Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex Pen/Length of needle on larger person

Hi there,

I've been using the Avonex pen for the past 2 weeks and I love it.

My question is - If someone is a larger person, should they use the pen? Is the needle long enough to reach the muscle in the thigh? I can't find any documentation on this, so I thought I would ask for your personal experiences.

Thanks so much

I'm on the larger side but nobody seemed concerned, including my Dr. With that said, even larger people have fairly large thigh muscles. If I sit on the edge of my chair, the fat tends to fall downwards from gravity. If you tense your muscle, you'll feel the hard muscle with very little fat on top.

If you sit with your thigh flat against the bottom of the chair, that may be another story, and you'll be more likely to miss the muscle. I'm also careful about the sides of the thigh because some areas "meatier" than others. My general rule is, if I'm not sure, I tense the muscle & feel it to make sure the muscle is right there. Just be sure to relax it before injecting. I haven't had any problems so far.
    Diagnosed: May 2012
    Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
    Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

I think that's why it's so hard to press - it makes sure that it gets into muscle. I agree, it seems very short, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
        I think that's why it's so hard to press - it makes sure that it gets into muscle. I agree, it seems very short, doesn't it?
        It does - I think I might go back to the syringe. Since I started on the pen, my side effects from the Avonex have been minimal. Much different than before. I am going to go back to the syringe and see if it is any different. I want to make sure it is working

Comment

BigA - do you have the same level of side effects with the pen as you did with the syringe?

Comment

I answered in the other post, but they do seem lighter as well. I wondered if was getting the full effect and still wonder to some extent.

It may be distributed into the muscle differently since it blasts the interferon into the muscle in less than a second, whereas I used to do it over 10 seconds.

It's certainly a topic I'd like to see discussed. Biogen will see it over time if there truly is a difference, but it would take a while and who knows whether they would report it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Westgrl View Post
              My general rule is, if I'm not sure, I tense the muscle & feel it to make sure the muscle is right there. Just be sure to relax it before injecting. I haven't had any problems so far.
              Great advice! Thank you

Comment

My dr gives her patients a smaller gauge needle with the pre-filled syringes...I thought they were small and they are actually still larger than the pen needles.

I really questioned because the side effects from my shot were hardly noticeable with the pens.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenmore View Post

I really questioned because the side effects from my shot were hardly noticeable with the pens.
                  Also don't forget that you have also been on the medication just that much longer as well the side effects do diminish over time, pen or syringe. After I'd been on the pen for about 6 months, the pharmacy accidentally ordered the prefilled syringes instead. I used those for a month and I found the side effects I had were exactly the same as I'd had on the pen.
                  Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
                  UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Working...
                  X