No announcement yet.

Investigating Chlamydia Pneumoniae and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was a fairly popular non-immune system stuff-up causes MS theory when I was first diagnosed 15 years ago. It was often talked about, but never really went anywhere.

Comment

Unfortunately, when there is no money to be made, i.e. patented medicine, studies to scientifically establish the validity of a particular treatment such as the one Weldon employed to successfully treat his wife’s MS are sorely lacking. Sometimes you can find a small trial on various alternatives but never find the large trials requisite for FDA approval.

A case can be made that Big Pharma’s representatives in government and non-profits influence what gets studied in large trials and what doesn’t. For example, look at the thousands of people, if not tens of thousands using LDN which demonstrated outstanding effectiveness in a 2008 pilot trial but has never been funded for a larger trial. Not by government, not by non-profits, and certainly not by Big Pharma who understandably doesn’t want effective, safe, and inexpensive treatments competing with their barely effective, terrible safety profile, extremely expensive but very profitable meds.

When people say, “It (Weldon’s treatment of MS) was often talked about, but never really went anywhere”, I agree. It was often talked about because those who tried it and had success talked about it, even though their personal testimony was often ridiculed on this site, sad to say. And it (Weldon protocol) never really went anywhere because there have never been large, definitive trials done on it. At the rate things are going we will never see those trials necessary for FDA approval.

The mistake would be for us to ignore a promising MS treatment just because Big Pharma and friends do. They have financial reasons for doing so. MSers and caregivers have different motives, or at least should have.

Biogen sells tecfidera in the US because they have patent protection for it; Biogen continues to withhold tecfidera from European patients because they do not have patent assurance in the EU, yet. Profit first, patient second. Why would anyone believe it is different with LDN or Weldon’s protocol? Could it be that no patent or profit is why Weldon’s protocol “never really went anywhere”?

Let’s make certain we give what has worked for some MSers a fair and unbiased hearing. It is entirely possible, quite likely IMHO, that there are safer, more effective, and cheaper alternatives in treating MS than current meds. It is not surprising that they are ignored and ridiculed by drug interests. It is surprising how often they are by MSers.

I can't help but notice the absence of some of those in years past who criticized posts about Weldon's treatment of MS. It would be incredibly tragic if they could be well enough today to contribute had they or their doctors followed the protocol mentioned.

God bless those willing to share their experiences. Would we ever have learned of Dr. Weldon and of health restored to his wife were it not for the internet and social media? Her personal testimony is dramatic and can be viewed on YouTube. Times are changing. Transfer of knowledge is quickly increasing. We have wonderful opportunities learn from each other.

Comment

myoak,
        I am in the proces of trying to find out all that I can about the Wheldon protocol. It does seem to be quite a long term treatment with anti-biotics. And supplementing is imperative. This doesn't appear to be impossible. I think that finding a doctor to prescribe the pharmaceuticals will be close to impossible. But if I get the chance to try it, I will.

Comment

Hi Jerry,

Great that you are educating yourself on the issue. You may not see visible signs that LDN is working for you but it is apparent that your cognitive function is not diminishing. Maybe LDN is playing a role in preserving capabilities, after all. I don’t have the time to thoroughly study the Weldon protocol right now but it is of great interest to me, since I consider the premise plausible.

Also, it is entirely possible that you could secure meds required to follow the protocol from overseas pharmacies. The FDA just shut a bunch down last week (1677) but it is still perfectly legal to buy meds from online pharmacies if you have a prescription; in spite of opinions to the contrary. I have no time or need to argue with those who have a different view; with a prescription import is legal, those with a different view are ill-informed.

The FDA is more concerned about overseas meds which do work than ones that don’t; people stop buying meds when they are counterfeit because they don’t work. The FDA is far more concerned about meds which do work and people continue to buy them. Much too painful for big pharma’s bottom line.

For example, a tube ketoconazole cream mfg by Teva which costs $35.50 locally could be purchased for about $4 (mfg by Johnson & Johnson) from some of the internet pharmacies recently shut down. Hundreds of less expensive meds from overseas cuts mightily into drug company profits; so competitors must be shut down under the guise of protecting patients.

You can import everything under the sun from overseas but that freedom ends if it is from a big pharma competitor. Surely, the Pharma industry would not consider bribing journalists to alarm people about overseas counterfeit drugs, would they? Nor would they ever attempt to influence the FDA. Surely not, surely not.

Jerry, if you decide to try the protocol and cost is all that prevents you from doing so, you may want to consider less expensive options. Best to Ya.

Comment

Thanks, Myoak, for the information. I haven't given the cost of the medication any thought. I just hope that my 'naturopath' will go along with my plan, the Wheldon protocol.

Comment

Jerry D

I don't think you will find it difficult to find a doctor in southeast PA.

Comment

Wow.. this got resurrected.. and definitely some interesting information from people. I guess we can only hope, but seems like the "cure" is going to have to come from a different route than this. A shame.

Comment

Wouldn't it be great if there were scientific trials to establish or refute Wheldon's premise that MS is a disease initiated by an infection, perhaps bacterial or possibly viral? Strange, the lack of funding over the years for that kind of investigation and trial.

We can hope for a cure, or we can actually look for a cure. Hexed said, “seems like the "cure" is going to have to come from a different route than this.” Have you evidence to support that statement? Has the Wheldon protocol has been found ineffective in human trials? Perhaps email David Wheldon’s wife Sarah Longlands and let her know what the different route is? Talk about resurrection, check this out:

Please allow me to quote Sarah Longlands from Multiple News February / March 2013 Issue 16

“May this year (2013) it will be ten years since I was given my diagnosis of rapidly advancing
                  SPMS. This rapid advancement continued until August of 2003 then since starting the antibiotic formula I have had no new symptoms and a vast pull back of my existing symptoms, as per the Catalyst programme.

My right arm, from being nearly paralyzed is now fully able to work all day, although it does tend to tire towards the evening, which is to be expected, really, with all the new pathways.

My walking, likewise, is far from perfect and I certainly can't run, which is a shame since I used to be a crosscountry runner in my teens. The main thing is, though, that I can resume my profession a fine-artist and my brain is totally clear and bright.
                  You can see some of my recent work on my website: ” End Quote.

Really, Sarah’s artwork is outstanding, how wonderful that she is able to continue creating such beauty and joy. Her MS treatment was effective. It probably would not be for everyone with MS; no MS treatment has been, thus far. But it doesn’t negate Sarah's experience and we rejoice with her.

We have a choice, we can make snide remarks about the Wheldon protocol or we can seriously study the premise. If only a drug company, non-profit, or government agency was willing to fund scientific trials. But don’t hold your breath. Finding a viral or bacterial cause for MS and treating it inexpensively would kill the goose which lays the golden eggs for several entities.

Jerry, I am so sorry that reliable trials have not been done which could save you and many like you the time, risk, and money necessary to trial this method individually. However, I do have good news to post in the Charcot Project thread tomorrow.

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

Dear mods,

I politely protest that the link to Sarah Longlands was removed. Her statement about the effectiveness of the Wheldon protocol can be verified by her artwork. If she has regained her ability as an artist, as she claims, then that fact can be best established by viewing her work. Therefore, I ask the link to be allowed. Here it is once again, if you please:
                    If the link is not allowed, just Google “avenues of sight” and her website and work can be viewed. This lady is remarkable.

Also, hexed thank you for starting this thread. I’m sure my questions were too pointed in my previous post and I apologize to you. Obviously, you have a robust inquisitiveness which is honest and forthright. You advance the conversations we should all be having. Thank you so much!

**URL address removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

Myoak,
                      Kudos to you. The information is valuable and should be disseminated. Keep on posting and investigating. The Charcot Project is also very intersting, also. Epstein-Barr. Who would of thought of that?

Comment

I have been struggling to find a doctor willing to follow the protocol. I no longer take DMD's - which suppress your immune system to hopefully stop your immune system from attacking your healthy cells.

Infections cause inflammatory response in your body. Maybe your body has inflammation causing autoimmune attacks to the nerve sheaths because the infection lingers.

This is my story - a horrible sinus infection that kept returning soon after stopping the prescribed antibiotics in a continuing vicious cycle. MS followed soon after. I have been on IVIG for building my immunity to prevent sinus infections, but IVIG has significantly reduced my MS symptoms. I was in a wheelchair but now I am walking pretty strong, and I had nerve conduction studies showing no feeling to both legs to the knees and motor loss in the left. i can actually feel surfaces now, and my balance and coordination has improved. I have stopped Betaseron.

As far as the Charcot study - I had my Epstein Barr virus level checked in the middle of non-stop sinus infections. It was 8 times normal.

My vascular and ocular Rosacea has improved with Doxycycline - which I must take forever. IVIG may not help everyone with MS, but for me it has been a miracle. IVIG improves immunity instead of suppressing it - why does it help not only me but many others with MS who are receiving it?

Comment

You are the 2nd person that I have found that used IVIG and improved from being in a wheel chair to walking pretty well. I don't know the statistics, but it is a therapy that is in the arsenal of some neurologists. My neurologist has told me that he does not use it in his practice, point blank.
                          I am happy to hear that you have been having some success with this. Good luck

Comment

Wishing you the best success finding the doctors you need, Ga dancer.

What a tragedy that individual patients have to trial a treatment because no large trials have been done to scientifically verify effectiveness. Talk about living in a primitive society.

You mentioned the elevation of EBV so I thought the following article might interest you:

***see note below***

“The results of this study suggest that the ebb and flow of EBV as it cycles between dormant and active phases could set the stage for the reactivation of MS.”

If the link does not work, enter EBV in the search box and click on the article "MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS AND EBV:RELAPSING TOGETHER"

The Charcot Project is primarily investigating a viral cause for MS. The Wheldon protocol deals with it primarily from a bacterial cause point of view.

An infection (viral or bacterial) which initiates MS with neurodegenerative and autoimmune processes evolving according to genetic susceptibilities and environmental factors is a good bet, IMHO.

Cure is an arguable word, semantics can take interesting turns. If someday it is proven that MS is initiated by an infection and anti-infectious drugs prevent development or exacerbations of MS can we say they are a “cure” for MS even though neurological damage has not been repaired? It depends on how the word cure is defined by different individuals.

In times past individuals having success with particular treatments got their faces ripped off if they mentioned “cure”. But if their own MS was stopped before a great deal of neurological damage occurred it is understandable how they felt. Some of those people made only one post about it because a few of the older MSers with substantial neurological damage who knew very well antibiotics (or anything else) wasn’t going to heal (cure) their neurological damage ripped into them. Hopefully, times are changing.

I am a big proponent of digital health records. Think of the treasures (and dangers) which could be uncovered by analyzing patient data (no names) from doctors and hospitals. We are living in the Dark Ages with paper files hidden in individual doctor’s offices.

Still have to trial treatments individually? How awful, how ridiculous, but it is our present situation. Best wishes for you Ga dancer, I admire your courage.

Myoak - the URL given here doesn't work - please try again!
                            ~Seasha~

Comment

Here is the link again: http://www.healthline.com/health-new...fection-061213

I hope it is working. If not go to healthline.com and enter EBV in the search box to find the article. "Multiple Sclerosis and EBV: Relapsing Together"

"In a new study published on April 11, investigators in Italy found that, in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS), the immune response to the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) appeared to cycle simultaneously with their disease activity, meaning that when the virus was active, so was their MS."

Comment

Thank you so much, Myoak, for this article. I have an appointment coming up with my Infectious Disease doc and I will be printing it out to bring it with me.

He is always interested in what I will come up with each appointment. If I get cut off from IVIG, I told him I will be traveling to Guatemala where antibiotics can be purchased over the counter and I will follow the Wheldon protocol by myself. He did say that he didn't want me taking drugs that may not be pure.

He said he actually believes that most diseases come from bacterial or viral causes and that is why he chose Infectious Disease as his specialty. IVIG has helped both Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, and there may be a causal relationship to bacterial or fungal and neurodegenerative diseases.

Comment

Working...
                                X