Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Confused!

Hi all!

Long story short, after 6 months of sitting home unable to work or drive, just waiting for meds to start making things better instead of worse, I've taken a meds-holiday. Discussed with all my doctors, and followed plans to come off slowly etc, I'm definitely missing my anti-depressants but that's part of the risk I was willing to take. I just *had* to try a different approach, try to feel more proactive.

Anyway, my plan is to quit smoking, start eating better, and once the spasticity in my back calms down enough, start exercising. I then plan to slowly re-introduce meds one at a time so I have a bit more clarity with side-effects and benefits. I know quitting smoking will be tough, but its the change in eating habits that's got me all confused and flustered!

I have read so many threads on this board, and gawd-knows how many other articles on diet and MS, and I am feeling so lost! Just for good measure, I've also got polycystic ovarian syndrome and an impaired glucose tolerance (not gluten) so that makes it all the more confusing when trying to figure this all out.

I like the sounds of the primal style of eating, and I know I have to adapt it to be as low GI as possible, just wondering what specific things I should avoid, and what some suitable substitutes would be?

I think its going to be easier to put a list of food on the fridge that I should eat, rather than what I should avoid, so any suggestions to help my poor muddled confused and overwhelmed brain would be greatly appreciated!

Congratulations on deciding to take control of of your health!

There is no single MS diet. There is the original Swank diet, the Overcomming Multiple Sclerosis Diet (OMS) based on Swank but amended, there is the Best Bet, which is a kind of Paleo diet that many naturopaths subscribe to.

Here's an earlier where were were discussing the theories and evidence between each of the different diets.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=121670

BTW, if you lose weight and reduce your calorie intake and exercise, you can improve your glucose tolerance.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/31...ose-tolerance/

This is the one single plan I recomend and follow. Get the book from the library. It will insprire and educate you.

I recommend you read the book for an understanding of the research and principles. I believe it will help you in all aspects of the disease.

The program is laid out here:

http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...gram-Overview/

And summarized on a 2-page printout, here:
    http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...umentCode=1933

Comment

melwah I am in the land of cnfusion right beside you, only I have no concrete diagnosis.

sound to me like you are being as safe and sensible as possible about pharmaceuticals, and working with your care team. 18 months ago i did a med house cleaning to bring me down to 2 necessities from 15, plus anything else if sick say with bronchitis ,etc. found out my muscle issues were being made far worse by one med 2 weeks after stopping it! Presently at 5 but not happy about it. 2 are being weaned down and am coming back off.

I am just learning about the diets. if you do a forum search from the main front forum page, right hand top edge, using keywords like primal, or the different diet names, it may help you find what you need. just under the type in search box there is a click link to do and advanced search, hope this helps.

here is to living fully despite challenges, being proactive, and choosing what is best for us from a well informed state of mind and listening to our hearts!
      ~Flow.
      Share the chocolate and no one has to thumb wrestle for it.
      Besides, chasing you down isn't an option, my bubble wrap suit isn't built for speed.

Comment

You have made a great decision. Take charge of your health. The MD's are as confused as anyone. But you need to be in charge of your health care. And it starts with what you put in your body. I wish you much luck.

Comment

Good for you!

The OP''s have provided you w/some great resources and ideas. Although the food plans vary, the heart of all of them is cutting out processed foods and eating a predominantly plant based diet. Yes, it can be confusing with some being GF, meat or no meat, etc...but it sounds like perhaps you already have a slight preference. Go with it and learn what you can about it.

Best of luck to you, we are rootin' for you!

GWTF, love what you said,
          here is to living fully despite challenges, being proactive, and choosing what is best for us from a well informed state of mind and listening to our hearts!
          Your words are an inspiring and help us all keep on track.
          Meet me in a land of hope and dreams. -Bruce Springsteen

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement! I've read through posts so many times, I think I just need to sit down now and try ans write out what makes sense to me. It all gets so overwhelming and confusing though! Hoping a physical list will help
            Thanks again

Comment

melwah,
              I know it is confusing. I live there all the time. But I did put my foot down and decided that my physical conditioning needed to be changed.
              I am easily 20 pounds overweight. So I am going to address that with diet and exercise. Plant based diet according to the 'Forks over knives' book and DVD. Watch the DVD and see if you believe any of what you see. There are so many good, reliable sources for diet as treatment option. You need to do the research and learn for yourself. Good luck

Comment

Melwah,

Keep in mind the better raw materials your body is given the better it will perform.
                Obviously I'm talking about food.

I encourage your idea about listing foods on your frig you can eat...thats what you'll stick with and in a few months it will become habit.

As far as medications go; its out of my scope of practice to discuss and manage medications. However, I help people reduce their medications all the time.
                When the body is metabolizing better it needs less medication.

Plus since my immediate focus with patients is improving digestion and absorption...this translates as well to absorbing more of the medication taken....ultimately you will need less!

Good Luck to you.
                You can do it!
                NutritionTara
                Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Working...
                X