Cognitive Exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cognitive Exercise

I just want to encourage everyone to exercise their mind. MS can cause cognitive issues and the best way to battle the issues is through cognitive exercises.

Word Search, Scrabbble, doing simple math with the pencil and paper instead of a calculator, reading, even knitting or crochet where you have to count; all of this is great to keep your cognitive abilities working.

Memory is the main issue. I relate to the problem. Short term memory loss is very frustrating for me. I forget things people say to me, ideas, errands, meetings, appointments. Keeping a log or journal of different activities helps tremendously. (I take notes about many things in $1.00 mini notebook.)

It is scientifically proven that the more we use our brains, whatever it takes to recall, keeps our minds sharper.

And just for the record, your brain deletes 99% of the information you taken anyway, so don't fret.

nice tips

i find my memory fluctuates some days it's better than others. i didn't realise for a long time how many small things i was forgetting and that it might be related to these things until lately.

so here is what i did maybe it will help. i forget to put things away so i don't lose them and they can be cleaned and used later, for example. so where i use it the most often, eg where i drink coffee i usually forget the coffee cup there. so i have a sign up near where i have coffee that says PUT YOUR COFFEE CUP IN THE SINK

and i forget to drink water and know i'm supposed to do it at least at many times as i go bathroom. so I have a sign by the bathroom sink that says HAVE A GLASS OF WATER.

and things like that.....

it's working, the coffee area has no coffee cups and instead has an empty glass that i drank water out of. lol.
    ---------
    Wishing everyone luck and as many good days as possible.

Comment

correct CylasTros!

Yeah!! it is okay to play those 'mindless' solitaire games ..It is suggested to 'mix them up' try new things, use your less dominate hand.

I'm forever trying to remember to write things down because if I don't I WILL forget!

I also use the phone service's 'reminder messages'..I pre recorder the message (ex- don't forgot your appt today at 2 dummy) and schedule myself to be called with the message that morning...I even remind myself to go to Vons on Friday if there is an item I use on their Friday only sale...

lets keep our minds active
      Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Working...
      X