Should I Take a Flu Shot with Avonex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I Take a Flu Shot with Avonex?

HI ALL, I HAVE BEEN ON AVONEX FOR A LITTLE OVER A YEAR AND HAVE THE OVER NIGHT FLU AND NEXT DAY HANGOVER.SOME WEEKS BETTER SOME WEEKS NOT SO MUCH. THE WATER THING WITH IBUPROFEN IS THE KEY FOR ME, WHEN I REMEMBER;HAHAHA. SWEET! BUT WAS WONDERING IF YOU ALL TAKE THE FLU SHOT EVERY YEAR? I'M 57 AND HAVE ONLY TAKEN IT ONCE AND I DID (LUCKY ME) GET THE FLU TWO DAYS LATER. BUT IS WAS A LONG TIME AGO AND SINCE I HAVE ONLY BEEN DIAGNOSED FOR ABOUT 18 MONTHS MAYBE THAT WAS A FLARE??? WHO KNOWS. ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED.

HANG IN THERE EVERYONE. DON'T LOOK AT IT AS FALLING DOWN, LOOK AT IT AS HIM REMINDING YOU TO GET ON YOUR KNEES OCCASIONALLY...

I just started Avonex in May, saw my neuro a couple months ago & asked about the flu shot. He said absolutely, I could get it.
    Diagnosed: May 2012
    Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
    Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes!

Oh by the way did I say yes?
      Just don't get it on the day you do your shot.
      Flu lasts much longer than the shot symptoms and you certainly don't want that.
      At 57 don't don't get the live virus that is shot up the nose but the killed one in the shot. No way you can get the flu from it (unless you are already infected and coming down with it anyway)
      Not possible
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

Yep

I always get the vaccine too.

Comment

I don't work and stay away from sick people so no I don't get the flu shot. I also don't fly in the winter as planes are great places to catch most things.

I am not on Avonex anymore, but all the years I was I figured interferons are antivirals much more potent that the flu shot so no flu shot needed for me and I never got the flu despite the fact that for half the shots I went to a clinic to get the shot sitting with people with the flu in the waiting room all winter long and I still did not get the flu, but who knows it is a choice.

I would take it if I worked as people tend to go to work sick.

Comment

I got my flu shot on the same day I took Avonex last week. No biggie.

Comment

I'm not so sure about the flu shot myself. My theraputics nurse said it was fine. Although last year I went to the doctors and got a flu shot, before I knew I had MS. Anyways, the day after the shot I had double vision. According to my Nero that was my second MS event, and I was diagnosed with MS. So I am a little concerned it triggered my second flare.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Comment

Love the name CND Girl!!!!!!!!
                When I was diagnosed in 1994 at 21, I was told not to have ANY vaccinations as that was the current thinking at the time.
                This changed in the 2000's, and since then, I have had a shot each year with no problems. That is not to say that others have no problems. Anything that stimulates the immune system can exacerbate symptoms including flu.
                I think that current thinking is that the temperature rise in Flu can make a PWMS so ill and aggravate old lesions, so therefore, the shots side effects for some may be the lesser of two evils.
                I would speak to your Neuro, let them know what you experienced and together, weigh up the pros and cons
                Take Care
                love Rach x

Comment

I have had flu shots intermittently since diagnosis, including this year because I have a newborn, with no significant adverse effects.

I say "adverse" ... there is a little bruise on my left arm following my shot last Monday (a week ago), but an Avonex shot isn't scheduled to go into that arm until November 16, so the bruising should be inconsequential.

Comment

FLU SHOT

I HAVE GOTTEN A FLU SHOT EVERY YEAR AND I, TOO, WAS CONCERNED AFTER MY DX, IF I COULD STILL GET THE SHOT. I AM ON AVONEX,( JUST SWITCHED TO THE PEN AND LOVE IT, BTW.....) MY PCP AND NEURO BOTH TOLD ME TO GET THE FLU SHOT. I AM 55 AND WAS DX'D 2 YEARS AGO......

Comment

I am dx'd with PPMS about 4 years ago. I am 53 yo and have gotten the flu shot for the last 10 flu seasons. I had 2 vaccinations, last week. I had the flu shot and a pneumonia shot, in the same sitting. I have had no problems.

Comment

I always try to make sure I inject in an area that has little fat. If I tense my muscle & it's hard right on top then I know it's muscle & the needle will reach it. Then I relax the muscle & give myself the injection. If it feels too "cushy" when I tense it, I pick a different spot.
                        Headaches

Comment

Flu Shot

My neuro says take the flu shot....dx'd 6-2-08. Had got it free at work for 12 years (even before I knew I had MS) and have never had a reaction....I'm 66!

Comment

Please note

Don't take a flu shot the same day as you take your Avonex injection. The side effects of the shot (like fever) could worsen the relapse. Otherwise, there's no restriction in taking a flu shot.

Wellwisher,
                            Andrea.G.Wolford
                            StandingforMSers
                            Andrea.G.Wolford

Comment

Flu Shot

I had my MRI and visit with Dr. last Wednesday. He guaranteed me that if I did not get the FLU shot, I mould be hospitalized from it. I usually don't get one, but I have been doing so well since Spet. 2011 my DX that I did go. Many friends have had the FLU here in Ill. and I feel blessed to be so healthy. I have been getting Vegan as best I can and seem to be feeling much better.
                              I'm on the Pen switched last month, and no problems, drink alot of water and take ibrupropen the day of injection.
                              Best to you

Comment

Working...
                              X