young and misunderstood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

young and misunderstood

I was diagnosed with MS when I was 17. Im 25 now, and am having a difficult time finding people around my ago who can relate to having this disease. Anyone else feel like their friends or family mistake fatigue for laziness, or memory loss for stupidity?

My dad thinks I'm a hypochondriac. He doesn't really acknowledge medical or emotional issues though:/

Comment

Welcome to MSWorld!! We are so glad you found us! It's tough having MS, but especially dx when young. Hopefully, in your lifetime some concrete solutions will be brought to life. In the meantime, we all here can understand the frustrations and angst on this winding road...

There was a post going around that I can't find right now about explaining what it feels like to have MS. But if you google the words "When we say we can't do something because we don't feel well, put yourself in our shoes by using the examples of our symptoms below", you'll find a complete list of sx told in a somewhat humorous way. print it out and pass it along!

Seriously tho I would use this opportunity to educate yourself about MS and in turn, you can help educate all those around you who might otherwise call you "lazy" or whatever. You are your own advocate.

Please visit us often as we do understand!! Be well~
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hellooo

Hi thaigress, I know it can be hard finding people in your age group to communicate with. I'm about the same age (diagnosed at 19 & am 23 now). I'd be happy to chat with you, or add you on facebook or something.

~Elly
        I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

Comment

Originally posted by floatingurboat View Post
          Hi thaigress, I know it can be hard finding people in your age group to communicate with. I'm about the same age (diagnosed at 19 & am 23 now). I'd be happy to chat with you, or add you on facebook or something.

~Elly
          Hi Elly,
          Im actually 33 now lol. Time sure has flown. I still have some difficulty looking young and "healthy". Id be more than happy to be friends on fb or anything

Comment

Hi xthaigressx,

Elly's reply was so long ago that I doubt if she will reply to yours, but did you know that MSWorld has a FB page?

https://www.facebook.com/MSWorld.Fan.Page/

An excellent way to connect with other MS folks!
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
            X