N-acetylglucosamine (NAG)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N-acetylglucosamine (NAG)

During my search for supplements, I came across a study published in 2011 that said they found N-acetylglucosamine (NAG) to stop the progression of MS. In lab mice, it changed T-cells, correcting the genetic defect.

What is frustrating but typical is that the doctor involved wanted to move on to human studies but drug companies had no interest since it's widely available. Essentially, the doctor was having issues getting the money to move on to human studies. Proving that the drug companies are really dictating whether a real cure will ever be found.

I bought some today on Amazon. I did a search of the boards and found some mention of it last year but nothing specific. Has anyone been using it & seen a difference? I read it can help with stiffness & nerve pain in some.

If you are using it, what dosage?
    Diagnosed: May 2012
    Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
    Plegridy - starting 12/14

i was passed along info on that study from my in-laws and started taking nag several (5?) months ago.

I take 500mg every day, and i buy it at VitaminShoppe.

of course, its hard to tell if it is helping - but i dont have any side effects so i will continue to take.
    Katie
    dx rrms: 2/12
    copaxone 3/12 - current
    dx pcos 6/13
    gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

I've been taking Jarrow Formulas NAG 750 now for a couple years now, every day.

You should also look into N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC) which is being trialed with Copaxone. I take NAC every day as well.

Do they help? Hard to tell as I take many other supplements for my MS.

Comment

I take N-A-G 750 from Jarrow. I have for about 1 year. I take one 750 mg cap per day. I tried one morning and night, but found that it upset my digestion a bit.
        I also take N-acetyl-L-cysteine based on what I read in a book called Minding My Mitochondria, which I recommend; it was written by a doctor names Terry Wahls, who reversed her PPMS with diet and electrical stimulation of her nerves. She's on youtube.
        I also take turmeric. It helps with nerve pain, gives me more coordination.
        I still exercise too.
        I haven't had a flair up in 7 years, I think because of the turmeric (I take no meds), but I'll keep taking the other things too.

Comment

Glad to see a couple of you taking Jarrow's NAG 750 because that's the one I bought

I'll definitely look into NAC now as well. I should buy a pill box while I'm at it so I can keep track of everything between meds, vitamins, supplements. lol
          Diagnosed: May 2012
          Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
          Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

i just had to upgrade the size of my pill box since ive added on supplements!! haha kinda made me feel weird going and buying a mega sized one.
            Katie
            dx rrms: 2/12
            copaxone 3/12 - current
            dx pcos 6/13
            gluten free, sugar free, dairy free = feeling great!

Comment

Hmm.. I just read that some study recommends 3500 mg of NAG per day. that's a lot!
              So I did took that much today. It may be coincidence, but I can type pretty fast today.
              I'm going to keep trying.

Comment

NAG

Originally posted by Nebbykoo View Post
                Hmm.. I just read that some study recommends 3500 mg of NAG per day. that's a lot!
                So I did took that much today. It may be coincidence, but I can type pretty fast today.
                I'm going to keep trying.
                Been taking it since the study came out. My neuro says i should be WC bound based on MRI but not. I can still walk, not great or far. I think its because of the NAG and LDN.

Comment

Working...
                X