M.S and fibro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M.S and fibro

I made a observation a while back that there seemed to be a lot of nurses on this forum with M.S. Well now lately I am seeing a awful lot of people with Fibro and M.S. and I am one of them. These amounts seem very unlikely for supposedly unrelated diseases which I really have my doubts as to them being unrelated. My sister also has fibro and many M.S. symptons but she does not meet the criteria for M.S, yet at one time she was told she had a pale optic nerve but it was not entered in the report and there is no way she would have known those terms otherwise. What do You All think?
    PEACE
    Tortis

Well, it's been said that victims of one auto-immune disease are more prone to other AI diseases. And that's what fibro is. In my case, my fibro started a few years before we ever had an indication of MS, though, although when diagnosed my symptoms did start overlapping - and even today, I'm not sure if my back pain is caused by the MS or fibro.

Some things I'm definitely more sure on, it's just the pain that I can't rule out.
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

reply to Spydre

Hi, Only problem, I was told fibro was not a autoimmune disease by my nuero and regular dr. Which is one of the reasons i was questioning why there was so many people with both.
      PEACE
      Tortis

Comment

Tortis - Based on my own research and asking several different types of doctors my impression is like yours - that fibromyalgia is not an autoimmune disease. - M
        M.
        A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Fibro and MS

I was diagnosed Fibro in 2009 and we absolutely ruled out MS etc. Then diagnosed in 2011 with MS (6 contusions showing now) ...Both Neuro and MD said I have a double whammy and the pain is very different.

Comment

M.S. and Fibro

Hi everyone, I still feel that with so many people with both diseases that they must either have the same triggers or that they are directly related. I have never believed in coincidences unless they were infrequent but there just seems to be to many people with both M.S. and Fibro.
            PEACE
            Tortis

Comment

FIBRO AND MS

tortis,

I wonder that too. I think it is the govt experimenting on us with our food and drink, lol.

Seriously, i think if we can find a common denominator in all of us, we could lick this thing, MS.

Something is going on for the increase in dx.
              STR

Comment

Fibromyalgia may not fit the scientific definition of an “autoimmune disease” but apparently is related to a dysfunctional immune system and when more is known about fibromyalgia it could very well be reclassified from being a “syndrome” to being a “disease”. For sufferers the definition is more a matter of semantics than critical importance.

The results of a pilot trial published a couple of years ago which said, “We conclude that low-dose naltrexone may be an effective, highly tolerable, and inexpensive treatment for fibromyalgia” can be found at PubMed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19453963 . Since low dose naltrexone (LDN) has no toxicity some have decided it is a medicine worth considering as a treatment.

Strhuntrss, there does seem to be an increasing # of immune-related diseases and conditions but I doubt if the gov’t is competent enough to be carrying out experiments on us. LOL! They get more interested when something like LDN interferes with the sale of big pharma’s very expensive drugs, IMHO.

Good Luck, I wish you well!

Comment

i was dxd w/ fibro yrs before the MS dx was ever settled.
                  since then i've learned of several who have both.
                  since the MS dx, the fibro. one seems to be a mote point to drs.
                  i'm sure it doesn't help in my overall health, but what do ya do?

oh, a rheumatoligist (arthritis dr.) is the one who dxd fibro.
                  for once i was a perfect 10 or 12? however many trigger spots there are, i have them all! wish i could've chose a different way to be 'perfect'!

all these diseases overlapping and everything, i'm not so sure the drs. know much more than us. just treating the sxs.
                  who knows?

we just gotta do the best we can with what we got!

take care & God bless ya!
                  "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Myoak,

Thank you for the link to that cross-over trial. Interesting results, but that trial needs to be a Phase III (larger trial). THEN I will be MORE impressed with the results. I would also like to see males in the trial (which would happen in a Phase III)
                    Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I have both MS and Fibromyalgia, with the fibro developing a couple of years after my MS diagnosis. After bumping in to another person with MS who later developed fibro, I started wondering if the two were related.

I can't remember where I read it, but there exists a theory that fibromyalgia is triggered by some sort of trauma to the brain, causing improper nerve function. I'd say the demylenation of MS qualifies as trauma, wouldn't you.

Comment

Hi all, I think that those who are dx with both fibro and ms just have ms (thatīs more than enough). I believe that there is so much that doctors donīt know about ms yet, and that is why the "fibro-like symptoms" are just thought to be fibro. Lesions can hit in very different area, that can do very different things to us. That is just my opinion.
                        Best regards,
                        Lara
                        E.s sorry for my English

Comment

Not autoimmune but

Originally posted by maitrimama View Post
                          Tortis - Based on my own research and asking several different types of doctors my impression is like yours - that fibromyalgia is not an autoimmune disease. - M
                          it causes mild autoimmunity in small peripheral nerves. It is neuro-chemical, which causes too much production of substance P, a pain neurotransmitter, not enough serotonin. Studies have shown that the substance P overkill sends faulty signals back to the immune system, leading to an attack at the level of the smallest peripheral nerves. Elevated levels of inflammatory chemicals have been found in skin biopsies, although there isn't observable inflammation via a typical physical exam.

Having an autoimmune disease and the high levels of constant pain can contribute to the development of fibromyalgia. They tend to go hand in hand. But no, it is not an autoimmune disease itself.
                          CIS DX 2013

Comment

2nd generation Fibro and MS survivor

I was diagnosed with fibro eleven years ago at the age of nineteen. My mother was diagnosed with MS and couple years later a couple years after that she was diagnosed with fibro. I was diagnosed with MS recently funny thing is for awhile I thought my symptoms were fibro related now looking back I should have got my MRI a long time ago. I how this helps.

Comment

In my original post I mentioned that my sister also has fibro but they blame all her symptoms on the fibro but she has many that are more like the MonSter.
                              I still think that if they are not the same then they must be directly related in some way. I sure hope the experts are looking deeply in to them because that could, in the end lead to a actual cure for this scourge.
                              PEACE
                              Tortis

Comment

Working...
                              X