First MS UTI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First MS UTI

So I just got my first UTI since Dx. I was surprised, though, that I had no idea anything was wrong. Luckily I was getting a physical after switching to a new PCP and he did a urine analysis. I guess in retrospect I was going an awful lot, but my symptoms were not like the couple UTIs I had in my late teens, early 20s.

Has anyone else not known they had a UTI? Any helpful hints on how to spot one? I've thought I was in relapse for a few weeks now, but was stumped by clear MRIs. Maybe the UTI was exacerbating my Sx?

Originally posted by newbie but goodie View Post
    So I just got my first UTI since Dx. I was surprised, though, that I had no idea anything was wrong. Luckily I was getting a physical after switching to a new PCP and he did a urine analysis. I guess in retrospect I was going an awful lot, but my symptoms were not like the couple UTIs I had in my late teens, early 20s.

Has anyone else not known they had a UTI? Any helpful hints on how to spot one? I've thought I was in relapse for a few weeks now, but was stumped by clear MRIs. Maybe the UTI was exacerbating my Sx?
    I get them from time to time because I self cath. Sometimes it can just be cloudy urine, or a different smell to your urine. Sometimes you can't tell until it gets bad and you have painful urination. I am glad they caught it early for you!

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Hi newbie but goodie,

UTIs or any infection, virus or flu can cause a temporary ( Pseudo-exacerbation) increase in MS symptoms. Once the infection/virus/flu clears up your MS symptoms should go back to what is normal for you.

I have dealt with UTIs since the age of four(4) so I am very aware of the different symptoms that signal a UTI. I have always known when I had a UTI until a couple of years ago....

I had not been doing very well MS wise and so, on a hunch, I went to my PCP to check my urine...lo and behold I had a pretty bad UTI. There were never any indications of a UTI and my PCP was quite suprised considering I could not tell him any symptom(s) that would indicate a UTI.

Having a UTI without any symptoms of a UTI (except for an increase of MS symptoms) has happened twice.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I guess I'll have to start paying more attention from now on. Not to mention adding cranberry to my daily regimen

As it turns out, I am now having severe discomfort a week or two after finishing the antibiotics. My Dr prescribed me a muscle relaxer and says if that doesn't do the trick I will have to see a urologist. I am totally freaked out.

Do either of you (or anyone else) have experience with persistent discomfort AFTER the resolution of a UTI? MY UA was clear today but I am still super uncomfortable. I hope these muscle relaxers at least make me feel a little better.

Comment

Working...
        X