GF/DF/SF ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GF/DF/SF ?

Those of you who eat GF/DF/SF how do you have a social life & follow this lifestyle?

This is where I am really struggling. We go out about once a week, I can usually do OK at the restaurant but ... the weekly friends gathering is another story! It is a potluck so am I going to have to make a meal to take for myself in addition to the contribution to the group (DH is not following this lifestyle change)?

When I decided to make this change DH said he was not willing to make any changes with me. When I expressed concerns about meal preparation he told me I could just make up several dishes to be frozen in single serving size for me, then when meal time came I could select from the freezer and just make whatever for him.

I'm getting discouraged ...
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

I know exactly where you are coming from. My wife will not curb or adjust her diet nor will she ever try fish or seafood. I just ignore what she thinks is good diet and take care of myself.
    If you deal with this DF/GF/SF diet by concentrating on veggies and fruits, you can do a variety of dips, soups and salads. For the 'pot-luck', you could make a taco salad or bean dip. You could make Gazpacho soup. You could make a mixed veggie tray with yogurt based dip or hummus dip. It is very difficult to go GF but not so difficult to go DF and SF. Good luck

Comment

Hang in there!

Yes, it can be difficult at times, especially when you are head cook, but don't give up!

As far as gatherings w/friends, Jerry is right, dips such as hummus make a wonderful addition to a potluck.

I see that you are in TX but here w/the cooler weather, I am really getting into making soups. Again, great option for a pitch in! Or how about bringing a substantial salad for all that could be your main course? There are a multitude of GF/DF cookbooks at the library now...check 'em out!

I was kind of quiet about my diet (with friends and collegues) at the beginning because I didn't want anyone to feel they had to accomodate me but interestingly enough, many people are intrigued by what I am doing and want to help. Family is another matter! They don't want things to change. I guess things are not too bad here because even though the men in my house are real carnivores, they will eat a veggie stir fry once a week and not complain..too much!
      Meet me in a land of hope and dreams. -Bruce Springsteen

Comment

GF/DF/SF

I have been GF/DF for over 5 years now due to Celiacs. At first it was extremely hard. I guess I am lucky because my DH has been very supportive. When we cook dinner it is to my needs. I do have to be careful of cross contamination though. Going out is more difficult but we don't do it very often. Restaurant these days have more food to accommodate diet restrictions.If the restaurant has a website I will look at their menu. Places like IHOP are not as good to go to, but if you go to place like Outback the are good about diet restrictions. I do not do fast food anymore, that is just to ify. I have learned over the years how to make just about all that we eat to suite me, even desserts. I was hoping it would help my ms but so far no luck. It is tough but hang in there is does get easier.

Comment

Working...
        X