No announcement yet.

Wife with MS and cognitive problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi CycleSurgeon it's nice to see medical professionals here telling there stories of there life with MS spouces I sent you a email sorry it took so long to get off my butt not use to asking for help. My wife wordsgood told me about this site it took me til now to join but I am glad I finally did.

Comment

My husband just saw you email. He sent a reply! Sorry so long, he was away.

Lisa
      Moderation Team
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

got it thank you

Comment

Hubby has the MS. Serious cognitive issues over the years. We try to keep a sense of humor about it. Laugh when words can't be found. He doesn't talk much on the phone, including to his parents which is tough. But it's just so hard and frustrating to find the words and stumbling through a dictionary while on the phone isn't much fun.

There are tough times. But all in all, we handle it well I think.

Comment

i love your attitude mrs1985!
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Cognitive issues

CycleSurgeon, Sorry for Your situation, stay strong. My Wife has had PPMS for 15 yrs. and She has cognitive issues, as well as many issues of ADL, but She deals with all very well(better than I do mostly), by keeping a very positive attitude. She deals with the cognitive issues by keeping things very routine, and writing a lot of things down, mostly She has to deal with keeping Her meds straight, and I do everything else as far as ADL's, plus monitor Her meds just to make sure. I am fortunate to be retired and able to devote full time to Her, but other than one very good friend, mostly on our own. It is getting harder and harder as the only Caregiver to face everyday, but that is My job, and I just hope I can do it as long as She needs Me.

Bob

Comment

Cog Issue

22cyclist - I get my results tomorrow from cognitive tests. I was only diagnosed in July though Dr said the first signs were there in 2004. I am terrified about the results of the cog test and I find myself shutting everyone out of this part of the disease. I have a wonderful, supportive husband but I can't bring myself to let him go to the Dr with me. I read your husband's post on how it helped him to go. I was curious how it was for you. I am afraid for him to hear what the Dr says and what he will think of me after that.

I know this is a very personal question, but I do not have anyone to talk to about this. Anything you can tell me would be helpful

I see you live in Chapel Hill, I live in Raleigh. I love hockey too. Go 'Canes! Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by madlarjack View Post
                  I know this is a very personal question, but I do not have anyone to talk to about this. Anything you can tell me would be helpful
                  Thank you
                  There is a chat room here, you might want to try that, as well. jpt

Comment

Originally posted by madlarjack View Post
                    22cyclist - I get my results tomorrow from cognitive tests. I was only diagnosed in July though Dr said the first signs were there in 2004. I am terrified about the results of the cog test and I find myself shutting everyone out of this part of the disease. I have a wonderful, supportive husband but I can't bring myself to let him go to the Dr with me. I read your husband's post on how it helped him to go. I was curious how it was for you. I am afraid for him to hear what the Dr says and what he will think of me after that.

I see you live in Chapel Hill, I live in Raleigh. I love hockey too. Go 'Canes! Thank you
                    Hi Madlarjack! Nice to meet a fellow caniac on here! I would not worry at all about the psych test. You are just going for a baseline now. The good thing about having your husband go with you is that you can have him in the room when they go over the results, or an abbreviated results, they don't have them all that day, but will get them in a couple of weeks. He will have to sit out in the waiting room while you take the tests. They like to have him there to interview him as well as you about your cognitive issues. Mine had different things to say about my problems than I did. So he contributed. It will also help your hubby understand.

My email is in my profile. Please feel free to email me with any questions, or if you want to meet up to chat. We really live in Apex, but my husband works in Chapel hill, and I am there almost every day for one appointment or another so, just put that...nobody knows Apex. So, we are not that far away from each other.

Take care
                    Lisa
                    Moderation Team
                    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                    Tysabri

Comment

This is a VERY old post, but while I am waiting on anyone to post ANYTHING new about Lemtrada I am going through old posts ...

CycleSurgeon : This is a hard one. I am the ms'er and have had so many lapses in cog function . Like your wife I once was very sharp, quick-witted, able to multi-task perfectly and proud of it. Now not so much. Well to be honest, not even.
                      I think that it was wonderful of you to go with 22cyclist and ask her doctor about this problem. And you are correct to let things go - she feels bad enough about it as it is.

22cyclist : I applaud you - for forging on through your battle with such grace. For using your energy to moderate this forum, and taking the time to reply with such compassion and knowledge.

IMHO most people with MS are quite independent - or were before ... And if anything like me, most of us what to 'do' as much and for as long as we can. Since I was forced into retirement I am now full-time house wife. DH tells me at least 10 times a day that I don't have to do anything. Not an option I always tell him. But sometimes things don't go according to plan.

Example: I drink tea. That means I have to make a gallon of tea every couple of days. But I had a bad habit of putting the tea on and getting distracted and forgetting about it. I went back many times to a scorched pot with no water left it it. First solution was to only make tea while I was in kitchen washing dishes. That helped a little, but I still managed to leave the kitchen with pot still on stove and the eye still on . I finally killed my 'tea pot' (handle broke off) and only then came up with a workable solution - a whistling tea pot.
                      The habit of washing dishes while making tea is still part of the routine, but if I suddenly remember something that I have to do right then the whistle will remind me of the fact that I left tasks unfinished in the kitchen .

I wish that I could offer more suggestions, but that is the only one I have come up with that works every time. Putting things back in the same place all the time only works sometimes. Leaving things in plain sight does not work at all for me.

I miss my mind. If anyone finds it will you please contact me so that I can retrieve it?

Comment

Working...
                      X