Grip strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grip strength

Sorry to be posting yet ANOTHER thread, but I'm curious. Have any of you gotten PT/OT for grip strength. When I'm initially checked on a neuro check, it seems fine, most of the time, but it deteriorates quickly - enough that I can't finish a load of dishes (oh, I wish my dishwasher still worked), and half the time my hubby has to pull things out of the oven for me (dropped a lovely load of fries on the floor).

I know right now it's probably worse, because I'm in a flare, and it will take a while for my hands to come all the way back.
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

I have a strong grip; my neuro always checks. Don't know why since my left hand is so numb, but thats how it is.
    You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Please forgive the huge font. My eyes are very bad. I have horrible grip strength . In part due to 3 problems MS ,RA and cervical spine damage. My Left hand I can't pick up or lift anything . With it I can't make even curl my fingers inwards half way to make a fist. My right hand I can lift a cup but use the left forearm to support it. Can use a pen to write but can use a large handle spoon and fork to eat most days. Still I push myself to get better . Meaning I try to pick things up and drop and break things at times.
      My medical group just got occupational therapy add to it so I'm hopeful of things getting a little better with time and aid .

Lose of grip can happen with the numbness,weakness of the MS . Or it may be from a different source . At any rate its a pain in the rear to deal with. Therapy can help . Your not alone in these by a long shot. Many people with MS lose so or part of their grip strength but you may be able to get some or all of it back with some work.
      dx.SPMS (baclofen,gabapenin,norco)
      started tecfidera 7/10/2013
      rituxan 11/13/2012 stopped due to side effect &it didn't help me (for RA and MS)
      copaxone started 4/2012 but stopped due to bad allergic reaction
      Matt.19;26 “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Comment

In the past few weeks I have lost some strength in my rt hand/arm, due in large part I believe to the "hug" on my upper arm.

My chiro told me my delt minor muscle (I think that's what she called it) was very tight & that can restrict blood flow to my arm/hand. Probably still a "MS thing" but the tight muscle isn't helping!

To stretch that muscle she told me to stand in a door frame, reach back & grab the frame at shoulder height, hold it a few seconds. The move your hand up a couple of inches, hold again. You should feel a stretch in your chest.
        DX 10/2008
        Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
        Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
        Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

My grip is OK as long as I don't need to use my grip for more than very short bursts. I can say pick up my scooter parts and put them in the car, but I can not stir something on the stove for long.

Sometime when working with tools on a project my left hand/fingers muscles spaz & turns into a useless claw for a while. Ain't MS FUN?

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Hi spydre! I am going to move your thread to the Occupational Therapy with Susan Dorne sub forum under the Wellness Room forum. Susan has a wealth of information to assist you! She will find your thread more easily here.

You might want to also search in this forum for other threads that relate to your problem.

btw, I had some PT for my grip problem. I was given some kind of putty (kinda like silly putty) to work on to build up some strength. I have broken so many dishes and glasses, my husband swears he's going to buy us plastic to eat and drink out of.
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

hello. I posted a thread here in the occ. therapy section and Susan made some good suggestions. Maybe go read? my typing not great and gets worse the longer i do it.

don't feel alone, am in limbo land without diagnosis, but same issues with grip, mine weak to begin with, and putzes out whenever, this week total broken item damage is round $35. add that to the bubble wrap bill so i don't break me moving around? Nearly as much as buying a home, lol.
              Share the chocolate and no one has to thumb wrestle for it.
              Besides, chasing you down isn't an option, my bubble wrap suit isn't built for speed.

Comment

The suggestions are under 'Many questions, but esp tools for HANDS needed' post.

I'm glad to help. Keep me posted.
                Be Well,
                Susan

Comment

Working...
                X