FDA extends BG-12 Review Timeframe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FDA extends BG-12 Review Timeframe

The approval time frame has been extended by 3 months. No additional information has been requested of Biogen, so it doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary or any reason for concern.

I had to remove the . in the address due to it not letting me post URLs.

www biogenidec com/PRESS_RELEASE_DETAILS.aspx?ID=5981&ReqId=1747042

BIOGEN IDEC RECEIVES NOTIFICATION OF PDUFA DATE EXTENSION
    WESTON, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 18, 2012-- Today Biogen Idec (NASDAQ: BIIB) announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has extended the initial PDUFA date for its review of the New Drug Application (NDA) for the marketing approval of BG-12 (dimethyl fumarate), the company’s oral therapeutic candidate for the treatment of multiple sclerosis (MS). The 3 month extension is a standard extension period.

The FDA has indicated that the extension of the PDUFA date is needed to allow additional time for review of the application. The agency has not asked for additional studies.

About Dimethyl Fumarate
    Dimethyl fumarate, also known as BG-12, is an investigational oral therapy in late-stage clinical development for the treatment of RRMS, the most common form of MS. Dimethyl fumarate is the only currently known investigational compound for the treatment of RRMS that has experimentally demonstrated activation of the Nrf-2 pathway.

Dimethyl fumarate is currently under review by regulatory authorities in the United States, European Union, Australia, Canada and Switzerland.
    About Biogen Idec

Through cutting-edge science and medicine, Biogen Idec discovers, develops and delivers to patients worldwide innovative therapies for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, hemophilia and autoimmune disorders. Founded in 1978, Biogen Idec is the world’s oldest independent biotechnology company. Patients worldwide benefit from its leading multiple sclerosis therapies, and the company generates more than $5 billion in annual revenues. For product labeling, press releases and additional information about the company, please visit www biogenidec com.
    ** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

I believe Biogen submitted the BG-12 application to the FDA on 2/28/12.

The standard 10 month FDA review period ends on 12/28/12.

The just announced 3 month extension would end 3/28/13.

Comment

From what I've heard... this has nothing to do with the medication itself.
      I think this is more on the FDA's end of having things done in a timely manner.

Just what I "heard" though.
      Ashley Ringstaff
      Living with MS since 8/30/10

Comment

Working...
      X