Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fibromyalgia

Fibromyalgia

Fibromyalgia is a common syndrome in which a person has long-term, body-wide pain and tenderness in the joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues.

Fibromyalgia has also been linked to fatigue, sleep problems, headaches, depression, and anxiety.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

The cause is unknown. Possible causes or triggers of fibromyalgia include:

Physical or emotional trauma

Abnormal pain response - areas in the brain that are responsible for pain may react differently in fibromyalgia patients

Sleep disturbances

Infection, such as a virus, although none has been identified

Fibromyalgia is most common among women aged 20 to 50.

The following conditions may be seen with fibromyalgia or mimic its symptoms:

Chronic neck or back pain

Chronic fatigue syndrome

Depression

Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)

Lyme disease

Sleep disorders
    Symptoms

Pain in the main symptom of fibromyalgia. It may be mild to severe.

Painful areas are called tender points. Tender points are found in the soft tissue on the back of the neck, shoulders, chest, lower back, hips, shins, elbows, and knees. The pain then spreads out from these areas.

The pain may feel like a deep ache, or a shooting, burning pain.

The joints are not affected, although the pain may feel like it is coming from the joints.

People with fibromyalgia tend to wake up with body aches and stiffness. For some patients, pain improves during the day and gets worse at night. Some patients have pain all day long.

Pain may get worse with activity, cold or damp weather, anxiety, and stress.

Fatigue, depressed mood, and sleep problems are seen in almost all patients with fibromyalgia. Many say that they can't get to sleep or stay asleep, and they feel tired when they wake up.

Other symptoms of fibromyalgia may include:

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)

Memory and concentration problems

Numbness and tingling in hands and feet

Reduced ability to exercise

Tension or migraine headaches
    Signs and tests

To be diagnosed with fibromyalgia, you must have had at least 3 months of widespread pain, and pain and tenderness in at least 11 of 18 areas, including

Arms (elbows)

Buttocks

Chest

Knees

Lower back

Neck

Rib cage

Shoulders

Thighs

Blood and urine tests are usually normal. However, tests may be done to rule out other conditions that may have similar symptoms.
    Treatment

The goal of treatment is to help relieve pain and other symptoms, and to help a person cope with the symptoms.

The first type of treatment may involve:

Physical therapy

Exercise and fitness program

Stress-relief methods, including light massage and relaxation techniques

If these treatments do not work, your doctor may prescribe an antidepressant or muscle relaxant. The goal of medication is to improve sleep and pain tolerance. Medicine should be used along with exercise and behavior therapy. Duloxetine (Cymbalta), pregabalin (Lyrica), and milnacipran (Savella) are medications that are approved specifically for treating fibromyalgia.

However, many other drugs are also used to treat the condition, including:

Anti-seizure drugs

Other antidepressants

Muscle relaxants

Pain relievers

Sleeping aids

Cognitive-behavioral therapy is an important part of treatment. This therapy helps you learn how to:

Deal with negative thoughts

Keep a diary of pain and symptoms

Recognize what makes your symptoms worse

Seek out enjoyable activities

Set limits

Support groups may also be helpful.

Other recommendations include:

Eat a well-balanced diet

Avoid caffeine

Practice good sleep routines to improve quality of sleep

Acupressure and acunpuncture

Severe cases of fibromyalgia may require a referral to a pain clinic.
    Expectations (prognosis)

Fibromyalgia is a long-term disorder. Sometimes, the symptoms improve. Other times, the pain may get worse and continue for months or years.
    Calling your health care provider

Call your health-care provider if you have symptoms of fibromyalgia.
    Prevention

There is no known prevention.
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Wow! Thanks for this comprehensive "guide", Lisa - It is not uncommon for those with MS to also have fibromyalgia. It's a double whammy...
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

One of the hardest issues for me is trying to figure out what to attribute to thr fibro nd what is my other diseases

Comment

I have been diagnosed with MS and Fibromyagia, other than the pain feels very different...what exactly is the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by brandybrough View Post
          I have been diagnosed with MS and Fibromyagia, other than the pain feels very different...what exactly is the difference?
          MS is a disease of the central nervous system. It is a very localizing disease, meaning your brain or spinal lesions directly cause the problem by causing demyelination of the nerve associated with that lesion. This causes the nerve to short out which causes pain, numbness, tingling, etc.

Fibromyalgia is more widespread, is not associated with lesions, and is not due to demyelination.
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

Thanks

I have MS. I was diagnosed in 2010. My sister-in-law has Fibromyalgia. This list will be good to show her and discuss with her. We like to "trade war stories".

Comment

It would be good to speak about both and gain more knowledge. Thank you for the reply

Comment

Oh MY seems I really DO have Fibro. Heck, I suspected it, but that list is filled with many things that sure "sound familiar"
                Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

MS and Fibro

I was DX with MS in 2010 and was just DX with fibromyalgia two weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X