Lowers white blood count?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowers white blood count?

I didn't realize that Betaseron lowers your white blood count. A nurse called today to tell me that my labs were OK but my white blood count was a little low. She said the doctor wasn't worried but will keep an eye on it. She said it's due to the Betaseron.
    I have a sore throat I caught from my kids so I'm trying to take it easy.
    Karen,
    Part time Registered Nurse
    Diagnosed 2012 just started Gilenya Jan. 12th, 2015. Formerly on Betaseron for two yrs

Yes, WBC count will be reduced. Betaseron is synthetic Interferon. I won't get all geeky w.r.t. immunology--but the purpose of Beta is to reduce the WBC's crossing the blood-brain barrier since it is the WBC's that are attacking the myelin sheath around the nerves.

wiki article is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interferon

Comment

I had same on Avonex

Hi,

As long as they are testing your bloods regularly, a slightly low WCC is OK. Monthly testing is what my MS Nurse did for me. Mine finally bombed to 2.8 and I has laryngitis for months and many infections so was taken off it.

We tried again after I had an allergic reaction to Tysabri, but the same happened.

A lowered WCC is OK but it depends HOW low it gets.

Make sure they a re monitoring you carefully, and hopefully it won't get too low.

Comment

Working...
      X