No announcement yet.

BREAST CANCER & ME *DECISIONS* Part 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are fortunate to have found each other. MS is bad; breast cancer is bad. Both is just totally unfair. I'm glad you have someone to share encouragement and information with.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

One year Later...

Hi Everyone -

I must tell you that I just saw this thread and reread my whole cancer bit from last year here. It was so nice to read all the warm encouragement and prayers. Just gave me a nice warm feeling of belonging to the group Thanks.

So, now half a year after I ended chemo-radiation I went for a mammogram and US. Everything is fine just a real head ache. First, the right breast (not the one that had cancer) had a something (whatever) - The Dr said he's positive it's just fluid but he wants a biopsy. Just like I knew the other one was cancer before the results, I knew this one was nothing, and it was nothing .

Then the left where I had had the lumpectomy left a real big hard bump, but they said that's OK. But then it started swelling. The surgeon said that I have fluid in the hole from the lump that they removed. He said it can wait forever if I want, even the oncologist said it's nothing. First I was going to leave it, but later every day it starts to hurt so I'm draining it Wednesday after Tysbri (The hospital is an hour away so I try to schedule 2 things on the same day ).

Everything is fine, but so many Dr appointments
      Dx 1/86 at age 23
      Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
      Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

I've been reading this thread since last year and was wondering what happened.

I'm glad to hear you're doing so well!

Comment

A grateful heart

Dear Donna and others who have posted,

As one of the original posters on the five threads comprising BREAST CANCER & ME, I am amazed to see how many continue to read and post. My thoughts and prayers are with you on this perilous path. All of the parts were difficult - both to go through and to write about - and I am so grateful that my fellow sisters with both MS and breast cancer are still finding these threads useful.

I am doing well, only one more year of oral chemo. My reconstructed "bionic bosom" is just fine too. The only continuing trouble is the hot flashes that persist from the chemo, aggravating my MS. But I hope these will abate when I can be rid of the letrozole. My daily water workouts, I believe, have helped my muscle tone around the implants. I recommend that any woman who opts for the reconstruction sign up for a pool membership.

Again, blessings to you, all of you.
          Stay lifted,
          Mermaid
          "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

well said!

mermaid, i'm glad you're doing mostly well. those hot flashes are no fun i'm sure!

i, too, am amazed at how much response we've gotten from these threads. they were well worth the time and effort we all sweated out on them.

update on me. i'm doing great cancer wise! free and clear and released from cancer dr.!!! woohoo!

though i went the no reconstruct route. glad there are so many options for women with breast cancer. it's all very different and personal for everyone.
            thank you to all have participated in these forums. keep it up! breast cancer isn't gone yet, having MS doesn't keep you safe from having other diseases (though it should!!!)

i had my double mastectomy 2 mo. (or less) before my first grandchild was born. she just left after a 3 week vacation at grandma and papa's house. she's growing up so fast!!! 3 1/2 already with a baby brother/ sister on the way!!

so, she's never known my body to look any different and has never mentioned my 'boobless' chest.
            she's getting too smart. while dressing for church she asked me 'why aren't your boobies hanging out?' (side note- her mom took after my DH's side, it was a v-neck dress.)

i told her they wouldn't stick out because i don't have any. well, we played 20 million questions the rest of her stay. at least it was never at church! a few times at the store though!

God bless all of you who are beginning, going through, stuck or finished with this journey/

Keep us updated and always holler for help, we're here for you!

poohb3ar
            "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Not So Good

Originally posted by DonnaD View Post
              Hi Everyone -

I must tell you that I just saw this thread and reread my whole cancer bit from last year here. It was so nice to read all the warm encouragement and prayers. Just gave me a nice warm feeling of belonging to the group Thanks.

So, now half a year after I ended chemo-radiation I went for a mammogram and US. Everything is fine just a real head ache. First, the right breast (not the one that had cancer) had a something (whatever) - The Dr said he's positive it's just fluid but he wants a biopsy. Just like I knew the other one was cancer before the results, I knew this one was nothing, and it was nothing .

Then the left where I had had the lumpectomy left a real big hard bump, but they said that's OK. But then it started swelling. The surgeon said that I have fluid in the hole from the lump that they removed. He said it can wait forever if I want, even the oncologist said it's nothing. First I was going to leave it, but later every day it starts to hurt so I'm draining it Wednesday after Tysbri (The hospital is an hour away so I try to schedule 2 things on the same day ).

Everything is fine, but so many Dr appointments
              I was so optimistic in my post in February. I was so wrong and the surgeon who said it's just a saroma drain it if you want and come back in half a year was so so so wrong! He wasn't the surgeon who had done my lumpectomy. He had never seen my "scar tissue" before. I was just there for a checkup with him. I was soooo relieved when he said "It's just a saroma - drain it if you want and I'll see you in half a year". Then I went to my oncologist (who was very very young and inexperienced but my whole BC last year had seemed so simple and she actually had a department head meet with us too and set up my treatment plan then) - So she was easy to agree with the surgeon's assessment.

So I went to drain the saroma in February cause I was getting addicted to Advil cause it did hurt. So then the Doctor (not sure exactly what type of doctor he is - He does the ultrasounds in the Breast-health unit and the biopsies) saw my big "scar tissue" over the saroma and asked "are you sure you're not here for a biopsy?" - Nope - The surgeon said it's OK. So he drained what he could and that was that.

That was my mistake. Like this doctor, and the oncologist, I put all all my faith in this surgeon (or was afraid to question his assessment). I should have pushed for a biopsy ASAP. I should have returned to the surgeon or the oncologist right after the draining and shown them what was still there.

So in May, I finally decided that enough was enough and returned to the surgeon (I wasn't supposed to go till August!) - he took one one look and said "WOW! - I didn't see that in February!" - No, You didn't cause you were so sure of your saroma assessment of scar tissue that you never ever saw before! He arranged a biopsy right then that day. And sure enough, the cancer is back less than a year after my other treatments finished.

The cancer is aggressive. I'm having weekly chemo now and who knows if it will work. I'm very bitter. I can live with what G-d gives me. I've lived with MS for 30 years. I still count my blessings. I have 5 great kids who now help me when I need it (a great husband too ). I managed with my breast cancer last year too. But I am sooo MAD (sad too) - my situation is so bad because of these doctors who just didn't care enough to follow through. I have a new oncologist - I asked her - If I was your sister, what else would you be doing to treat me? I push her a lot to do her best for me. She's new in this hospital so she wasn't around for any of the mistreatment so I can keep telling her that they messed up.

I've only told the people who I told last year too (my kids, parents, sisters and one friend - I added my brother and my husband's sister to the group now - anyone in the group that is married, obviously, is expected to share with their spouse). That's why you're getting my full story (and anger) dumped on you. Even the people who know, don't know how bad it is. I can't bring myself to tell people. I was always like that with my MS too. Only my husband knows everything about everything.
              Dx 1/86 at age 23
              Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
              Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

Hi Donna,

I'm so sorry your doctors were complacent and that your cancer is back. It's so sad you were so easily dismissed. I hope your message on the importance of being your own advocate helps others who read this.

I'm glad you finally decided to go back to the surgeon when you did, and found a new oncologist you are pushing for the best treatment possible from. You are in my prayers, and feel free to 'dump' all you want on us. I can't even imagine how hard this is for you. Please keep us updated.
                Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Donna --

So sorry about the bad news. Praying for wisdom and compassion for your doctor/surgeon and those around you. Praying for a return to health for you.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                  X