Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confused about Sx - Has this happend to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about Sx - Has this happend to you?

I thought I would ask if this is a potential MS thing or if it is something else I have going on. My GP thought it could be an MS thing and recommend I went to the Neuro but I am having all sorts of problems with my Neuro.

She is trying to completely dismiss my MS Dx from another Neuro and doesn't seem to want to deal with me at all. She said that my symptoms can't be MS related because there shouldn't be pain with urination/incontinence symptoms. Just because we disagree about other things doesn't mean that she is wrong about this. Nothing like controversy to make you feel insecure.

So while I am waiting to find a Urologist who takes my insurance to check me out I thought I would ask you guys.

About 6 months ago I started to have problems urinating where the stream would interrupt and I would either have to concentrate on what I was doing or focus on something completely different to relax enough to go. I also sometimes have to push on one side of the other of my bladder to go. Or I just can't go at all. I also have occasional light bladder leakage.

I had some pain and got checked out for a UTI had one and got it cleared up and still had pain, rechecked no UTI but still had pain when urinating and at random times. Sometimes it feels like someone is squeezing my bladder when it is full and some times it is the normal burning UTI feeling. I don't have any infection going on now but still have pain on occasion.

The other strange thing is the pain is worse late at night and keeps me from sleeping at night but doesn't bother me as much during the daytime. I just have trouble going during the day.

I don't know how quickly I will be able to get into a Urologist as my insurance keeps getting changed around. Have any other MSers had pain like this not related to UTIs? Or any of the other things?

I've had urethra spasms that were extremely painful and unrelated to UTIs.

I've had untreatable UTIs throughout adult life. I can't remember the last time I've had a UTI, although I still have lots of bladder 'issues', some are painful.

I've had pain associated with over-full bladder first thing in the morning, but couldn't void.

The new doc sounds like a such a big problem that you just don't need. I've been through the new doc routine and I don't envy you at all.

Calling your old neuro might be the best option to keep up your meds, doc referrals, and to consult with about your current bladder issues.

Comment

Thank you for making me feel like I am not crazy. This new Neuro is the biggest regret I have for my cross state move. I am trying to find new options now since she isn't helping with other new symptoms either and pulled me off my DMD since she decided I don't have MS. I am working on finding a new one but there are not many options in my area.

Comment

Dear Pressed:

I have had retention/hesitancy issues for a few years. Multiple UTI's, but no burning or pain...except for retention discomfort.

I finally went to a Urologist assuming I would have to learn how to self-cath to fully drain my bladder. The first "recommendation" (i.e. order) the Urologist gave me was to eliminate carbonated beverages from my diet. I LOVE my diet colas......but I gave them up.

I only drank 2 cans of soda per day, but the Urologist said the caffeine, carbonation, artificial sweetner and phophates all irritate the bladder. I didn't want to go on any more medication because I already take so much, so we agreed I'd eliminate carbonated beverages and return in 1 month.

My follow-up appointment is this week and I can honestly say my retention and hesitancy issues have improved 75-80%. Not totally gone, but MUCH, MUCH better! However, I do still miss my diet sodas!!

Don't know if sodas could be part of your problem, but if you do drink soda, maybe try getting off carbonated beverages while you wait to see a Urologist?

Comment

Originally posted by Canary54 View Post
          My follow-up appointment is this week and I can honestly say my retention and hesitancy issues have improved 75-80%. Not totally gone, but MUCH, MUCH better! However, I do still miss my diet sodas!!
          Wow, that's totally fascinating! How long has it been since you began these changes? Please be sure to update us on how your appt goes.
          Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Cat Mom:

Just saw the urologist and she released me to return only if other issues arise. I am amazed to have so much relief just from eliminating carbonated drinks.

I weaned off 2 diet cokes a day over the period of 1 week to avoid caffeine headaches. Within 2-3 days of being completely off carbonated drinks, I could see a difference.

The Urologist explained to me that the bladder is a muscle and when that muscle is constantly irritated (by carbonated beverages) it can become spastic; unable to completely empty. I also experienced frequent urination, which she said was also caused by the irritation…….and resulted in a weak urine stream due to voiding before the bladder really needed to be emptied.

I know eliminating carbonated beverages isn’t the solution to all the urinary issues those of us with MS experience, but it’s a cheap and easy way to see if you can get some relief without seeing a urologist.

I feel so much better now that I’m not constantly running to the restroom and then having difficulty going when I get there. My belly doesn’t feel bloated due to urinary retention. I only wake up once a night to go to the restroom, but that is probably pretty common for a 58 year old woman.

Comment

Working...
            X