Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what can an OT do for me?

Hi Susan,

Exactly what could an occupational therapist do for me? I know I have issues with my executive functioning. I don't think quickly on my feet anymore (I'm a teacher). I can't remember the details of incidents that end up in the principal's office. I confuse myself while creating lesson plans and usually overlook (forget) to include something important in those plans. I often feel like I'm coming at at a task like a shotgun rather than a precise laser.

And if these are things that an OT can help with, how do I make that happen? I've asked my neuro about it and he just nods and makes a note on my chart. I've listed these concerns to him more than once and he just nods and says "hmmm" which makes me feel that these issues that I struggle with are really not a big deal in the big picture. If indeed they're no big deal, then why am I consistantly struggling with the same issues over and over? Can an OT help me work through some of this? Or perhaps I just need a shrink!

sherill

Hi Sherill

Yes, OT assists with cognitive functioning. You do require a prescription from a doctor for occupational therapy with a notation regarding cognition - Some doctors simply write cognitive evaluation and treatment

Occupational therapists are educated in several cognitive assessments that can identify functional loss. An OT can address issues with memory, executive functioning, concrete and abstract thinking, attention, logic and more.

It's great that you are on top of this and I encourage you to pursue it. Perhaps your doctor may be more inclined to have you see a neuropsychologist which would provide assessment and treatment as well.

Meanwhile, I often recommend a good website where you can do assessments and then activities according to your needs on your own - at no cost, www.lumosity.com

Good luck and please keep me posted
    Be Well,
    Susan

Comment

I apologize, I use the activities that are posted on site without registration.

I will follow up on this and further website opportunities. In the mean time, work on crossword puzzles , puzzles, word games ie Sudoku, word find, scrabble, and such
      If you have a cell phone, check game apps that are free.

Let me know what you find , I shall do the same.
      Be Well,
      Susan

Comment

A friend recently purchased a one year membership for me at luminosity.com. It was $79. I figure its worth a try.

I'm on my fourth day of training. The exercises take about 10 minutes but we can do more if we want.

So far, my memory is at 13%! Ha! Cog fog party!
        When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

That's a terrific gift!

Please keep us posted, your feedback will be very helpful.
          Be Well,
          Susan

Comment

Working...
          X