Need Practical help in Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Practical help in Kitchen

Im soo tired right now that I'll be brief. My leg weakness and fatigue has major impact on my ability to prepare meals. I live alone and have neither chick nor child. However I enjoy cooking and try to prepare meals 2-3 times a week.

I mostly do simple stuff...I use my Forman to grill chicken breast or lean pork chops. I add boiled white potatoes and somesteamed veggiese. Once in a while, I'll do something more elaborate e.g. choppingcuttimg or need to stand at stove or measure stuff or assemble a dish.

the PROBLEM is that I am losing the ability to stand at the counter or bend over at the refrig or go into a low/high cabinet etc. I get sooo weak in my legs/back that I MUST sit. My balanceis so bad that must use flat of my walker to move plate to eating surface or just eat on kitchen counter. Sometimes Im sooo tired that lifting fork to mouth needs effort.

I am INTERESTED in learning techniques for success in the kitchen...at lease some practical suggestions. For example, I know to get everything I will need close to me before I begin. Ive learned how to 'work' in my small kitchen. I have my rollator close so I cna sit down as needed. Im considering purchasing a rolling stool that I can sit on while preparing food. This will allow me to 'roll' rather that push a walker.

Susan (or others) What would you suggest for meal prep?...not frozen dinners but real food.

Thanks for listening (longer than I thought)
    [I]Tellnhelen
    Progressive Relapsing MS

Please bear with me, I know you're not blind so this may sound crazy... The Canadian National Institute for The Blind has so many kitchen "helpers" that makes life in the kitchen way easier.

Not everything they sell is strictly for visual impairments, although that's why I originally looked them up. They have an on-line catalogue including time/energy saving devices that may help you with your issues in the kitchen. They are also reasonably priced.

I love your saying, "... I have neither chick nor child.". I wish I could use it!
    Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

tellnhelen, I have also placed a copy of this in the assistive devises forum. you may get some help there also, thanks.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Tellnhelen, I am sorry to hear that your fatigue is so overwhelming. Have you mentioned this to your physician? There are various medications that may help.

For energy conservation...
        If you like to cook on certain days, consider what you do before your cooking. Leave your activity to just cooking.

Use the time of day when you have the most energy.

Buy already prepared food items for cooking (sliced/cut/chopped/minced etc)
        You can buy fresh or frozen.

Sit at table to prepare or use a stool at counter. That's what I do and it works out well.
        Try a small travel wheelchair (or lightweight chair with 4 wheels for safety) to see if you could scoot around.

Take breaks

You can use a tray attached on walker or put items on a cart to move items- which is easier and safer.

Plan Ahead
        Think about what you need at locations - fridge/pantry/ cabinet- to eliminate having to go back and forth

Consider using a crockpot, great for putting all items in together to cook full meal without need for multiple pots/pans & standing.

Make extra to have for other days

Storage - De-clutter
        Leave items you use most often on counter and/or on one shelf, especially heavy ones
        Put a lazy Susan on counter
        Use a reacher to get to hard to reach items - avoid breakable items

These are a few ideas that I hope help. I encourage you to continue with cooking, I also encourage you to speak to your physician about the level of fatigue you experience.

Please keep me posted. I look forward to hearing from you.
        Be Well,
        Susan

Comment

food processor

Getting a food processor was one of the best things I ever did. I actually got one before diagnosis because I got tired of scraping my knuckles every time I grated vegetables for my favorite salad.

So I have a heavy-duty food processor (I went to the company's website at bought a factory-refurbished model for about half the normal price). I will often buy a lot of vegetables at once, and just plan a couple of hours of grating and slicing with the machine. Then I measure stuff into 1/2-cup portions, wrap in plastic wrap, and put the 1/2-cup packages into a freezer bag.

Then if I want to cook something, I pull out the 1/2-cup packages and defrost them quickly (usually just by running hot water over them).

Again, this wasn't originally a solution for MS - I just couldn't use up things like celery before they went bad, and I didn't like wasting the food or the money. So I would do this with just one or two things. Now I do it with a lot of stuff.

I just rinse out the food processor with water between vegetables, and do a good wash at the end. That also saves me time/energy in the long run.

Also, I take advantage of things like canned beans versus dried beans (I'm vegetarian, so that's a big part of my diet). Or I'll cook a double recipe of something and freeze single portions. Again, a time- and money-saving measure I learned from one of my brothers!

Happy cooking!

Comment

Great suggestions!

I, too, like to cook, and find that standing at the counter for prep or cleaning up, etc., tires me out!!

I will sit at the table to do a lot of prep work -- chop onions, slice/dice carrots and celery and peppers, etc. and bag them. That way they are easy to grab when you want them.

On a typical Sunday, I put a pot of beans on the stove; slice/dice cucumbers, cabbage, steam broccoli and/or cauliflower, roast a chicken or some fish, clean salad greens, etc.

With all of the prep out of the way, it is easy to pull together a salad, stir-fry, quick pasta sauce.

Plan what you want to cook for the week, prep in advance, take it easy and rest when you need to.

Comment

Working...
            X