X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BG-12

When is BG-12 scheduled to come out?

bg hopeful

I am getting close to doc appt in couple weeks. Would like to hear thoughts about BG 12......think my doc wants to put me on it when approved.....Thoughts?

Comment

For the record, I'm on an older Interferon that has been very effective for me. Neither my Neuro or I am in a hurry to be making any changes but I like having options in case they are needed later.

If you dig around, I think someone mentioned it was on track to go on sale sometime next year (and next year is getting close).

I haven't seen anything about cost, however. That issue could be hair raising or it might not. We'll just have to wait and see. You should also ask yourself how much of a hurry you are in to be part of the first wave of (non trial) patients to get the Rx. Personally, this is where I'd be very conservative and let some other bold pioneers blaze the trail.

BG-12's trials have been quieter than the previous pill, which is good, IMO. We just won't know how effective it is or what kind of side effects are possible until its taken by a larger population sample.

Comment

Cost

BG-12 was on the evening news - they said the annual cost will be $50,000 - similiar to the other MS drugs...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
          You should also ask yourself how much of a hurry you are in to be part of the first wave of (non trial) patients to get the Rx. Personally, this is where I'd be very conservative and let some other bold pioneers blaze the trail.
          My neuro's view is "never be the first on a med, and never be the last one to switch to the new meds, either." So, a middle road view. I would dearly love a safer, better option, but will probably wait a year or so after approval to consider BG-12, provided it gets approved, of course. The more we hear about Gilenya, for examplel the happier I am my neuro told me no way.

I'll let those with a higher tolerance for risk go first, and I wish them good health and great results!

Comment

In answer to your question moolk,

A decision from the FDA will be out before the end of the year. Here is an article from NMSS about the BG-12 pill:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/new....aspx?nid=6906
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Seasha,

Sorry, but when I click the link you provided I only get “webpage cannot be found”. Can you re-check the link, please?

I think the BG-12 application was submitted Feb 28. The FDA goal is to rule within 10 months so it should be decided by the end of the year. The application was for taking the med twice a day, I believe.

Comment

Sorry about that - I forgot to proofread!

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/res....aspx?nid=6906

Hope this works and thanks myoak~
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                X