Any Runners out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Runners out there?

I started running about 6 months ago...since them I have completed a 5k and participated in my 1st half marathon. I completed 6.5 miles in the half (walk/run). My question is, what is everyone doing as far as training, pain control, numbness etc.? I have another half on Dec. 23rd, Help!!

Howdy!

I am too new to MS (diagnosed 8/2012 & had first relapse 2009) to give advice. I'm responding because I'm happy to see a runner here.

I started running in 2009. I've done five 5Ks. I've always wanted to do a half but could never train for it due to my work schedule. I work at night so it's tricky enough just working in my strength training and cardio.

These days I'm doing varied activities and not just running. My first love is running though but it's too hot to run outside most of the time. I live in a tropical climate. And I get bored running on treadmills.

Monday I had a B12 injection. My primary care doctor gave it to me after I mentioned my fatigue. Yesterday, I felt great and I OvErEXtenDed myself in the gym. I did a heavy leg workout then I ran on the treadmill. I paid for that the rest of the day. The back of my left thigh was numb and tingling and my vision got blurry. Both legs were crampy, but mostly my shins. Ugggh. The energy from the B12 was a blessing and a curse for me.

I got kinda scared yesterday and I called and asked for the nurse at my neurologist's office. She told me to call her back if my vision didn't clear up by today. It did clear up this afternoon and the back of my thigh returned to normal this afternoon.

I took ibuprofen twice and it didn't help much. I just had to take it easy. I took a lukewarm not very hot bath. That didn't help either.

Today I took it very easy in the gym and used baby weights and WALKED on the treadmill. lol I learned my lesson!

-Karen
    Karen,
    Part time Registered Nurse
    Diagnosed 2012 just started Gilenya Jan. 12th, 2015. Formerly on Betaseron for two yrs

Comment

I run a little about 2-3 miles at a time approximately twice a week. When I can get off work on a Saturday I will do a 5k race.

I had considered training for 10k this spring but decided that I enjoy doing 5k and really don't want to either take a chance on screwing up my old knees and/or having to work so hard that I don't enjoy the process.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

I'm training. I run for 1 or so miles 3x weekly and back off when it doesn't fell right. I want to run a 5k in the Spring. It feels great.

Comment

Re: Starting back

I was running last year and had worked up to doing 10 k. I loved it but then the numbness in my feet started and I fell a few times so I stopped. I miss it soo much! I was diagnosed with MS only in January this year. I think after reading this thread that I will just get back to it I have been waiting for symptoms to settle but not sure now they ever will. Yes going back to the running this week see how it goes. Plus I am on 10 weeks of B12 injections, have had two so far and am feeling more energetic

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
            I'm training. I run for 1 or so miles 3x weekly and back off when it doesn't fell right. I want to run a 5k in the Spring. It feels great.
            The adrenalin rush at a race is amazing you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it makes running the 5k especially your first one.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

I ran a 5K once before the MS struck and it was amazing. I really miss my running days. It was the only exercise I did that I actually liked. Right now I'm doing well just to walk slowly on a treadmill while hanging onto the sides, but I'm getting stronger so I'm hoping one day I'll be able to run again, even if it is just very short distances.
              Diagnosed 1/4/13
              Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

SO nice to see some runners....I have been training and doing the couch to 5k but I have also been training on a track around an indoor pool - t is just too hot and think after running for a few weeks it catches up to me - I start getting dizzy for several weeks so I stop running and then I practically have to start over again... I can't always run outside..I really want to do the 5k in March....

Comment

I started running a couple months ago. I usually run 2-3mi at a time 3x a week. I'm hoping to do a 5k for the first time in the spring

Comment

Originally posted by lstrl View Post
                    I ran a 5K once before the MS struck and it was amazing. I really miss my running days. It was the only exercise I did that I actually liked. Right now I'm doing well just to walk slowly on a treadmill while hanging onto the sides, but I'm getting stronger so I'm hoping one day I'll be able to run again, even if it is just very short distances.
                    Have you tried taking a spin class? To me it is similar to running cardio-wise but less impact and maybe easier on your balance than the treadmill.

Maybe its just me but I really have to focus when I run on the treadmill, I'm terrified of falling and also get a bit dizzy when I get off sometimes which never happens when I run the road.
                    Anonymous

Comment

I was really afraid of the treadmill too because of balance issues and a bit of a foot drop. I used an elliptical to work myself up to running outside and then finally to a treadmill. I had balance issues on it at first but it's definitely gotten better with practice.

Comment

I'm so glad to see this thread. I am a runner and love it. I train for 1/2 marathons. My last one was 3 was ago. Very empowering. Felt great all run but sadly the next morning I woke up with a returning symptom of vertigo. Not fun. Lasted about four days. I'm hoping to run another 1/2 on Good Friday. Yesterday I ran 15 k and felt great but woke up to vertigo again today. Feeling very discouraged. Popped on a scopalamine patch mid afternoon which has helped a bit but not 100%. Anyone experience returning of symptoms after their longer runs. I really don't want to give up training. It really makes me feel better the more active I am but I really hate the vertigo. I can live with the tingling and leg aches but vertigo sucks. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by MMJ View Post
                          I'm so glad to see this thread. I am a runner and love it. I train for 1/2 marathons. My last one was 3 was ago. Very empowering. Felt great all run but sadly the next morning I woke up with a returning symptom of vertigo. Not fun. Lasted about four days. I'm hoping to run another 1/2 on Good Friday. Yesterday I ran 15 k and felt great but woke up to vertigo again today. Feeling very discouraged. Popped on a scopalamine patch mid afternoon which has helped a bit but not 100%. Anyone experience returning of symptoms after their longer runs. I really don't want to give up training. It really makes me feel better the more active I am but I really hate the vertigo. I can live with the tingling and leg aches but vertigo sucks. Any suggestions?
                          Hi and welcome,

Congratulations on doing the 1/2s! I really hope this is a coincidence because vertigo sucks.
                          Anonymous

Comment

THanks Jules for the welcome. So glad to find this board.

Comment

Working...
                            X