Vit B6 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vit B6 Question

I have been taking B12 for the past several months when I cut out meat and dairy. I have been considering going to a B Complex for a variety of reasons. I know that Tara recommends a B complex made from whole foods, as opposed to one synthetically made.

As I was researching a brand to take , I came across some info on the web warning about high dosages of B6 and the problems it can cause. Here is just ONE ex. of what I found. http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA50582...-problems.html

Apparently, it can be toxic and cause symptoms that mimic MS. It appears to be a probem with very high dosages but many of the brands that I looked at had very high RDA %'s of all the B's. Very confusing as I thought the B's were water soluble.

Any thoughts, opinions, words of wisdom, etc...
    Meet me in a land of hope and dreams. -Bruce Springsteen

I just looked up the USRDA numbers for B vitamins. Something seems amiss to me. The level for vitamin B-6 is 2.0 mg daily if you are lactating and a little less if you are an adult. It also says that vitamin B-12 intake should be under 10 mcg's daily. I take 2000 mcg's B-12 daily. I think I need to speak with my doctor and get a professional opinion. Good luck

Comment

Jerry,

From what I have gathered you would really have to be mega dosing on the B6, upwards of 300 mg per day for it to reach a toxic level in some people. Most of the B complex I was looking at online where between 10-100 mg each. Yes, the RDA%'s are higher but the mg's appear to be fine.

Sometimes I research this stuff to death and end up with more questions than answers. I did find one online that I ordered and am going to try.
      Meet me in a land of hope and dreams. -Bruce Springsteen

Comment

My implication is that the RDA's are ridiculously low. Look at vitamin D or vitamin C. And, yes I agree, some vitamins should not be taken in 'mega'-doses.
        I questioned my 'naturopath' MD about the dosage of vitamin D and he suggested 5000iu's daily. About 6 months later, my cardiologist disagreed and suggested a lower dose. I asked to have my blood tested for vitamin D level. My level came in at 50ng/mL, up from 29 the year before.

Comment

Working...
        X