astaxanthin and fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

astaxanthin and fatigue

i posted awhile back feeling frustrated that i had such low endurance so i have been taking 20 mgs of astaxanthin (antioxidant), 2 capsules of cordyceps, and a vitamin D tablet (unknown dosage--double blind clinical trial) daily and this combination seems to be making a noticeable difference in my fatigue and cognitive abilities.

i haven't wanted to attribute the change to anything because sometimes its hard to tell with symptoms that fluctuate so much but this seems to be helping. still thinking about adding some spirulina, magnesium, ALA and acetyl L carnitine but i don't want to get carried away with the supplements.

just wanted to put it out there that it is helpful to me in case others were interested in trying it.
    dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Thanks for the info, Meegun. Learning what works and doesn't work for others is what is great about this board.

Those are two "A" words I am not familiar with!

I do know there are more recent studies, beginning in the early 2000's cautioning about taking antioxidant and multivitamin supplements. I remember when it made the news. Dr. Jelenik also expresses concern. The high doses of Vit E especially seem to be suspect. Something to consider, and make your head spin!

I too am interested in taking ALA and ALC, still doing my homework.

Glad you are feeling better.
    Meet me in a land of hope and dreams. -Bruce Springsteen

Comment

sewhappy,

could you be more specific about the warnings? are you saying to use caution with high doses of antioxidant and vitamin supplements or that the two should not be taken together? the normal does for astaxanthin is 12mg, so the dose i am taking is not all that high.

Comment

Meeegun,

There are some prominent institutions who have done studies on this listed here:
        http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...r-Supplements/

It seems that it is primarily the Vit A & E that are suspect.

Personally, I take Vit D & B12. As I said, I'm interested in the ALA and ALC as I too am always on the lookout for something to help combat the fatigue.

Hope I haven't confused you more but just wanted to share the info.

Comment

Meeegun,

I've seen all good things about astaxanthin on the internet! Do you still feel like it is making a difference for you?

Comment

yes, i do think it has made a difference. i ran out a couple of weeks ago and since then i had one major fatigue day and last week i was sick with a cold.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you will be replenishing your supply.

Comment

Working...
              X