No announcement yet.

Any other professionals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOT TELLING IS YOUR CHOICE BUT LIKE ME I HAD TO TELL BECAUSE MINE IS VISIBLE AND COULD AFFECT THE LIVES AROUND ME. STRESS MAKES A DIFFERENCE IN MS PROGRESSION IN SOME.

Comment

So, I'm in the exact same situation, well maybe a little different. I'm a 4th year veterinary student about to apply to anatomic pathology residencies.

I wasn't planning on disclosing my MS before my recent situation came about. Everyone throughout my vet school career has been super supportive and my MS has never been an issue so I kind of stopped thinking it would be. Though within the last year my MS got worse and I had to switch medications to Rituxan, so now on top of my MS I'm immunosuppressed. I'm doing extremely well on the medication, but since I'm applying to pathology rotations, the issue whether I need to disclose that I'm immunosuppressed came about and whether or not a residency will even agree to take me no having any circulating B cells.

I was told by a couple pathologists that no residency would take me being immunosuppressed, which made me really depressed and I started looking into other areas that might interest me, and none really got me as excited as pathology. So, recently I've decided to disregard what those pathologists said and go for it anyway....But then I thought, if I don't disclose in my application/interview will they freak out once I start and say that I can't do any necropsies when I start the residency?

I point blank asked a residency that I wasn't too interested in and they said that they would want to know so they could prepare and so they didn't feel "sandbagged". He thinks they might be liable if I get a zoonotic disease like Herpes B or rabies and die, though they take that risk with every resident.

I also asked a residency I was interested in, one where I just finished a 4 week rotation, so I got to know them pretty well, and they were super supportive. They even have a pathologist on staff with MS and she said that I don't need to tell the residencies I'm applying to and I shouldn't let my immunosuppression or my MS stand in my way, that's what PPE is for

So, I guess the short answer is no. You'll need to disclose to the hospital health office, but they just assess risk, find out how they can accommodate you, and advise on the PPE you need to wear. They don't say you can't do anything.

I don't think you need to disclose to the interviewers, unless you are visible. I don't know how it is in human med, but everyone I've come in contact that has found out about my MS, through me telling them or seeing me when I had to use a cane, thinks that I am brave and amazing for not letting it come between me and my dreams. I don't plan on proving them wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by workinmammaof2 View Post
        I see a ton of posts from nurses. Are there any other healthcare professionals visiting this site?
        I am a veterinary technician. I have never heard of another one with MS,but surely they're out there.

Comment

Originally posted by critterlady View Post
          I am a veterinary technician. I have never heard of another one with MS,but surely they're out there.
          I bet there are! I was in the vet tech program when I was diagnosed. I switched to nursing because the degrees were almost identical but I figured nursing would be more flexible and it paid a lot more.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

LPN on disability

Currently I'm on disability but hope soon to go back to work. How many hours a week can I work without losing my disability and medicare. I'm not sure if I ready but want to give it a try. If you don't work for a few years you can lose your license. Any suggestions about working? I love nursing but don't want to lose my license for future employment.

Comment

I actually wish I could change my login name, but yes, I am a "family doctor". I still work - it is mainly sedentary, just half a stride to the examination couch. I love the job, but I am beginning to think it is time to give up .....Why? Because I find myself just starting to think when I see someone with a relatively minor problem (though not to them) -"if you just knew what I have to put up with....". If someone spends 10 minutes telling me the various stabbing pains their urinary infection is giving them, and could they have a few days off work- it is hard not to think-actually, I self cath twice a day, spend half my days with a UTI but still come to work! But then- what would I do if I give up? I CAN still work, I can not play sport or the piano I used to play. Can not go for long walks.....so I persist and listen to people telling me their problems! It is difficult to know what to do......but more and more I think I will lose my empathy- especially with people wanting days off!

Comment

Originally posted by annedocuk View Post
                I actually wish I could change my login name, but yes, I am a "family doctor". I still work - it is mainly sedentary, just half a stride to the examination couch. I love the job, but I am beginning to think it is time to give up .....Why? Because I find myself just starting to think when I see someone with a relatively minor problem (though not to them) -"if you just knew what I have to put up with....". If someone spends 10 minutes telling me the various stabbing pains their urinary infection is giving them, and could they have a few days off work- it is hard not to think-actually, I self cath twice a day, spend half my days with a UTI but still come to work! But then- what would I do if I give up? I CAN still work, I can not play sport or the piano I used to play. Can not go for long walks.....so I persist and listen to people telling me their problems! It is difficult to know what to do......but more and more I think I will lose my empathy- especially with people wanting days off!
                Your post resonated with me also. I come from pretty stoic stock so my empathy level likely wasn't honed as part of my childhood socialization, lol.

That said I work with an acute population in my specialty and I know part of the reason I love this area is that I don't have the patience for major complaints about what I might consider minor problems. My patients are extremely ill so feeling true empathy for them isn't difficult.

I plan to keep working for as long as I am physically/mentally capable and still enjoy my job more days than not. Hang in there!
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

Originally Posted by annedocuk View Post

I too work in settings as nurse. Short walks ample time sitting. Not acute. I teach in the lab of a LPN school and substitute nurse in local school system. So........... LPN school whines, I have the thought often, been there done that, pull your boot straps up and lets go forward. Welcome to the world of healthcare. But, I put it in a more gentle form.

Subbing at the local schools.............. Can I go home I have a hang nail? Maybe not quite that extreme, but close. And, not all.

You will know when it is time to quit. When I quit full-time, I did not work for almost two years. Full time disabled now and just dabble in it to keep me talking to professional people along with the rants of college students and school age students.
                  God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I am a P.A. Sucks!

Comment

I'm a CNA, now working as a mental health worker. I took a semester off from school in 2010 to get my CNA as I thought I would love to be a nurse.

And I would love to be a nurse! But I'm terrible with science and have a very hard time passing classes with my attention issues and I also have sensory processing disorder, which unfortunately makes smells extremely difficult for me to deal with. I still have a hard time with it on the psych unit at times.

I'm interested in social work but I'm also worried about pay and stress levels. Since MS came into the picture, I've had to reevaluate my priorities and making "enough" to be able to do all I want to do(mainly travel) while I still can, is a big priority for me. But I love the medical world and am still interested in doing something in it. Not sure what. I'm almost done with my BA in psychology but have toyed with pursuing respiratory therapy or something of the like. Not sure yet.

Comment

I am a Pharmacist. I am in limbo, but my ordeal started near the end of my first year in pharmacy school. I still managed to graduate at the top of my class. I am having a hard time finding a job. I did not do an internship in school primarily because I was focusing on school and and my issues. It seemed like I was studying or doing physical therapy for a good two years. The market is pretty saturated and each passing month of unemployment makes it more and more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by steve19 View Post
                          I am a Pharmacist. I am in limbo, but my ordeal started near the end of my first year in pharmacy school. I still managed to graduate at the top of my class. I am having a hard time finding a job. I did not do an internship in school primarily because I was focusing on school and and my issues. It seemed like I was studying or doing physical therapy for a good two years. The market is pretty saturated and each passing month of unemployment makes it more and more difficult.
                          My experience with health care, especially the upper rungs is much of the opportunities are word of mouth. As corny as it sounds its all about networking. Do you have any contacts in the field you can drop a line to and ask if they know of any openings? Good luck.
                          Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by steve19 View Post
                            I still managed to graduate at the top of my class. ... The market is pretty saturated and each passing month of unemployment makes it more and more difficult.
                            If you graduated at the top of your class, that's exploitable, so it could pay to take another look at your resume and how you're marketing yourself. Even in a saturated field, there are many pharmacy jobs open across the country, so being willing to relocate also increases your chances of finding a job. Best of luck in your search.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                              My experience with health care, especially the upper rungs is much of the opportunities are word of mouth. As corny as it sounds its all about networking. Do you have any contacts in the field you can drop a line to and ask if they know of any openings? Good luck.
                              I had a couple leads recently that ended up leading to nothing. One of my connections made a phone call to a hiring manager near me, he told me to go on and apply and he will pull my app and get me a job. I did it right away and never heard from him. I went to school in PA and live, and am licensed, in Ohio. Most of the connections I personally made are in PA. I would get licensed in PA, and plan to eventually, but the lack of an internship during school prohibits it until I have a year of working experience under my belt in Ohio (different state laws). I apply to jobs daily, and never hear a thing. Or I'll get a phone call about bringing me in for an interview soon, but then never hear back. It is beyond frustrating. I spent 11 years in school, earned three degrees, finished top of my class in pharmacy school and can't find a job. I know it's the lack of an internship that hurts me the most. It did not used to be a problem, but the market is highly competitive right now. I need to start looking into opening my own pharmacy.

Comment

Hi steve:

Have you looked into applying for a job with the Veteran's Administration? Because the VA facilities are federal, you don't need to be licensed in the state you'll be working in. Your Ohio license is sufficient. The VA website has information about pharmacy careers with them.
                                http://www.vacareers.va.gov/careers/...ists/index.asp

Comment

Working...
                                X