Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limbo Land indeed, looking to relate I guess

Hi everyone
    Hope this day fares you well and you're having the mildest of symptoms and drama, preferably none at all.
    I don't know what I ought to say here but I suppose I should be open so you know what I mean. I take it people here can relate to my experience even if it turns out I don't have MS. Actually at this point I don't know what it is. I hope I am not loading but I know I am and my current partner has been so good to me about all this but I don't want to bother him 24/7.

I have had battles with illness of various sorts for a long time, since I was young and about four years ago the shaking and migraines started in a more consistent but intermittent way (it was noticeable to me). Probably because of my age, gender, ethnicity and history of glandular fever the doctor at the time recommended I get tested for MS. But I was also under a lot of stress and figured it was anxiety, which is a battle I've been fighting since youth.

Also that stress involved a bad relationship and independently my now ex had said if I had a disability he would leave me. So instead I told no one, and I left him and didn't get tested and denied there was a problem and tried to get on with life.

Things were intermittent and again my life has been very stressful so I thought hmm okay it's this and that (back of head please don't let this be MS) and doctor appointments are generally short and generic so I didn't really get to raise the issue with my new doctor until recently, when I developed a new symptom I'd never heard of before that is also known as burning feet syndrome.

It's been going on for nearly two months now, and is better than before. At first I thought it was new shoes I'd worn, and it didn't go. Doc and I tried lots of things, especially B vitamins because I've been off the dairy for a year as one of the things I learned along the way is I have issues with casein and maybe my diet was off. So we tried that plus Vitamin D and it didn't fix it. Lots of blood tests, it's not common moulds, it's not heavy metal poisoning, no diabetes (how many times have I been tested for that and always I've been fine!) even my B12 levels were normal - and that was before supplementation!

About 12 pages of blood tests I have...in short no idea and then I said ok that's it you need to know this other doctor said this years ago and this is in the back of my head frightening the hell out me, I want to see a neurologist (which was the next step anyway). Because I have no money (being sick and the kinds of issues I have had have kept me out of work) I was referred to a hospital neurologist (i am very lucky because it's covered by medicare and the hospital is not far from my house).

I got lucky and didn't have to wait 3-6 months for an appointment and he tested my peripheral nerves with the pointy stick and the reflex hammer and all that jazz I reckon you'd know about. And apparently no peripheral nerve damage - but I am presenting with peripheral neuropathy. Uhm ok. And I am also young, only 30 and he, like my doc, said this is a symptom that usually happens in old people.

So he is going to MRI my brain and spinal cord in a couple of months. And to do that I took a little slip to the MRI people and it has a note on it that says what he's looking for, mine said "?Primary Demyleniation", which I looked up to be sure (I know about myelin already) and apparently that usually means MS but it can mean other things. And I know I shouldn't be doing my head in about all this but I just had to look things up as I am anxious about it all and by sheer coincidence, will and who the he** knows how I did it in hindsight, I happened to get a psych degree throughout all this (graduated a couple of years ago) and learn a bit about neuro, enough to hang myself emotionally it would seem but it's an interesting topic no matter what's going on here.

But what I've seen so far is maybe some people who have this peripheral neuropathy don't have MS and it does happen in SLE (lupus) with CNS involvement. That killed my aunty when she was 24 and I am **** scared (pardon my language). I know what lupus is (sort of) because of that, and she had similar problems to me, emotions, food, etc and then she died, although she was much more sick when she was a kid, in and out of hospital, and I wasn't (I had other problems). I am not old enough to remember my aunty but I remember my mum telling my former shrink about it when I was a teenager and [string of curse words] that's what I might have and now it's visible??

Am I going to die?? What do I do in the next few months before I get to have an MRI (there are long queues for these)? I know when it happens my neurologist will be able to know what it is and isn't and it seems that MS has particular patterns that lupus doesn't so if it's not one it might be the other or perhaps it is something else.
    The thing is no matter how much I have learned over the years I am not emotionally prepared for this. I would imagine that this limbo brings out similar emotions in other people but I'm not sure how to handle it.

What I want to do is that if I am dying or at risk of eventually not being able to walk (whenever that is) I want to live and do all the things I can do before I can no longer do it. I want to be positive and I want to find as much happiness as I can and know that my friends (who are the only support I have, my family and I are estranged) are doing well. I need them but I don't want to put pressure on them. I have lost people before and I didn't like finding out late in the story that it was going to happen, my urge was to be there for them and give them love for as long as possible no matter how limited that may have actually been.

So far I have been upfront with my fears to my partner and he is so nice he hugs me and said he would make me happy as much as he could. I am so grateful for that. I want to smile for him so he knows he makes me happy but my emotions are going up and down. Right now this limbo is confusing. I feel kind of surreal, like maybe this is all my imagination, a bad dream but it is real and I just don't want it to be. The other day I was accepting of the possibility, decided it didn't matter what the outcome was just how I deal with it. Today I am not so accepting.

I have anger and fear and sadness, and so much love for the people I love, maybe even more than before. I may not see the kids grow up (i am not a mother, these are my kids by proxy cos i adore them) and all the things I want to see. Facing the real possibility of death I finally feel like I want to live. It's so strange. But if this is it this is it, you know? Where is it all going? Maybe I don't have the same fate (?) as my aunty and I have a different fate (?) and will live to be old and maybe just have a few extra problems to live with. That would be nice. Well, not as bad as dying.

I noticed that some people turn to religion at these points and that doesn't work for me, if it works for you, I get it, we all need something at times like this. I don't fear oblivion, I just worry that I won't get to hug people or help anyone because I won't be around anymore. I have been thinking about reincarnation though. Sometimes I have believed that and it's an interesting thing for an atheist to consider but I don't have complete faith in it.

I feel that my perception in having past lives and the idea that I will be coming back in 70 years to witness teleportation (a dream I had before the feet thing started) is a sort of illusion that my mind makes up to tell me what I need to hear to feel better. If I do come back then I might just see some of those kids in their old age and that would be great but it's probably not going to happen.

My goodness I am really ranting here. But I feel better for saying all this. I hope at least if it doesn't lead to a reply that helps me it at least helps someone else not feel so alone and strange. I know with other things that hearing how others feel has helped me. If you've expressed yourself and I have witnessed that in the past thank you for doing so. Sorry if this has also brought up emotions in others that might not be so nice.
    Thanks for reading/listening
    unsureofanything

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **
    ---------
    Wishing everyone luck and as many good days as possible.

fellow limbo lander

Listen..there is no reason to stress over all this...nothing you can so now except wait. The more stressed you are, the worse you feel. MS and relates diagnoses seem to sort of still be taboo in my opinion. No one wants to give the diagnosis or really listen to the patients symptoms. I am 42 and have been a nurse 20 yrs. How frustrated do u think I get knowing what my body is doing/telling me and no one seems to be listening. I have been dealing with symptoms for 4 yrs..started after the birth of my daughter at 38 and has gotten progressively worse since my son was born 9months ago. My thinking has now become affected..stumbling over words..knowing what to say but can't get it out my mouth...in addition to the bowel/bladder issues, neuropathy/weakness in both arms, itching forearms. What a bloody mess..while working full time. I had small "periventricular lesions" on my MRI..indicating white matter disease/possible demyelinating process..but Neuro gave me a pain med and said bye bye. I said ALL that to say..all is not lost. Research your area and find a good neuro who specializes. I just recently found one and hoping to get appt soon.....take care...as u can see, its ok to rant/vent. We all need to at times.

Comment

Welcome to MSWorld, unsureofanything!! And thank you for expressing yourself so well. So many of your fears and anxieties have also been on the minds of many of us... newbies, limbo landers and veterans alike! Some of us take anti-depressants or anxiety meds and/or see therapists. And many of us simply take refuge here at MSWorld to find friendships, questions answered, and lots of great information.

I truly hope that you will come back and visit us often! Your concerns are ours as well. Now, take some deep breaths and know that all will be well
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

its hard not to stress over it,I have told this to myself time and time again. They are pretty sure I have it but I am still trying to look for a loop hole.

Comment

The way I view it is that whatever you have, you have. Not finding out what you have won't change what is going on in your body. So you're taking the right steps in finding out - because knowledge is power and if they can find it out, and it is an autoimmune condition of some sort (ms and lupus being those) they have drugs that they can treat you with. The sooner you figure it out, the sooner you can get help.

Best wishes and I hope that things go well for you.

Comment

you're all so very awesome

INTERNET HUGS!!! XXXXXXXX THANK YOU!!!

@moderator Sorry also for not using paragraphs before I'll keep that mind. uhm actually with the visual stuff should i be telling my doctor/neuro about the gold flashes? i had photosensitivity years ago when the migraines happened and i can now see how that could be related. but just before the foot thing started i had a weird seizure like gibberish event immediately preceded by diplopia and ever since i regularly see gold flashes. like gold foil appears randomly in both my eyes, usually one at a time, almost like a strobe. i did mention i had visual disturbances but i didn't say what and my neuro only asked me if i can see (so I said "of course i bloody can") and he didn't ask me what i meant so i didn't say??

@lgrant how frustrated do I think you are with that? Livid I'd imagine. It's hard enough you're experiencing the symptoms but being treated dismissively is really not very nice. Have the pain meds provided any relief? I'm currently on tramal and panadol osteo for the burning feet, that's supposed to be temporary but there's a long queue with the MRI so...hopefully the doc will give me something less addictive next visit. I find it curious that you have itching forearms. I doubt that we have the same reasons for it, but I suggest looking at patterns of when it happens, and keeping a diary like I've noticed some people on here do. Whilst quitting milk products has taken away my winter itchiness (thank goodness, although the tramal brought it back) I still have a rash, albeit not exactly the same as I used to get. The itch almost always began on my forearms, especially inside my elbows. Hope that helps, and that you get to see someone who takes evidence of demyleination a hell of a lot more seriously, or at least gives you a damn good reason why they think that course of action is best for you. Best of luck to you!

You're also quite correct about the stress thing. Today I am in better spirits and appear to be getting over the initial panic. I hope this lasts but I anticipate from what I understand about emotions concerning loss and how I experience it, something will get up my nose later and I'll probably yell at it. I'll try not to though. cheers mate.

before i forget i am not telling you to quit milk, that is a very big decision not to be taken lightly, probably has nothing to do with your experience (only mine) can have side effects and requires even more care given the other stuff going on. B12 deficiency can occur from not drinking your milk and that's one reason why my doc and i tried supplements, so unless you're absolutely sure don't do it - doc and i were very scientific to test my intolerance and that wasn't easy to do. of course you probably already know that and i'm just saying that for the punters who don't.

@nana1968 loopholes! yep! stress was a loophole for me, although i doubt it's unrelated. but i'm learning that parsimony only goes so far. best of luck to you!

@fourpaws that's sound advice, thank you. i am pleased to hear there are drugs that treat lupus as well. perhaps my fear of death from it is based on my aunty's experience rather than what current medicine can do. i sometimes forget how much has changed in that regard. thank you, that is very relieving to hear.

@seasha that is lovely of you to say. i am glad i am making sense. after so long of thinking this is all in my head, stress, ignoring it, and at the same time trying to explain (poorly) to the people around me that something is wrong, i don't understand it yet but i can see what might be going on due to my training etc (@lgrant I'd bet you know that feeling, in my experience, nurses don't get as much credit as their due, so here's some credit for that superhuman effort you're putting in) and i'm not making it up either, it is very good to know that somebody gets it and i'm not just talking gibberish. thank you. i plan to discuss my concerns with my friends this weekend and this has given me more confidence. cheers.

good day to you all if i can help in anyway on this forum i'll give it a go, i'm not sure what exactly but my motto is changing from Miss Fix It to Miss So What If It's Broken It's Still Useful. so giving it a go is good. xxxxx you all rock!
            ---------

Comment

i hope i wasn't rude

i hope i wasn't rude. sorry if i was
              ---------

Comment

unsureofanything welcome and remember NONE of us can be sure of anything, with or without MS or any other medical issues!

I had cancer surgery in 1982, my prognosis was 10% chance of surviving 12 months. At the time I had 3 little ones, the last born just 2 weeks before my surgery. This year I celebrated THIRTY YEARS of survival since then.

MS (& Lupus) are not a death sentence, in fact the odds are you will survive a long time. I am no in my 60s (or is that 90s, since when I was in my 30s they said, I might as well be in my 60...ha ha.)

unsureofanything you have found a fantastic place to research about MS, get first hand information and even more important SUPPORT. Feel free to ask questions and remember we ALL need to vent once in a while to let off the pressure in our cookers.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

congratulations and thanks

hello gomer

congratulations on your 30th anniversary without cancer! that's wonderful not just for you and your loved ones, which is fantastic on it's own, but also for lucky strangers like me who happened to have been having a really crappy day after going mental the night before in the context of some major heat sensitivity combined with despair and guilt/shame over how i acted.

your reply came to my inbox this evening after i'd been ruminating about how i have no idea where this is all going and my not so little outburst (i.e. screaming so loud that the whole neighbourhood heard that i have holes in my head and i hate the whole universe..including my saintly partner who has been nothing but good to me, while throwing the leftovers from the dinner he prepared across the room and being a complete *******) made me think that i can't trust myself, are these lesions (assuming i've read my mri correctly and for the most part i think i have) making it difficult for me to control my behavior, are people better off without me if thats how i'm going to act and so on. not everyone has the same symptoms and mine seem to effect my behavior, but i'm not sure how exactly...lesion for symptom basically.

or maybe i just fear that? loss of control and all that. grief is not something i'm good at dealing with, using caps lock also. reading your message reminded me that life tends to throw us lots of hard ones and people bounce back, i'm still here and so are you and that's great. i've bounced back before with other things and had forgotten. so thank you for reminding me. very timely and supportive. this forum is saving my sanity and today you were the angel on my shoulder.

i trust you've held a massive party to celebrate cancer sucks beyond words and beating that ******* is one hell of an achievement, especially with scary odds thrown at you like that. sounds like to me you're Sir Always Gets Back Up XD you rock massively! next time i have a drink i will toast to your health and anniversary!
                  ---------

Comment

Working...
                  X