This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Diet

Well I see everyone has been talking about Diet and MS. So I am going to put in my two cents. I started seeing a Nutritionist about six months ago. One of her biggest things is to eliminate sugar from your diet. You would be surprised at where all they hide it. I have lost 30 lbs since starting to see her. I try to follow her advice. She is really into whole foods. I also am not allowed to ear margarine on her diet. On this diet I am not allowed to eat Hydrigenated Oils(Margarine) and things containing those oils. Before I started seeing her I was trying to avoid the Hydrogenated Oils. One of the worst things about this is I had to change my brand of mayonaise. I enjoy that I do get to enjoy a good steak as often as I can. I say that cow is one of the food groups.

I'm sure you were healthier than you were before, though steak is not a main ingredient in any of the MS diets and is only allowed in small quantities in some. Margarine is definitely a no-no, so it's good that you're eliminating that.

Bear in mind that the Swank diet originated because of the observation that during World War II the incidence of multiple sclerosis dropped significantly where meat and fat consumption had decreased. In fact, the same thing for heart disease happened and started back up after the war was over.

There's a nice summary here: http://franksherwood.com/tnms.htm

Comment

I know that some people say that steak is a no-no. I just cannot give it up. I enjoy it too much. I eat steak when I can and I use real butter whenever I need it. Now I've got to work out the cheesecake dilemma. I need a good cheesecake recipe that is suger-free and does not use nutrasweet.

Comment

Are you kidding or what? I appreciate a good sense of humor but there is a limit to my good nature. In what universe do you think educated adults believe that red meat and dairy and a preponderance of sugar are in any way conducive to an MS diet. I feel that you are 'baiting' us.
        Let me guess, you have been seeing a nutritionist who thinks that 'cheese cake' is OK in small servings.
        Read the Swank diet and you will see that your entire post is something of a 'knock knock' joke. You know Swank followed people who were on his diet for 30+ years.

Let's not turn this thread into a discussion between members who disagree. No one will win such a discussion. MSWorld guidelines state: "1. INTERNET ETIQUETTE: Show respect for others at all times.

Comment

You could be right, Jerry. He's taking the mickey. Or maybe he feels he found a better diet that allows steak, since he has so much confidence in his nutritionist. Some nutritionists obsess about sugar.

In any case, It's worth noting that "diet" in the case of MS is not about losing weight (though you most likely will). The two should not be confused.

The swank and Jelinek (OMS) diets are based 1st on the observations that during the war, where there was less meat and fat, there were fewer exacerbations and geographically, in the same country, where less animal fat was eaten, there was less MS.

Swank tested the theory on MS patients over 30 years. There are certainly things you can find wrong with his study. However, there is no risk and in fact, it is a healthy diet. We all know that if we eat a "normal" diet, we'll be fat and unhealthy like everyone else. With a swank-type diet, we will be healthy and the promise of the diet is lower progression. Take a look on the webs. Also, it's actually not too difficult.

Good luck.

Comment

Well the nutritionist I am seeing touts real foods. Plenty of vegetables, and not alot of grains either. The no sugar thing is hers. I'm the person who says that there three food groups. They are cow, not cow, and then they had to split that last one and add cheesecake.

Comment

I am closing this thread because there are only a few of you responding. And this thread is going nowhere.
              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
              volunteer
              MS World
              hunterd@msworld.org
              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
              X