If you are interested in Diet and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are interested in Diet and MS

You may as well go back to the beginning. If you can, check out "The Multiple Sclerosis Diet Book" by Roy Swank. He is the grandfather of all MS diets and as far as I know, the only one that has had significant study.

He followed 144 patients on the diet for 30+ years and published their results. It's a facinating story and whatever your neurologist may say, a compelling study (Mine said there were too many dropouts, but this is not actually true - you can see it in the study).

Here's a writeup on Swank's Website:
    http://www.swankmsdiet.org/About%20Dr%20Swank

Here's the actual study
    http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...lementId=20084+paper+in+the+Lancet/

Really quite an amazing study. Thanks for posting, as it is a great place for anyone considering dietary change to begin.

My last visit w/neoro 2 months back, I told him I was trying some dietary changes much like Dr. Swank recommended. I figured he would not be familiar with Jelenik, but thought he would certainly know about Swank. Wrong, had no clue...i simply said, "Google him".

In the earlier yrs of my dx I read alot and came across the study but must of only read about it somewhere (not the actual book/study). What i read was inaccurate, it said the diet did not allow coffee, chocolate and alchohol (to name a few) and at the time, I said no way! I regret not taking more time to investigate but I can't go back now, just keep moving forward.

p.s. No more chocolate for me but don't take away my black coffee in the morn and having a small glass of red vino right now!
    Meet me in a land of hope and dreams. -Bruce Springsteen

Comment

sewhappy,
      I have the Swank book on my side table all the time. I refer to it and Forks over Knives, constantly.
      I don't expect my doctors, except my naturopath, to know about this subject. Every time I have brought up diet in discussion, my neurologist's eyes have glazed over.

Comment

My GP recommended the Jelinek book to me long before I had heard about it here. But she's good that way...

Comment

I think they pretend not to have heard of him. It avoids the whole discussion. Kay - you have an amazing GP. I just feel lucky I saw it mentioned here when I was first diagnosed and I went to the library and got it immediately. Jelinek's book was the only one that didn't start out "Multiple sclerosis is a progressive debilitating disease, etc". It started out as a narrative and it avoids being depressing without compromising any truths.

Here's the book: I recommend it to anyone who wants to know more about the disease and espeically if you have any interest in complimentary treatments.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

Comment

Working...
          X