years ago.

I still walk, work, have fun, in general, live a normal life. It's getting more difficult, but it's still doable. I'm 55, so getting older is having it's effect too.

Walking has become harder this past year - legs are numb knees down and feet burn (neuropathy), but people can't tell I'm having issues.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Ross View Post
                          Thank you for your input Mamabug.
                          Keep pushing. Me too.
                          We have much to love still.
                          Jordan
                          Wanted to add a few things.

I've had MS for about 11 years. Managed to finish raising my kids (who were in middle school at the time), sometimes, though, with considerable extra help from my husband, during MS flares.

I also managed to continue working for 6 years, and am happily involved with volunteer work now. Many people are able to continue employment far beyond that.

Those are the positive parts of my story. There are hard parts, though, too, Jordan, and we all have to grieve our losses. It sounds like you don't want to get stuck in the grief stuff, but, it is important to acknowledge your losses.

~ Faith
                          ~ Faith
                          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Jordan,
                            If you are looking to the posters on this site to relate their own positive winning stories, I respectfully doubt you will find them. I have been a poster on this board for a few years and I read many of the posts.
                            There has been a lot of confusion and misinformation and inuendo spread throughout this site. Aside from the moderators and contributors, there has been very few visitors to this board that offer 'miraclulous' stories. I know that it is asking a lot, to expect people to relate their 'wins' to us 'losers'... human nature being what it is.
                            Good luck

Comment

Thanks.

Thank you Faith.
                              I have gained more than I lost...and I have lost much.
                              I will get through my challenge and enjoy my children and my grandchildren that I adore.
                              Thank You for your time, and your thoughts.
                              Enjoy your weekend.
                              Jordan

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                              Wanted to add a few things.

I've had MS for about 11 years. Managed to finish raising my kids (who were in middle school at the time), sometimes, though, with considerable extra help from my husband, during MS flares.

I also managed to continue working for 6 years, and am happily involved with volunteer work now. Many people are able to continue employment far beyond that.

Those are the positive parts of my story. There are hard parts, though, too, Jordan, and we all have to grieve our losses. It sounds like you don't want to get stuck in the grief stuff, but, it is important to acknowledge your losses.

~ Faith

Comment

Working...
                              X