What should you eat while on IVSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should you eat while on IVSM?

I'd like to have foods that will be helpful to my body during this time and won't increase my blood sugar very much. Any suggestions? What do you eat? Do you follow a special diet or not really - just eat whatever manages to taste good?

Hi lilly,
    I have been trying to type a post to you, but my 'fumbling fingers' keep messing up my post. I don't know about the steroids IV but I know that they are high dose and therefore very potent. And they have a tendency to make the body 'blow up'. I would suggest that you need to be very careful with your diet. Probably the safest foods to eat are veggies and fruits. Good luck

Comment

I pig out so much when I need IVSM that I actually have "steroid clothes" which are at least one size bigger than my regular clothes!

Fibre will help regulate your blood sugar by slowing down the rate at which it turns to sugar, I think it's called the glycemic index.

Also, any food that helps with the water retention associated with steroids is good. My memory of which food to eat fails me at the moment plus I haven't been on IVSM since 2009 but google "diuretic food" and you should find some.

Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I was going to suggest fruits and veggies, like Jerry did. I've sometimes stocked up, in the produce section of the grocery store, prior to steroids.

Unfortunately, steroids just make me gain weight, no matter what I do. But, I still don't believe that being on steroids gives me permission to pig out. Even when I diligently track calories, and I know that I'm not eating more, the steroids themselves add a bunch of pounds. Some people believe that they miraculously fall off when the steroids are ended, but that has not been my experience. My experience is that, when I'm on steroids, I gain weight. And, I have to lose those pounds just like any other pounds.

~ Faith
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you guys for answering me! This is my third day of IVSM, and Ive been most concerned about my blood sugar. My father has diabetes it runs in his family. My mother's mom also had diabetes - so I have it on both sides of my family. My glucose reading has already risen 37 points since Monday (im in the low 100s which still makes me uncomfortable). I hope that once I finish this course, my sugar will start heading down again. Soup, sigar free jam and veggies will be included as part of my meals today. Weight is doing ok *fingers crossed* it will stay that way.

Comment

This is my first of 3 days of IV Steroids. Doc wrote a prescription for Ambein, hope I sleep tonight. When I picked up the prescription I stocked up on fruits & veggie (and a bag of potato chips!). I'm making a potato soup with veggies for dinner, we will see if that's all I eat. Boy, I am starting to feel energic!
            I used to be in control of my body. Now the body is in control of me!
            DX RRMS 1997 SX 1995 or earlier
            Breast Cancer 2002 thought the chemo put me into remission. Boy was I wrong!
            DMD Avonex 5/11, Baclofen 60mg 10/2012, Tecfidera 6/19/13

Comment

Working...
            X