Mnay questions, but esp tools for HANDS needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mnay questions, but esp tools for HANDS needed

Hello to everyone, and especially you Susan. Thank you so much for generously sharing your time and expertise! You rock!

No MS diagnosis yet, and i do realize some of my issues are linked to cervical spine stuff that has been corrected, I had done 4 months of excellent PT, and been practicing a home program for a year, but about 3 months ago, my hand, arm, and leg strength went, and i foot twists, but i check out fine as far as my past treatments and the repair surgery done, had a new MRI and check up with neurosurgeon last week. He feels I have more going on for a long time that was covered up by my spinal issues, and am waiting to get into a the right neuro for eval. My present one took the "learn to live with it" attitude. NOT happening!

SO, my question is, finding help, aides, work arounds especially for my hands. My dominant hand is worse than the other. Merely gripping for more than a minute or two causes muscle spasms, and i often am dropping objects due to grip. I do not feel confident in my arm strength to drive very often, and wow, is cabin fever raging! Also with 3 grands born last 15 months and another on the way, I am unable to trust my hands and arms to hold them, r pick them up - very limiting, and unable to spend as much one on one time with them as i would like. Dropping babies just not good to do!

I am creative, so cooking, crafts, attempts to paint, and putter with my gardening, those kids ofthings are a challenge. As you can tel, typing challenges me too, and am a writer at heart! What suggestions do you have for actual helps to hold things better, and help with strength? At this time my right hand will make a fist, but unable to aply pressure on anything much. have noticed for example kitchen spoons and uch with bigger handles, and some give, are easier to use.

Am sure this has been covered already so if you can provide links to specific discussions or articles, I would be grateful. Thanks for letting me pick your brain. I have a doc appt weds, and am going to ask for occupational therapy to be ordered.

wishing you love and laughter, and that what you give comes back many times over,
    Flow.
    Share the chocolate and no one has to thumb wrestle for it.
    Besides, chasing you down isn't an option, my bubble wrap suit isn't built for speed.

I'm sorry to hear about your challenges and we certainly want to work around limitations you may be facing to keep things going!

As you mentioned, you found it easier to hold kitchen item that have a larger grip. That is one of my suggestions, a larger handle is easier to hold especially if it is textured i.e. rubber.
    Be careful not to make it too big, it can actually make it harder. Size needs will vary depending on the item and purpose. Trial and error is the best way to check, always keeping safety in mind.

Another aspect to the item is the weight. The more the weight, the quicker the muscles will fatigue, especially when already weak.
    Avoid breakable items that have weight ie use foam cup (fill 1/2 way) instead of coffee mug

Some people benefit by resting the elbow on the table. This not only provides support but will eliminate use of additional strength having to keep arm up.

Use both hands when you can. For instance, when I go to a restaurant and they give me a heavy glass, I use both hands to pick up and hold. I also ask for a different glass or mug
    Use electric / battery power when available such as blender (Hold with both hands if need be) instead of stirring, electric toothbrush is wider and easier to use.
    Depending on your needs, there are thin gloves that are textured.

Wrist position is also important. If you bend your hand down, your hand naturally opens. When you bring your hand up, your fingers will bend. With that being said, look at the position of your wrist, it is extremely hard to close your hand and hold something if your wrist is bent down.

I hope these suggestions are helpful.
    Keep us posted
    Side note - Use lotion at night when you aren't using hands
    Be Well,
    Susan

Comment

Susan, thank you so much for the helpful suggestions. Took a while to get back here, the "whatever I have" is in high gear. Waiting to hear about getting in with a neuro connected to nearby teaching hospital, fresh eyes, hopefully is a great diagnostician.

are there any kind of multipurpose grippers made that can transfer from one item to another? No luck searching online. Your suggestion of the gloves probably a better thing to use. I have a few pairs of thick fabric work gloves where the palms and fingers have rubber dots, will keep a pair handy. Was lucky when i dropped the extra lare can of dog food on my bare foot, at base of toes, no breaks just nasty bruising where the edge of e can hit.

Again, many thanks. Have a grea week!
      Besides, chasing you down isn't an option, my bubble wrap suit isn't built for speed.

Comment

This is going to sound odd but The Canadian National Institute for the Blind (stay with me, I know you're not blind) has so many easy-grip and large handled items in their on line catalogue. They are pretty reasonably priced too. Have a look, I went there for things for visual impairment and found so much more. Good luck!
        Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Jen, thank you so much for shring your resource. truly appreciated. Now that is thinking outside the box!

Comment

When I was a kid, my Granny lived with us. One night she took a fall that was so bad she broke both her wrists, ending up with 2 casts.

My dad made some eating utensils, hairbrush, toothbursh, etc. easy for her to hold while in the casts by taking 2 pieces of wood, putting 1 on each side of the handle and wrapping it with wire to hold in place. I thought this was genius! My Granny was a stubborn Scotish lady and literally would have starved rather than have someone feed her. I guess necessity really is the mother of invention!
            Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Hello Everyone
              In addition to my suggestions above, I wanted to add the importance of exercising your forearms where there are muscles that control fingers and wrist.....especially if you are noticing weakness in hands.

You can do so by holding objects from around the house that has various weights such as soup can for one hand and water bottle that may give room for both hands.

Be creative and share suggestions
              Be Well,
              Susan

Comment

Working...
              X