Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My PT suggested Treking Poles?!!! Yikes...please advise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My PT suggested Treking Poles?!!! Yikes...please advise?

Susan, or to anyone? Help? lol. I had my 2nd pt appt. yesterday. I took a 6 minute walking test...she said my speed was way slow for my age (44) seen on her notes 65+! yikes. And she said she noticed at the end of my "test" that my right leg went stiff and my right foot turned inside.
    I told her I always felt my left was my problem, foot can go numb & can limp on left when upset, or start getting tired. I was really proud of myself, my walks around my neighborhood was down to 3 mins, and built back up to 13 mins. just this past week...! :{ Now she made me feel a failure. And had me try these treking poles. I don't like them, feel more handicapped and all will stare at me in my neighborhood.
    She barely gave me a chance to say anything...and felt rushed. I asked her, so this is just temporary? She said, well we don't know yet....geez! I don't want to be dependant on these things! I want to improve on my own. Does this mean i'm getting worse? Will this help? Ugh, and she wants me to do 30 mins a day, 3 10 mins. walks if i have to start out this way! Wouldn't a cane be less dependant, just use on walks for some more support for my balance..or better yet a brace?, and can i buy a brace at the store, maybe wearing on my left leg will help?
    (confused cuz she said in the beginning we will see about a brace or cane, never expected these treking poles, I think they are horrific! ) She is head of neuro there, but I may ask for another ms pt, i know there is 2 more...sighhhh
    Sorry u can see i'm very uspet and not sure where to go....thanks for any advise or suggestions!
    Dx'd "probable"-5/2012. Swank diet, supplements, meditation & exercise daily. Keep on Keeping

Treking poles

I see women using these quite often in my neighborhood, they use these for the total body engagement they offer, not as an assistive device. I am thinking of picking some up myself because they would assist in balance and help me to walk easier (when I am not walking with my dog as a point of reference for me my balance is off) Not only would they help with balance issues but they are used to engage our arms as well which is a more overall workout. Try not to take what your neurologist said personally. I find it to be a fabulous idea and am glad I read this cause I forgot about them. I do have some issues with balance and my right leg but I believe I am worth going the extra mile to help me to work smarter not harder. Thanks

Comment

I understand your reaction. It sounds like she may need some bedside manner.
      The goal of PT is too build you up. I think this sounds like what this will do.
      It sounds like this will do a lot for upper body.
      It looks a whole lot more than I could do WAY MORE.
      A real work out, way more than a cane in my thinking.
      Use them with pride!! Get physical.. and sweat it out. Looks like to me!
      RRMS 25 yrs soon to start Tysabri. Have been on Beta, C, R and G.

Comment

Trekking poles and confidence

Sounds like you had a lousy session, but don't give up. It can take a practice to get the hang of them - not long - so hang in there.

I am fortunate to live within walking distance to work, and I used to do this to and from each day. MS, however, changed this - fatigue, heat intolerance and foot drop - make it less fun, so I went on a quest to find a solution to get back to my former routine and found "Poles for Mobility" (DVD) by Jayah Faye Paley. You can also see snippets of the DVD on Youtube.

The advantage to using trekking/hiking poles when walking increases upper body strength, generates core stability and balance; thus, spreading the work of walking throughout the body.

Sure, they took a little time to get the hang of, but soon I was moving out with confidence. As for being "noticed" in a negative way...

I don't care what other people think when I'm using my poles because they help me do what I like to do. I just keep my head up and walk proud! If someone does ask about them, I use the opportunity to educate them about why I use them. No one has ever been mean or snotty, just curious.

Also, if you have questions, Jayah is amazingly responsive. Feel free to contact her (see the "poles for Mobility" website) and you'll get a speedy response.

One last thing, Jayah recently was interviewed on the John Rowley Show on his MS Mondays webcast - click on the title of the blogpost to get the button to push it and listen adventurebuddies.net MS Radio Talk show

Check out her blog at "adventurebuddies.net"and have fun!

I hope this is helpful.

Comment

This is standard gear for hikers and backpackers and would look less conspicuous than a cane. People use them while hiking to keep the upper body in shape for, or train for cross country skiing in the winter. I think they look hip and snazzy, and are often carried by sporting goods stores.
          It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

love the trekking poles!

Angeldifferent,

So sorry that your PT has zero listening and diplomacy skills.

However, I think her suggestion is a good one. I just tried some poles last night and then saw your post this morning! As others have stated, they distribute the work of walking throughout the body. I felt like my old self last night as I went further and faster on my own then I have in ages.

I understand your concern about relying on them, but I felt they were much better then the cane as I was standing up straight, moving faster, etc.. I'm sure she also has you doing other exercises that will also aid in building up your legs.

I have done hiking in the past and these are standard gear for hikers as others have stated.

As LL said,
            I think they look hip and snazzy
            I agree!!
            Meet me in a land of hope and dreams. -Bruce Springsteen

Comment

Originally posted by lusciousleaves View Post
              This is standard gear for hikers and backpackers and would look less conspicuous than a cane. People use them while hiking to keep the upper body in shape for, or train for cross country skiing in the winter. I think they look hip and snazzy, and are often carried by sporting goods stores.
              This. I see the non-disabled using these poles for fitness all the time -- on hiking trails but also in the park or on the roads.

They also offer greater stability in a symmetrical way, which a cane does not. Seems like a better approach from a biomechanical point of view.

Comment

Actually it is good news she is recommending Trekking poles, instead of a cane or braces. The reason being canes (and I think braces) help with weakness issues, whereas trekking poles for balance.
                And by improving balance you are improving endurance, being that balancing takes a lot of energy.

REI has lots of cool poles with some neat of options, like antishock, ultra-light, collapsible, different handles and colors, and etc. I have not used it in years a collapsible “Leki” brand, which I can use as a pole and shorten and use as a cane.

In addition to poles I recommend asking her if ankle weight would help. Personally I have the heaviest weights I could find and after just a few minutes walking like Frankenstein in them I have a noticeable improvement in my walk, after I take them off.

P.S. Just wondering, has she talked to you about the drug Ampyra? If not i recommend asking her about it.
                Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

As a healthcare professional, I am appalled at the therapist's responses and reaction.

There are many, many more therapists out there that have professional standards that meet the needs of the profession and individuals.

Therapy is goal oriented, a collaboration between therapist and patient. My first suggestion is to get another therapist.
                  There are so many aspects to patient assessment and dissemination of information that is directed to the patient, you.

Also, the poles are not assistive devices as responded to previously by another poster. Another therapist can also assess what best suits your daily needs. Should you go hiking, then get those poles out!

Therapy not only provides assessment, but also develops a structured plan for areas identified needing improvement... whether it's strengthening, balance, coordination and so on, a treatment plan must be provided

I am sorry your experience was so negative. Don't give in, stand up for your rights...we often have to be our own advocate.

Ampyra does help approx 20 % of people with walking deficits- so I'm told by a pharmaceutical representative. It certainly doesn't hurt to talk to your physician.

Regardless, proper treatment of areas of deficits is very important.
                  Please keep me posted as to opportunities that might come up. Hang in there, there are many therapist ready, willing and very able to help.

Be Safe
                  Be Well,
                  Susan

Comment

Originally posted by SusanD View Post
                    Also, the poles are not assistive devices as responded to previously by another poster.
                    Hi Susan.

Trekking Poles may not be a "traditional" mobility aid but Trekking pole are very much up to the task. Many Chapters of The National Multiple Sclerosis Society promote trekking Poles as a viable option for a mobility aid.

I, myself, have trekking poles and got them on the recommendation of a Physical Therapist. Trekking Poles help with balance, endurance and are safe to use.

Both my PCP and neuro think trekking poles are a good choice as a mobility aid. I have had many people in the last several years stop me and ask about the poles. I am more than happy to answer questions to any who ask me...many of them the elderly.
                    Diagnosed 1984
                    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I apologize if my comment was not properly stated.
                      I was concerned about the therapist not listening to the patient and finding a device that suited the individual's needs.

Yes, the trekking poles are helpful for many people and are being used more these days. Identifying what can assist the person without being cumbersome is important.

I appreciate your input
                      Be Well,
                      Susan

Comment

I have just recently been diagnosed but for years have had terrific pain and restrictive movement in and around the lower back, hips, knees and feet - I elected this week to look at canes - I think they could be the new women's fashion accessory.

In any event, while visiting a dear friend on Friday, she noted that my walking was more impaired, I take careful and considered steps, and she suggested I consider trekking poles. The fist thing I thought was wow, that would give me a little extra exercise as the arm work would be upper body and they would likely support some core muscle benefits. I also thought that the two poles would help with balance.

I think the poles an awesome alternative to a cane as myself, I'm concerned that I'd rely on the cane for too much support and might bring on some shoulder/elbow issues as a consequence. Anyway, as others on this thread noted, I too have seen many people in my town walking about with the poles.

Really, yes, they can be attention grabbing, but the attention being grabbed might be more envy than pity and I'm am all over that!
                        “Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.”
                        ~ Mark Twain . . .Or a typo on the Internet. Srsly.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your story.
                          It's always good to let others, including myself , hear first hand how different equipment can make a difference.
                          Be Well,
                          Susan

Comment

I use treking poles and love them. I was only diagnosed 5mths ago but balance has always been an issue. The poles really help as I am standing straight and striding well. At present I only use them around the garden (a large block ) as an exercise tool, but I do think they have helped. I also take fampyra and I think it has really assisted my walking.
                            Give it a go and good luck!!

Comment

Do give the poles a chance. For me, they are great. I do get a few jokes about skiing in the summer in south Texas, but they are friendly jokes. I just laugh with them. I have scoliosis as well as MS. The poles are a tremendous help to me. They keep me upright and keep my arms moving, also help balance.

Comment

Working...
                              X