Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I start every conversation with a new dr with 'I'm complicated'...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I start every conversation with a new dr with 'I'm complicated'...

Simply because I am. There is a lot of medical history there. I've had a hysterectomy to fix my endo, a recent gall bladder removal to deal with spasms that went for 5 years without diagnosis, breasts that keep popping up cysts and other weird things...and then there's this.

I have fibro, so some of the typical things like fatigue can get written off as that. I've also had anterior uvitis more than once. I have chronic migraines and IBS. That all said, they've not been able to figure out why I have such severe nerve pain, trigeminal neuralgia, clonus and muscle spasms in my left leg, urge incontinence, odd smells that aren't really there...etc.

I started with symptoms in 2003. From there I've continued to have flares that pop up and then leave me with things that are new and don't go away each time. I've been MRI'd twice - the first time showed only one spot, the second time showed many small ones and one larger one - but they were all non-specific. The symptoms concerned enough that I went for a tap, and that was negative. That would have been in 2009ish. So, once the neuro said not MS, I was left to kind of wait it out and to douse the nerve pain with carbamazapine and gabapentin.

Well, fast forward till now and in this flare even my high doses of the drugs aren't working. My left leg is numb from about mid thigh down, though the lower you go on it the more numb it is. It's doing the old vibrating thing and back to the muscle cramps and it feels like it weighs a ton. It feels weak and unsteady so I'm back to the cane. This is the first time my left arm has felt this numb and weak too, which is a pain in the butt, since that's the one I use to operate my cane with. I'm having a harder time reading or understanding what people are saying to me (people can get snarky the fourth time you ask them to repeat themselves) and I have a hard time finding words. I've had problems for years with that and with replacing words with the wrong one, but this time it's dialed up like crazy. Plus my 'normal' fog from fibro and the meds is twice as bad.

So I went to see my dr's office. At the moment they have steady nurse practitioners and a rotating base of locum drs. I lucked out and found one that has done a lot of research on brain inflammation. He's asked me to talk to a few people with ms in my area and the ms society here to see who is the best ms dr in my province and then he'll refer me to him. Plus he recommended a really neat book. So overall I'm happy to be getting hopefully to a diagnosis. He feels that if it isn't an atypical ms, it's got to be something related.

I'd appreciate if anyone has some ideas on how to deal with the numb body parts to keep from falling or on any of the other areas. I ended up on a melt down today because of the forgetfulness/butchered communication skills. Even this typing this thing out has resulted in a million corrections. I'm in a hopeful, but weepy because I'm frustrated place.

Hope that you're all as well as you can be!

Oh Dear, you are a wee bit complicated and I really hope you get some answers soon. Do your symptoms act up when something, such as heat, or being tired, is happening? Try to find a cominality if possible.

I hope this doctor can help you, what book did he recommend? Also, which province are you in?

I wish I had some advice for you on how to deal with the weakness and falling, but only rest helps me to deal with these kinds of symptoms.

Good luck and pls let us know how you're making out.
    Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

sounds like we have something in common I am complicated too. I've had respiratory failure and icu polyneuropathy/myopathy. I have most of the symptoms you do but I had a tap twice and it came up with mirror pattern bands...so he was more ready to say you probably have it since 2 of my lesions were faintly seen in the juxtacortical area.I guess there is no explanation other than ms for those lesions

Comment

Thanks for the understanding.

I became completely heat intolerant about four years ago - around when the nerve pain started. Any amount of heat causes extreme fatigue and a sharp increase in my nerve pain. It also can cause me to walk a little goofy for a day or two. We installed air conditioning just for that reason alone, because I was too sick otherwise.

I know my eggs don't add up to chickens, which is why I can understand why the dr's are having such problems figuring this stuff out. Mostly when tests come back negative, that's a good thing - but negative tests often mean I don't get help. I don't want ms by any stretch, I was relieved when they took that off the table years back - but the alternative where I'm just slowly getting worse and nothing is being done is scarier. I'm still thinking it's a weird relative of MS.

I'm in BC - I did call my local MS chapter here and they said that really the MS clinic at UBC sounds like the best way to go. The book I've ordered is "Psychoneuroimmunology of Chronic Disease: Exploring the Links Between Inflammation Stress and Illness" by
        Kendall-Tackett. It looks really interesting and I have enough of a medical background that I should be able to follow along alright.

Nana, I hope that you do well and hope that they can give you some more concrete answers. Being weird medically can be either great (if someone takes interest in you and in figuring it out) or can get you shuffled to the side (in most cases).

Comment

Originally posted by FourPaws View Post
          Plus he recommended a really neat book.
          I don't have a diagnosis yet either. I would love to know the title of the book recommended to you. I am a real geek and love to read any and all non-fiction (right now I am in the middle of a book about how children's brains work).

By the way, mine's complicated too so don't feel bad. I get to tell new docs about my asthma, celiac and fibromyalgia as well as all the weird symptoms that are piled on top.

Comment

Working...
          X