I am an IDIOT. Avonex Pen story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am an IDIOT. Avonex Pen story.

So last week, I'm sure it was a brain fart, possibly due to MS. Had my Avonex Pen out of the fridge for a few hours, all good, right? Well THIS genius decided to activate the needle shield - BEFORE she uncapped the medication.

As I'm sure Pen users know, that shield CANNOT go back down. So I wasted an entire Pen. #firstworldproblems

Anyone else do this before? At least I was relieved to know that the design of the needle shield is idiot-proof - as in it does its job. The idiot proofing doesn't extend to the user if it's activated before its time...
    Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
    UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

That's funny. So you managed to press the button without injecting?

Isn't it odd to think that our insurance companies or the government pay $1000 per nice little pen?

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
      That's funny. So you managed to press the button without injecting?

Isn't it odd to think that our insurance companies or the government pay $1000 per nice little pen?
      Didn't press the button, but now I want to try so I essentially managed to dump $1000 of government money in that one, swift motion #genius

Comment

hey,hey,hey, go easy there fella. It's simply a mistake. You aren't expected to perform brain surgery. Remember that if you do it the same way again and expect a different outcome, then you are insane. Otherwise you are human. Good luck

Comment

don't feel badly - I ruined 4 pens. I froze 2 on vacation by accident and then froze another 2 at home when my thermostat in my fridge broke...it got too cold. they were more than happy to replace them...didn't give me a hard time at all and got the replacements before my next shot. now i keep a separate thermostat (thermometer) in my fridge to make sure everything is okay. you can see the medication in the syringes to see if it is sludgey (sp), but you can't see it in the pen...which i also don't like. i think i have avonex ocd lol

Comment

I always wondered about the freezing thing. How do you know if they froze since you can't see the medication until you have set the pen up?

If it were to freeze & then thaw by the time you use it, how do you know?
            Diagnosed: May 2012
            Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
            Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

Originally posted by Kenmore View Post
              don't feel badly - I ruined 4 pens. I froze 2 on vacation by accident and then froze another 2 at home when my thermostat in my fridge broke...it got too cold. they were more than happy to replace them...didn't give me a hard time at all and got the replacements before my next shot. now i keep a separate thermostat (thermometer) in my fridge to make sure everything is okay. you can see the medication in the syringes to see if it is sludgey (sp), but you can't see it in the pen...which i also don't like. i think i have avonex ocd lol
              Was it the pharmacy that replaced them, or was it through MS Alliance?

Comment

Originally posted by Nanobaby View Post
                Was it the pharmacy that replaced them, or was it through MS Alliance?
                It was through the Alliance program. The pharmacy contacts them for authorization and they do it quickly. No problem at all.

Comment

Avonex shield activated too soon

If you have a problem with anything regarding your Avonex pen, call the pharmacy and they will replace it free of charge. You aren't the first to make a mistake. I speak from experience!

Comment

Working...
                  X