lack of sensitivity, sex drive and becoming aroused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lack of sensitivity, sex drive and becoming aroused

I am having concerns regarding sexual intimacy. Over the past 8 years of being diagnosed with MS, my spouse and I have noticed a decrease in my sex drive. I am having a lack of sensitivity/feeling, as well as difficulty becoming aroused. I am lost and don't know what to do. Please help, any advice is appreciated.
    Desiree
    Relapsing Remitting MS for 8 years

Loss of Sensitivity

I would search the threads on this site for one titled "Loss of Sensitivity" originally posted in August, but has had good response. All sorts of answers in that thread.

Cheers,
    Helen
    20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

Comment

I have sexual issues too

all adult life I have had issues with some numbness. Since I was officially confirmed to have MS, 3 years ago, the numbness has increased and is getting worse I don't have the answers I wish I did

Comment

MS has actually changed my sex life... for the better actually.

I am not as uptight as I used to be. Still pretty prudish and uptight at times, every now and then. MS has brought a new level of intimacy to me though. When I'm doing something as simple as even just a deep kiss, I allow myself to enjoy it because at that moment my mind and body are preoccupied and I'm not thinking about MS, I'm thinking I'm "normal". It has taught my SO to find ways to take me away from MS with gentle, loving and understanding whenever he touches me.

The way it has changed is that I'm not afraid anymore. I used to be worried and spend the whole time thinking what if I'm doing this wrong, or I can't do this the same as I used to. He's found a way to get me into being with him and not being with MS for awhile. I've found myself more willing to try different things, I feel more empowered.

I may have MS, but MS does NOT have me. Not anymore. I used to let it, but it's a learning experience for me each and everytime. I actually enjoy it now, whereas before I was so nervous about having MS and it was so much on my mind the whole time, I couldn't relax and enjoy what is naturally meant to be an enjoyable experience.

For those moments when you want to feel the connection, let go of your MS and let yourself go in the process. It's made it a much better experience for the both of us.

When something is uncomfortable, I am more apt now to experiment and try something new like a different position now. It's a 2 way street, and with my SO being so understanding it has opened up a whole new world for me. It's been a long time in the wait, as I didn't just blossom into this mind frame overnight and I still have a lot to learn. Now I am willing to learn and put MS aside for those moments.

It was hard for me to let go of MS when it came to sex. It was so different and I am forever the prude, but MS has actually made me fight to learn how to enjoy something that used to be "just an act" and learn how to open up.

You just need to synergize with your partner. Take the time to learn what it is that'll make you more comfortable and ways you can find to MS in the background during those moments and let go, enjoy each other.

MS still tries to gain the upper hand and have me backoff, but each day is a new day and a new opportunity to tell it to go to hell in a hand basket and let me live my life and take control while I still can.

Live for the moment, but make it your moment, then be willing to share that moment with your SO. It kept me scared for so long I didn't give my SO the chance to even please me, although he tried. I just tried to please him and thought I couldn't be, but time passed and now each time we spend intimate time together, pieces of MS don't hold me back anymore. I refuse to let it. This is MY life, not MS'.
        RIP Jenna's Beloved Momma
        Best MS Support System Ever
        7/42 - 12/12

Comment

Originally posted by HellsBells1 View Post
          I would search the threads on this site for one titled "Loss of Sensitivity" originally posted in August, but has had good response. All sorts of answers in that thread.

Cheers,
          Helen
          I dont know what is worse. I am a 54 year old male with heaps of sex drive. However my MS has got the better of me and wont allow me to orgasm or ejaculate. for a male that is important. Its not from lack of trying but it just does not work anymore. Who would have thought.

Comment

Cessna you have posted since this one and it's pretty old but if you are still having issues my guess is you are on gabapentin. That is pretty much exactly what happened to me. If you want more info just post to let me know you are still searching for answers.
            Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Originally posted by TaoWarrior View Post
              Cessna you have posted since this one and it's pretty old but if you are still having issues my guess is you are on gabapentin. That is pretty much exactly what happened to me. If you want more info just post to let me know you are still searching for answers.
              Hi ToaWarrior
              I am on Gilenya and have been for 18 months, this issue has only been an issue since I started the Gilenya but this problem is not listed as one of the side effects which makes me think its the MS not the drug. I have tried everything but just cant get there.

Comment

Originally posted by cessna182d View Post
                Hi ToaWarrior
                I am on Gilenya and have been for 18 months, this issue has only been an issue since I started the Gilenya but this problem is not listed as one of the side effects which makes me think its the MS not the drug. I have tried everything but just cant get there.
                Very well could be the MS, however, my neuro warned me about the side effects of amantadine. He said it could be a deal breaker for sex. I never had that problem, but it also didn't work for my fatigue, so I didn't stay on it too long. That being said, low T is a problem unto itself.

Comment

I dont know what is worse. I am a 54 year old male with heaps of sex drive. However my MS has got the better of me and wont allow me to orgasm or ejaculate. for a male that is important. Its not from lack of trying but it just does not work anymore. Who would have thought.
                  I'm in the same boat. 55 years old and having trouble with orgasms, but also with the desire itself. I just don't seem to get aroused.

Comment

I had this problem also but found out to be the drugs I was on at the time now when I orgasm my legs go as stiff as a board at first it was a real worry now we just laugh

Comment

Working...
                    X