Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ Rest Area Newbies Lounge, Sep. 16 '12

Welcome to .......Newbies Lounge
    a special haven for our family of newbies Dx'd w/MS in recent days or years and old-timers that are newbies at
    heart, or just want to help. Just follow the green arrow to our Newbies Lounge.

Being a newbie can be just as scary and lonely as being in limbo. I know because I have been there and done that.
    When I first got my formal MS dx, I felt lost, alone and tossed into a sea of hungry sharks.

Remember we are your MS family away from family. The BIG question answered means many more new questions and decisions.
    we understand like no non-MSer ever could.

Take a well deserved break from your travels on the MSuper highway,pull into a nice cozy shady parking spot, Unwind in our (always perfect weather) Newbies Lounge, pitch a tent or just lay out a blanket and enjoy the crisp cool fresh air . Help yourself to fresh Cider and donuts. The camp fire is roaring in the open pit ready for hot dogs, marshmallows and smore's Feel free to share your ideas, experiences and support to your fellow newbies. Relax, you are among friends, friends that understand. We have a virtual soap box, feel free to vent anytime.

Remember this is YOUR lounge
    , so enjoy it, hey doc's have their own lounge and this one is OURS! (We have better fresher coffee anyway...ha ha.)

PLEASE.... Let US know how YOU, a member of our MS newbies family is doing.

Have a QUESTION? Please don't be shy........
    The only dumb stupid question........is the one NOT asked.

How was your Week?........
    ...Good I hope, Any Dr.apts tests etc?

....Any Dr. apts. tests etc.
    Gomer [COLOR=Navy][I][B]Sir Falls-a-lot[COLOR=Red]

Falls here and another cold front due this w/e. YAY !

We are bobbing between 88 and 90 this week. Humidity droped to 60 %.

The Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts and Beans all came up. The herbs made it through the whole hot summer as well a me.

Still no relapse. I will be seeing my Primary this week for the whole blood w/u. It will be interesting to see where my Vit. D is at this point. The Doc.'s RN told me that increased Vit D causes the bones to absorb more calcium. I have never had a broken bone, YET! But - Xtra Calcium in the bones might mean I will make it to my grave without a broken bone.

(Gomer - I had to move my flag mount this week using a ladder and on concrete. No wobbles or falls. Flag looks great now and it is not in the middle of my trees.)

I called my Neuro and my Neuro/Cog. test results will be another week before they are all calculated. I told them that I was on two other meds. that are used as an adjunct to to anti-depressants but are also anti-seizure meds. 2,400 mg. worth. I asked them if they still wanted to go on with the extended EEG and other seizure tests? They said no but call us if anything changes." I think that they have that on a recorded message. They left out the, "...take two aspirins and see me..."

So perhaps they have dropped the seizure thing. I asked if they wanted me to do any other tests and all they said was the to be sure to have my Primary include the Vit. D test.

So...so far all is still well.
    Dave, Tampa FL 90 deg. and 60 % hum.
    "Journeyman"

Comment

Good morning, fellas

DH is the one with the green thumb, yet I am trying my hand at growing an Avocado tree. I read online how to root it when I looked up a guacamole recipe and put it in a pot yesterday. It is outside now enjoying the morning rain. It will have to come inside when the nights get into the forties.

You guys take care and have a great day

Hugs,
      Minnie

Comment

Hey all. Just checking in this week. I've been feeling pretty good. I booked a cruise for me and my girlfriend a while back and it's finally coming up soon! I went to the website and it said 12 days til cruising, woo hoo! I am getting excited. Man do I need a vacation.

I don't know whether I have a green thumb or not, but usually when I plant something it doesn't die. In my family that give me a green thumb, lol. Anyways I have been wanting to plant a hazelnut tree. I think I will when I get back. I like the way they look and I love hazel nuts, so if I can get one started it'll be a win win. I've been reading about mini lemon trees that you can grow in a pot in the house. I imagine that would smell great all year round. Then again, it seems like tree abuse to have teeny little lemon tree.
        You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

Summer is gone

Hello all,

Summer seems to have come to an end. My favorite season is about to come into play, Fall. I love the changing leaves and the smell of Fall in the air. Breathe in and take a whiff. Ahhhh, smells so good!

Well, for me, I see the Neuro tomorrow to see about starting on Copaxone. Still not sure I want to get on a DMD. But I think I have to face reality and if this can help slow the progression then this will be another one I have to live on my list. I am better than most that I am newly DX after two years in limbo.

I will let you know what the neuro says later. I am off to hopefully get my braces off after two years. YEAH!

Have a great day and remember to smell the air ...MMMM it smells so good!
          STR

Comment

Oh yeah, congrats journeyman on your successful ladder usage!

Gomer, where are you this week?
            You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

Ali with the Green Thumb

I don't know where you live but you should check with Agricultural department where you live about what grows best there.

I found out this year that I can grow herbs out the galoo but most of my veggies die or get eaten. I lived in Vermont and found that if you pland "companion" plants near them they will survive. I planted Basil around my tomatoes. I had no problem with any insects. So...at least I found something that works. Now I have a bushel of Basil. It just keeps growing.

The Hazel nut tree sounds like a great idea. But the miniture Lemon tree is sort of a trick they do to tourist in FL. First they need the outside. Second they take three to five years to bloom and put on fruit. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You can go in any store and buy miniture grapefruit trees etc. Check with the Agriculture dept. before investing any money. They will tell you the truth. I have lived in FL all my live and have never seen one except the one my parents bought when we first moved here. They died.

Congratulations on your cruise. If you are in the MS category take a vacation any time you are capable. We went to VT, NH, and NY in the depth of summer. All the lush green, wild flowers, and my wife driving to the top of Mt. Washington was such a renewal. The fresh cool air and being on the same level as the clouds was invigorating. We have tried to go every summer but my relapse showed up. This year it was late so we ran for it. It was just what we both needed. You go for it and get charged up. I am so happy for you and yours.
              Dave Tampa, FL
              "Journeyman"

Comment

alishape............. I am here, but I am being careful.

With Jman Dav's recent 'have no fear' being near, let alone ON steps/ladders, I don't want to see the result.

It's getting down right cool here lately. Lows in the 40s!

This week was, going to be a no doctoring week for me. I got a call today and now I have one Friday morning. I was planning to wait till next week to have pre-surgery labs done, but since my Dr apt is 40 miles away and the labs place is also in the same direction, I guess I will do that on the same trip as well. With gas going at about $4/gal I try and save on and combine travel more than usual.

I also now have two appointments instead of one the following week.

At least I have my car working again.

Now EVERYONE, be good and be safe,
                ........................(that includes you Jman Dav)

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

I keep forgetting.

I am only half blind in my right eye which I keep forgetting because my brain fills in the missing part. I wish it would do that for the rest of my brain.

The only time I notice it is when I call it ON - (one of the writers who posted once that it is like looking through a screen door.) That is what it is like only it seems to be both eyes are effected. It usually only last a day and comes on suddenly and leaves the same way.

I didn't have ON while on the ladder. There are just some things that I feel are important to risk the sacrifice. I try to fly my flag on important occasions. The tree grew over it and you couldn't see it. It was more dangerous to try to cut the branch than to put the ladder on a stable place. I now can fly my flag proudly.

Gomer there is another thing we do here for our fallen. That road that follows the bay and our restraunt sits on is the street that they bring the fallen soldiers on when they take them to the cemetery. The fire trucks put up their high ladders across that street and hang an American flag over it. There is a corner called Freedom corner and each Friday people show up and hold their flags or salute all of the soldiers that are leaving the base to go home.

When they bring a fallen on that street a lot of people come out with their flags. I usually go when I can. I hold my flag and salute the hearse as it goes by. Most of them were just kids and could have been my son. He was a Marine and it could have been him. My flag is very important to me.

So far still no signs of relapse. Can't believe this is happening. The only fear I have is when I go to bed at night I truly fear that I am going to wake up in relapse. The fear is so bad that I can't fall asleep. My Med. Monitor Doc. Increased my anti-anxiety med and that has helped. Who would have thought that a good thing could be a bad thing. Being a Psych RN I am ashamed of myself that I have that problem.

All is quiet on the appt. front. I hope your's (Gomer) goes OK. So you tell me that your car is now working better than you?

Dave Tampa, Florida 86 deg. 77 % humidity. Yay - Fall is finally here. "Cold" front overhead. (We define Fall as when the high temp. is consistently below 90 deg.)
                  "Journeyman"

Comment

Working...
                  X