Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

urge to have a bowel movement, tenesmus

I have constant rectal preessure, spasm and urge to have
    a bowel movement, but nothing happens. Anyone else?
    Who had a colonoscopy done for this symptom?

urge to have a bowel movement, tenesmus

I think a complete sigmoidoscopy, which usually doesn't need the complete prepare of a colonoscopy, and which can be done in the workplace, will imagine all of the digestive tract that could be providing such a indication. And if it reveals nothing, it might be a wise decision to have a CAT check out of stomach and hips to be sure there's not something outside the colon/rectum resulting in stress.

Comment

I've had that on occasion, especially during a flare.

I don't know if it's a muscle spasm or what, but it's annoying.

I've had tests to make sure it's not bowel related, and it's not.

Also not a bad idea to see a urogynecologist. That can be a symptom of a prolapse, and with MS, we are more prone to prolapses in the pelvic floor. (google "rectocele")

Comment

i have this problem, i also have poor control so basically have to get to the bathroom immediately, one way to limit accidents has been to use diet to keep the stool a bit firmer but if i am a bit too firm, the rescence of stool lower down but not ready to be passed will trgger really strong pelvic floor spasms and the urge to strain to pass a motion even though nothing happens but when nature takes its course the urges diminish, i have a permanent supra pubic catheter too as i have no bladder control and i get the same strong spasms and urges if my catheter has been kinked off, blocked or even if the bag is too full- i take probanthine for bladder spasms and it does help a good deal but in the occasions when the spasm come despite meds, looking for the trigger and addressing that seems to the trick eg make sure catheter is not kindked etc, if no catheter issues are present, than it may be that there is something lower down in the bowel that is still a bit too high up to actually pass and i find that having a warm drink helps, eating and drinking triggers the mild contractions that allow the bowel content to be gradually pushed along ( its called the gastro colic reflex and is strongest first thing in the morning usually)- not sure if this helps

Comment

Working...
        X