going vegitarian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going vegitarian

I saw a story/research about how meat has a protein similar to that found in MS patients. They suggest that people with MS go veggie and it will increase their energy and decrease relapses. Has there been any evidence to support this?

research

I'm reading a book right now by Dr. George Jelinek called Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis. He has a website. You can google his name. He has presented research in his book on low saturated diets, plant based, but also eating fish. Those studies don't get a lot of fan fare because they aren't supported by drug companies.

I got my copy of the book through the public library's Inter library Loan.
    Karen,
    Part time Registered Nurse
    Diagnosed 2012 just started Gilenya Jan. 12th, 2015. Formerly on Betaseron for two yrs

Comment

There is a book by Dr. Roy Swank that is full of documentation and recipes re: vegetarian eating. Dr. Swank and Dr. John McDougall ( his protege ) have espoused the vegetarian diet for a long time. Dr. Swank began his interest in MS while he was treating patients in the hospital in France after the Second World War. Swank came home to the states after the war and began to practice in the northwest U.S. Long story short, he did unbelievable case studies for over 30 years of his patients. Read his book. If it doesn't change your mind about MS treatment, nothing will. Good luck

Comment

naaustin,

Jerry D and msgymrat have both given you excellent suggestions for places to go to pursue this further. I am on the OMS plan myself, have been for almost 3 months.

As with any of the diet based plans, it can take a long time before you see/feel any change in your MS symptoms.
        In general, I feel better, have lost some weight and feel more enpowered in doing something positive for my health.

I encourage you to take a deeper look into going on a plant based diet. Baby steps are allowed during the transition! I am still eating a small amount of chicken.
        Meet me in a land of hope and dreams. -Bruce Springsteen

Comment

Originally posted by MsGymRat View Post
          I'm reading a book right now by Dr. George Jelinek called Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis. He has a website. You can google his name. He has presented research in his book on low saturated diets, plant based, but also eating fish. Those studies don't get a lot of fan fare because they aren't supported by drug companies.

I got my copy of the book through the public library's Inter library Loan.

Jelinek's book is the best thing you can read when you're starting out. It's based on Swank's work and explains the dietary aspects but also much, much more. You will be glad you've read it. I read my first copy from the library as well. I have Swank's book as well and it's a great read, but I would start with Jelenik since it's more up-to-date and he writes from the perspective of someone who has the disease. He's also a doctor.

Here's the book. You will be so happy you've found it. follow the reading list as well. Begin to read about other people who faced disease and thrived.. FDR, Lance Armstrong, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Mul...iple+sclerosis

Comment

MS already vegetarian

Have any of you been diagnosed, but already vegetarian?

I believe very strongly in natural medicine, including diet. I had been a vegetarian for several years when I became ill, so I wonder would this help me at all if it's not a change?

Also, if a vegetarian or vegan diet is working for you, do you also take an immunomodulator or any heavy medication like this?

Comment

I was raised Seventh Day Adventist, and had a mostly vegan diet for much of my life. Didn't help much, I was diagnosed with the MonSter. I will say that I have felt better after reading/adhearing to dr swank's diet.

Comment

Be sure not to get tripped up on the "Do vegetarians get MS" question. The answer is yes, and that doesn't mean anything necessariy, even according to the theories and evidence.

Read the books and the research and see if you're convinced. Also, consider that you have the rest of your life to get other possible diseases. Why not limit it by eating healthy?

for an idea, watch "Forks over Knives" on your favorite streaming video service or on youtube. Finally, if this question still bothers you, just ask youself if non-smokers get heart disease or lung cancer.

Comment

The facts of the case for vegetarian dieting and the benefits as pertaining to chronic illness is evidenced through Dr. Swank, Dr. Jelinek, Dr. Campbell, Dr. Eselstyn and many others with and without medical licenses. This 'vegetarian diet treating MS' should be as common to the medical world as the DMD's are.
                  As far as the question of 'Do vegetarians get MS?' goes, the answer is invariably, 'Yes'! So, that seems to prove that MS has more than one cause. And poor diet may be blamed. Or maybe low vitamin D absorption. Or maybe Epstein-Barr is the cause. Or maybe there is a genetic component. Or any/all of the above. I am sure of the fact that I feel best when I am eating carefully.

Comment

Working...
                  X