Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Vitamin B 12

Hi everyone,

I'm a limbo lander and I had some blood tests done and I have low B 12 so my doctor gave me a shot of it in his office. I ended up reacting to it I think as it increased my back and leg pains late at night to the point where I was almost crying.

As usual my Sed rate was too high.

Is it possible that my problem is B12? Or is it just one of those things that has to be managed? I have read that low B12 can mimic MS but that people with MS often have low B12. So I haven't had an AHA! moment.

My neurological problems come and go and there was a period of four years when I was mostly fine meaning my body was what I call quiet. So let's pretend that if I have chronic low B 12 that causes neurological problems wouldn't my neurological problems exist all of the time? I don't know whether it was a one off or if I have low B 12 all of the time as I'm sure that I haven't had my B12 watched each time I had blood work.

My GP still believes that I have MS.

So I guess after I've rambled a great deal, my question or concern here is what do I do with this information about low B12? Any suggestions please?

Take care,
    swingingwillow
    Take care,
    swingingwillow
    Limbo lander on hold with a fast busy signal...

Originally posted by swingingwillow View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm a limbo lander and I had some blood tests done and I have low B 12 so my doctor gave me a shot of it in his office. I ended up reacting to it I think as it increased my back and leg pains late at night to the point where I was almost crying.

As usual my Sed rate was too high.

Is it possible that my problem is B12? Or is it just one of those things that has to be managed? I have read that low B12 can mimic MS but that people with MS often have low B12. So I haven't had an AHA! moment.

My neurological problems come and go and there was a period of four years when I was mostly fine meaning my body was what I call quiet. So let's pretend that if I have chronic low B 12 that causes neurological problems wouldn't my neurological problems exist all of the time? I don't know whether it was a one off or if I have low B 12 all of the time as I'm sure that I haven't had my B12 watched each time I had blood work.

My GP still believes that I have MS.

So I guess after I've rambled a great deal, my question or concern here is what do I do with this information about low B12? Any suggestions please?

Take care,
    swingingwillow
    It is very possible that your symptoms are all due to low vitamin B12, however, you won't know until you get your levels up to an acceptable number and see if your symptoms go away.

Time will tell if that is what the problem is. If so, good news! It is a great mimicker of MS.

Good luck!
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Lo B 12

I am an RRMS'er and had a low B-12 level. My Neuro started increasing my B-12 over a six month period. I am now at 78. I usually have a relapse every six months. I have not had one since March. Yay!

About a month ago I started having very mini-relapse symptoms. Like instead of a long electric knitting needle being driven through my brain several times a day I was having "sparks." My cog. is off noticeably but I am not on another planet as per usual. I have had none of these sx since having my level raised.

I am a ret. Psych. RN and think everything is in my head or yours. So...even if I am imagining the effects of a B-12 level change I will keep it because I am so much better and have so much more energy. B-12 believer.
      Dave
      "Journeyman"

Comment

Thanks Lisa and Dave,

So I will check and see if my GP has been monitoring my B12 levels each time I've had blood work and if not, then I'll ask him to continue to do so.

May as well cover all bases in wellness!

Take care,
        swingingwillow
        Take care,
        swingingwillow
        Limbo lander on hold with a fast busy signal...

Comment

The 2 vitamin levels you can definitely do something about are vitamins B-12 and vitamin D. Those should be normalized or even go higher than normal. I take 2000 mcgs vitamin B-12 sublingual and 5000 iu's of vitamin D daily. These are the amounts needed to keep my levels in a normal range.

Comment

Working...
          X