Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Waiting and wondering Game

Hello all.
    My name is Cathy. I am 46 years old, married 29 yrs, mom to 4 wonderful grown 'babies' lol 3 boys-29,26 and 23 & 1 girl who is 18) and I am Grammy to 3 sweeties ages 10, 4 and almost 2. They are all my

I am currently undergoing testing with my Neuro and recently had repeat MRI's of my brain and c-spine, as well as the auditory canal, all w and w/o.

Those results were:

The c-spine showed:
    C5 and C6-The intervertebral disk space is narrowed and degenerative endplate changes are present. A shallow disc osteophyte complex causes mild cord impingement. Mild to moderate narrowing or the right neural foramen. the left foramen appears patent.

C6 and C7-C5 and C6-The intervertebral disk space is narrowed and degenerative endplate changes are present. There is a shallow disc osteophyte complex which may cause minimal cord impingement. The neural foramen appear patent.

Results:
    This examination is limited by patent motion despite multiple attempts at scanning. (Due to my tremors I guess)
    No definite cord signal is appreciated. Following administration on IV contrast, no definite mass or enhancing lesion is seen. The cervical vertebrae are normally aligned. The lower cervical lordosis is reversed. There is no spinal stenosis. The intervertebral disks are desiccated.
    No change when compared to 10/26/10.

Brain MRI:

Several small foci of hyperintense T2 signal are scattered in the supratentorial white matter.
    No edema or mass effect.
    No mass is seen in the internal auditory canals, cerebellopontine angles, or brain parenchyma. The cisternal, intracanalicular, and labyrinthine segments of the 7th/8th cranial nerve complexes appear normal in caliber and do not enhance with contrast. The inner ear structures appear unremarkable.
    There is no restricted diffusion to suggest recent infarct.

Impression:

1.Several small nonspecific white matter lesions, which could be related to early chronic small vessel ischemic disease, migraine headaches, or demyelinating disease/multiple sclerosis.
    2. No enhancing lesion is seen.
    3.No evidence of acoustic or vestibular neuroma.
    ~~~~

When my neuro went over all this with me he said we can rule out the migraines, because I don't have them-and we can rule out the ischemic disease because I show no signs of ever having any strokes and even recently went though testing with a hematologist to make sure I had no clotting disorders.

I have Lupus and Fibro as well as Osteoarthritis and was also told I have CFS/ME-which I am now wondering if maybe its not that but more like MS-which is what my neuro is testing for. I go back to him in a cpl weeks for EMGs of my hands/arms and neck to rule out any probs there causing many of my symptoms.

The symptoms and issues I have are:
    Weakness
    Numbness and tingling all over
    Buzzing sensation in left groin.
    Dizziness and light-headedness-also very off balance which is why he checked the inner ear and all.

Been loosing my balance a lot lately-walked into a wall the other night and yesterday knocked a set of folding trays over because I lost my balance and grabbed for it.

Intention Tremor

Hot and cold sensations that happen anywhere at any time. Some feel like cold water running inside me.

Left side of face keeps going numb and my taste is very off-now have metallic taste in mouth and nothing tastes right at all.

Facial pain-stabbing sharp pains out of the blue that can be quick or last longer.

Electrical shock-like sensation down my arms and sometimes legs, when I yawn, take a deep breath and with neck movement.

Vision/eye probs-double/blurry vision, corneal erosion syndrome, eye pain. Balls of flashing lights when I move my head or sometimes when I just close them or do nothing.

Problems swallowing-sometimes its like I can't even swallow my meds. Sometimes I start to choke on food-can't swallow it.

Mixing words together-making up words, it seems. Tripping over my tongue-trouble forming thought into what I want to say.

Can't stand the heat anymore-past cpl years like this now-never before.

Insomnia really REALLY bad.

Hands cramp up and stiffen like say i try to open something or am holding a book to read-my hand then hurts so bad and fingers look and feel all cramped up.

Total exhaustion-no energy.
    forgetfulness
    can't find the words I am looking for.
    I have GERD as well.
    I am also have VERY low vit d levels. It was 6.6 a few mnths back.
    Vit B-12 was also SO low that for almost all last year I had to give myself shots of B-12!

Very stiff esp legs/feet/ankles.
    Pain everywhere.
    Sometimes walking too much makes my legs feel heavy and I have to force myself to take each step.
    Bladder and bowel probs :/
    anxiety
    depression-well who wouldn't be. lol

and there is just so much I can't even think of it all to type it here. I know some of these things are related to my other health issues-but some are now worse and some are new and some I was told are NOT related to my Lupus/Fibro/etc.

I have also had SVT and continue to have palpitations despite having had an ablation 6 yrs ago. I have high blood pressure but no other heart issues other than these.

My Lupus has been in remission for a long time now-blood results have been great for many years..so docs don't think its the Lupus at all and neuro said many of these things I am dealing with wouln't be the fibro or CFS either.
    Oh and also have hypothyroidism now too.

Its all just a mess and I have come to the place where I am like 'look, if I have this (MS) than I have it and will just have to deal with what I can and let God handle the big stuff for me.'
    I just would like to know for certain so I can get proper treatment and hope to stop the progression as much as we can.

Any input or insight is most welcome. I pray you all have good days and nights!
    Thanks for reading
    Limbo Lander w/lesions on brain and NOW neurosurgeon found on my c-spine as well-as of July 2015. Being sent to MS Center-Aug 26th. Have Lhermitte's too & many MS symptoms/issues for about 8-10 yrs.
    Have: Lupus, Fibro, Sjogrens, SVT, IBS, Tinnitus etc...etc...etc...
    Heb. 11:1

It sounds like you have been through a lot. One thing you might want to ask them to check for is to check your calcium level.

Your low vitamin D level, combined with stiff legs, overall pain, eye problems etc. can occasionally be caused by something called hyperparathyroidism. It can be checked for by first just checking the calcium level. People with this disease also have insomnia horribly.

It mimics MS, sometimes has lesions due to calcium deposits, but then so does lupus.

However, you may still have MS according to your MRI. Since the radiologist mentioned it in his impression, it leads you to believe that the lesions actually looked like MS lesions, not nonspecific areas. Your neurologist will decide.

I suspect you will need a spinal tap at least or a VEP to confirm the diagnosis if they are nonspecific.

Let us know how it goes. Whatever happens, I hope you feel better. Your spine sounds painful, but at least shows no lesions for now.

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Thank you, Lisa.
      Yes its a lot it seems. Almost never ending.

I started to type about thyroid up there but don't remember finishing it or what happened to it! lol Any way, a few mths back my primary doc told me I have hypoparathyroidism-so its not hyperparathyroidism, but the opposite. I take levothyroxine now for that.

I routinely have many blood tests done due to having Lupus and everything else I deal with and calcium levels are always done and its never been abnormal results.

My spine/neck can be very painful for sure. Neck is always stiff and hurting.
      I asked neuro about any of my sensory probs being because of the neck issues and he said yes, maybe some but others no, they wouldn't be caused by those areas and types of spine issues.

Thanks for reading and answering.
      Limbo Lander w/lesions on brain and NOW neurosurgeon found on my c-spine as well-as of July 2015. Being sent to MS Center-Aug 26th. Have Lhermitte's too & many MS symptoms/issues for about 8-10 yrs.

Comment

G'ma here also

You have a lot of symptoms, like myself. Sometimes it's all too much to list them I have similar problems as yours.

One thing I do is to try to sort them out. There are so many diseases which have similar symptomology. Thyroid is a possibility (i have Hashimoto's Disease -low thyroid). The symptoms are similar.

Sounds like your lesions are not active as usually they will show up with the application of enhancement. It's actually good news that your lesions seem to be stable.

Your issues in your spinal cord could be due to your Arthritis and general aging. I have many friends who have spinal issues but do not have MS.

I in fact have some disk deterioration, which my doc says is not MS related.

If you are experiencing numbness it could be due to disk problems if there is pressure on a nerve.

With regard to fatigue, I sure can relate. I have constant fatigue myself! Got up today at 1:00 p.m., still felt tired. This fatigue seems to be from my MS, but any auto immune disease can cause fatigue.

I have acid reflux and chronic bronchial asthma also. Like you this onset of all these problems gets overwhelming!

Wish I could suggest something positive, but at least you know you are not alone. I'm 67 by the way, and also have 2 wonderful grandchildren. Betting you feel like me with regard to them....wishing I had a lot more mobility and energy so they wouldn't see me as their 'broken-down' G'ma.

Hang in there...

Diane
        You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Hi Diane,
          Yes, I have attempted at sorting them all out for years too. lol I have been DXd with Lupus and Fibro for many years now-as well as many of the 'tag-along' Lupus diseases/syndromes, like Raynauds and Sjogrens.
          Its never easy to figure out what symptom or problem is from which disease at any given time. Though the usual suspects get easier to figure out over time. lol
          My rheumatologist is the one who told me to get back to my neuro asap because of the current neuro-type symptoms and probs I have been having. She said my Lupus is quiet still and not flaring up, so she is pretty sure its not from anything along that line...esp since many of my current issues wouldn't be from my lupus or fibro.
          I am lucky in that my group of docs I have 'collected' over these years all work as a team on my Lupus, etc...and stay informed with each other as far as all my medical stuff goes. The are always sending each other reports and results, or calling each other so everyone is in the loop.
          I have the low thyroid as well and take levothyroxine for that.
          I do know the spinal stuff isn't MS related, I was just posting the results of the MRIs. My neuro doesn't believe the facial numbness on the left side that comes and goes is from any of the spinal issues-he said its the wrong areas to be affecting me this way.
          Time and the usual more testing will tell I guess.

And yes, it breaks my heart when I can't get down and play with my grand babies as much as I use to. :/ I am going up by their place for a few days this week to spend some time with them-they always bring hugs, smiles and laughter and that's the best medicine of all! <3

Take care and I pray you have better days ahead!
          Cathy

Comment

Working...
          X