GF/DF/SF diet ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GF/DF/SF diet ??

Day 2 of GF/DF/SF lifestyle change -- quick question for those who have been doing this much longer than I: what do you put on your baked potato if not a dairy product (butter, sour cream, cheese)?
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Good for you!!

Salsa is my answer to everything! I have been putting salsa on top my potatoes for some time now, even before changing my diet.

It can be as simple as salt, pepper and some herbs. A dollop of hommus on top is also wonderful. Even some spicy bean dip...yum. Just keep reading those labels.

There are also vegan cheese substitutes, although I have never tried any.

Best of luck to you on your new journey.
    Meet me in a land of hope and dreams. -Bruce Springsteen

Comment

Isn't it just the way it goes. You find a couple of good GF/DF things, and you struggle to find some complimentary items. I have read at least 3 MS diet plans and I have still to figure out a meal/ menu plan. But I plan to perservere. I hope you do, too.

Comment

I use a DF Ranch dressing on mine. Made by Organic Ville and it's yummy. Hope you can find it!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice to have a place on this site where that kind of info resides permanently. If there are products that fit the profile for GF/DF/SF and taste good, why can't people suggest them ? Everyone that visits the site will benefit.

Comment

There is a soy free, dairy free butter. It's really good.

Comment

Flaxseed oil with salt. It's close enough to butter to satisfy.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                I use a DF Ranch dressing on mine. Made by Organic Ville and it's yummy. Hope you can find it!
                Sorry to misguide you - this has soy milk in it!

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                  Sorry to misguide you - this has soy milk in it!
                  Seasha, I think it would still be OK for me. I'm not going to be as strict as Tara would recommend - for example I eat oatmeal for breakfast every week day & don't plan to stop, I'm not concerned about trace amounts of cross-contamination gluten plus I have quite a bit in my pantry!

I think I'm going to see if I can find some "dairy" products (butter, maybe sour cream & cheese) made from goat's milk b/c I understand by definition "dairy" refers to cow's milk products.
                  DX 10/2008
                  Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Hi toomny~ I agree on your definition of dairy free. That's what my nutritionist told me. So I eat goat products...mainly cheese and feta. I also eat soy products.

I used to be so strict, but after so many years, have eased up a little bit. I've even eaten an ice cream sandwich and it was delightful

Comment

Hmm. Certainly Soy Milk is non dairy by the strictest definition. But I wouldn't call goats milk dairy free.

Comes from the breast of a mammal = dairy = milk
                      Comes from a plant = non-dairy

Can there be any other definition? I don't think so. Some people believe goats milk is OK for people with MS, but it's still dairy.

Comment

You know, you're right BigA!!! And I stand corrected. Sorry about that - Whew - this is how misinformation here gets generated.

I am somewhat lactose intolerant, but can handle goat products better than cow...so nutritionist gave me the Ok on this...

Now back to toomnyhat's question on what to put on her baked potato!

Comment

Isn't the problem with dairy really the casein ? Does goat milk still qualify if it doesn't contain casein ? I am also lactose intolerant and I am now avoiding all milk products. But I know very little about goat and sheep and such.

Comment

According to the theory as to why milk is bad for MS, it's the butyrophilin. I'm not sure if this is in casein, but according to Dr. Jelinek, we should avoid all casein, which you can find in many "non-dairy" products such as soy cheese.

http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...esources/FAQs/

Comment

Highjacked my own thread!

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                              Isn't the problem with dairy really the casein ? Does goat milk still qualify if it doesn't contain casein ? I am also lactose intolerant and I am now avoiding all milk products. But I know very little about goat and sheep and such.
                              According to Dr Google goat milk has only trace amounts of the casein that some humans have an allergy to.

Dr Google also said that there is slightly less lactose in goat milk

I believe I have a mild lactose intolerance so I'll be anxious to see how DF affects me.
                              DX 10/2008
                              Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Working...
                              X