Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My PT suggested Treking Poles?!!! Yikes...please advise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consider me another "Trekking fan" I love mine. I probably not be able to do my shorts walks without them as they keep me more upright and stable than using my cane alone. They are the same poles I used while mountain climbing a few years back. ~sigh~ Never thought I'd eventually need them just to walk a ways up my long driveway and back!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Angeldifferent,

Don't you worry about what people think! This is about YOU, and you alone! Do what is best for you.

I've been in a wheelchair for 2 years. I'm not negating your experience but if I had a chance to walk with poles, I would take pride in every step. I'd walk with my head held high and a huge smile on my face!

Use the tools that keep you mobile, and safely so. It's better than losing your balance and falling.

Be well!
      When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Angeld..thank you for this thread.

I started using a cane or walker, 20 years ago. I found it increased my ability to stand erect, performance, endurance and allowed me to go and do things, otherwise, I could not have enjoyed. And I wasn't so exhausted, afterward.

Those treking poles look pretty "sporty" and I have gazed at them, in the past. I occasionally use my "hiking" stick, but the trek poles, look much safer.

I rather like hearing your therapist actually, recommends it. I am gonna get one! And all the pretty colors and styles! fed

Comment

Treking poles?

First of all, just FYI, my neurologist said that my insurance will only pay for Ampyra if the speed on the walking test is below a certain level. Which I am nowhere near--I can walk fast, but not for very long.

I am having balance problems. I have fallen several times lately, once that resulted in a closed head injury, and 3 weeks with 2 black eyes. My employee health nurse wants me to get a walker. I already use a cane when I feel unstable, and I recently enrolled in a water aerobics class at the urging of a coworker.

I guess my question is: would the hiking sticks be a better thing to try and improve my balance?

Comment

I am so sorry to hear of your injuries. As you may know, they can be quite significant in your wellbeing. Not worth the risk, that's for sure.

I would suggest a walker for gait device. It gives more stability and control. There are pros and cons for different types.
            Wheeled walker is easier to use than a standard walker as you do not have to lift the walker for each step. However, If you push it too fast and your body doesn't remain in the center of it, you can be at risk of losing balance. It can also be more challenging to use on carpet.
            Walkers do require arm strength and depending on type of walker may also depend on you upper body ability.

Since it is always best to get an accurate assessment, I would strongly suggest going to physical therapy. They will assess needs and abilities, choose the best assistive device for you (there are many available), size it appropriately and provide training.

Stay Safe
            Be Well,
            Susan

Comment

Working...
            X